Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5 reasons to buy a

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, I am just posting a quick list of "Why you should buy a Tesla Model 3" and some reasons not to buy one. I don't sugar coat it so here is the list. Hope you enjoy!

Why Buy
1. Efficiency
2. Reliability theory
3. Power (speed)
4. Sedan (space)

1. Despite the range on whatever model you purchase, it's literally over 120 MPGE (miles per gallon equivalent) compared to its nearest gas and hybrid competitor (as of 2019 58 MPG Hyundai Ioniq hybrid).

2. This goes that the less moving parts, the better chance of less breaking down over time. Think of solid state drives and hard drives. 10k plus moving parts in a internal combustion engine/ hybrid vs roughly 220 moving parts in a Tesla. There is no regular maintenance cost like oil changes, transmission fluid, brake changes, coolant flushes, etc. Most you will need to do is wiper fluid, tires, Hepa Filters, and a few small name items. Welcome to the death of Jiffy Lube.

3. The Tesla's are known for the speed that everyone needs. For being more efficient than a hybrid, they also move faster than a Hellcat. They have NO gears so you don't have shifting hesitations. They're monsters!

4. The Tesla's are 4 door sedans with a Frunk and regular trunk and deep trunk. They have plenty of space and can fit a family of 5 if needed.

BONUS
It has the bells and whistles and a unique style of there own. The model 3 is the only style of its kind with no instrument cluster and a long vent. It's simple yet stylish.

Why NOT Buy
1. Long commutes
2. Laws preventing features / lack of feature follow thru
3. Lack of stock color choices
4. Quality checks

1. With a limited range, it can be argued its not made for long commutes without a charger waiting on either end. If you don't have a NEMA plug at your house or a charger near your job then DO NOT BUY. Level 1 charging is not effective enough for over a 40mile commute one way (80 there and back).

2. Many features such as the autonomous driving require laws to be passed to allow this. This makes certain promises not possible to be deployed since they aren't legal. Many features are teased but have a delay on coming out, such as enhanced summon which has been teased for some time now. This also comes with a lack of features or uncertainty of what else is to come. The basics of not being able to stop at traffic lights should be a basic thing. Turning at stops is a little more complicated but still requested.

3. When choosing a color of your car, you don't have much of a choice on what you get. It's probably more color options buying peppers at a store. The paint is also very cheap looking and scratches easily. For a 50k car (or close to) it should have more options or a way to customize your color for a few thousand dollars extra. (Not my complaint brought up as a valid point).

4. Quality issues are a big part of the problem. When I bought mine it had cracked roof glass that the selling team didn't notice. If I hadn't inspected my delivery I would have had to pay for it out of pocket. I have heard many other issues but it's annoying that you pay nearly or more than 50k to have MAJOR defects or issues.

Even Steven Ground
1. Cost
2. Range anxiety

1. The cost is even because you're essentially buying a luxury car for a decent price. Something that'll put a M3 (67k price tag) to shame. The upfront cost is high, but you WILL make up for it in gas saving and maintaining cost.

2. Range anxiety is a thing with gas too. The milage read on the screen is literally a plus or minus 2 miles!!! It tells you the range remaining when you arrive and literally tells you if you can make a round trip or not. It now even shows you level 2 chargers in the area so you don't have to use a super charger! Range anxiety happens with gas engines but they won't tell you what your tank will be like when you arrive nor will it let you know if you can make it back... So yeah.

Hope you all liked this. I know these have been gone over but I think it's important to put it out there. I love my model 3 so far and hope you all do too.
If you are looking to buy click Here and get atleast 1000 free Supercharger miles or however many may be available at a promotional time.

If anyone has anything to add or argue PLEASE feel free to comment!

Attachments

• IMG_20190526_140016.jpg
    IMG_20190526_140016.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 70
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC and Nels
1. With a limited range, it can be argued its not made for long commutes without a charger waiting on either end. If you don't have a NEMA plug at your house or a charger near your job then DO NOT BUY. Level 1 charging is not effective enough for over a 40mile commute one way (80 there and back).

But even if you don't currently have a 14-50 plug it's not too expensive to add one in the grand scheme of things. I ran upgraded wiring and upgraded the sub panel in my detached garage for less than $400 with the help of a friend that's an electrician. To fill up the tahoe I'm driving it's at least $50 a tank. So after 8 tanks worth of driving for me it'll pay for its self.

Unless you live in a place where you can't upgrade your electrical set up it should pay off in a short amount of time.

But even if you don't currently have a 14-50 plug it's not too expensive to add one in the grand scheme of things. I ran upgraded wiring and upgraded the sub panel in my detached garage for less than $400 with the help of a friend that's an electrician. To fill up the tahoe I'm driving it's at least $50 a tank. So after 8 tanks worth of driving for me it'll pay for its self.

Unless you live in a place where you can't upgrade your electrical set up it should pay off in a short amount of time.
I added one for 345 in Washington state... Worth it!! I completely agree with you there.

...to the NOT buy list:

5. Cabin noise
6. Very long repair times/parts availability
7. Missing basic features (proper blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alerts).
8. Unreliable AP (for now): lots of phantom braking and other issues.

...to the NOT buy list:

5. Cabin noise
7. Missing basic features (proper blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alerts).
Cabin noise is quiet imo
Don't miss blind spot monitor once I adjusted my mirrors properly. RCTA, don't miss it either.
AP is super reliable for me if I use it per the manual

...to the NOT buy list:

5. Cabin noise
I experience phantom breaking sometimes which is annoying. But it's rarely any concern of hard breaking. No other car drives like it on AP.
As for blindspot, use the camera button and you can see parallel with your trunk... Perfect monitor and the sensors tell you! I learned that trick from an Uber driver and it's changed my driving.
Cabin noise is hit or miss so it depends but with ICE you have engine and cabin noise. I personally always listen to music so no road noise for me....
Good points. I like them!