Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5 Seat MX Glamping

Will you consider camping in your Tesla?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A full size air mattress fits nicely in the 5 seat MX. The wheel wells are only 39" apart. The missing middle raised floor section is replace 38"x29" plywood. Notice the twine tying the nozzle down to the trunk handle. Because the mattress is slightly crushed between the wheel wells, it wants to bow up in the center.

Tesla MX Mattress  2016-12-23 at 9.45.17 PM.png
Tesla MX Mattress 2016-12-23 at 9.23.11 PM.png

goneskiian, said "I consider this more along the lines of "car camping."

I'm glad to hear that.

I was worried that people would say the opposite. "Sleeping on a full size mattress in a strong metal and glass, locked, silent and secured structure with full control HVAC and internet isn't camping. It's more like a mobile home without the fossil fuels and noise."

It's the full control HVAC without fossil fuels and noise that makes it work for me.

Ok, you just crossed the last piece of advantage the Model S has over Model X besides initial purchase price: cargo area. Not only can properly ordered and factory equipped X tow 5,000# of any medium bulky items on appropriate trailers, but it can haul cargo inside the back, and also mattress!

Now, the only reason anybody should purchase Model S is because it is cheaper. Model S can go further than Model X, but not by far; in each case, paying more for battery solves that. You could pay more and get a 100 Model X, but there's a 40K luxury tax right now for the stupid Ludicras mode on the X. Other than that, the 90 pack is OK, and price is the only thing holding most people back on the X, and maybe little things like cornering speed and garage height. Those seem like small things. There's reliability, but that's eclipsed now with the better X features.

To me, price is the only reason to get a Model S instead of Model X.

Last edited:
Just to further the discussion, I just priced a model S with the same features as my model X, and the difference is $3k. For me, that's well worth the difference. Granted, I'm getting a 5-seat X, so it's apples-to-apples. The 6- and 7-seater people will see a bigger jump.
I have a 5 seater on order. I hear the 6 seater is still the best selling X. Do you have any thoughts on whether resale on the 5 seater will be an issue compared to the 6 seater? Are the majority of Model X purchasers families with a need for more seating?

I have a 5 seater on order. I hear the 6 seater is still the best selling X. Do you have any thoughts on whether resale on the 5 seater will be an issue compared to the 6 seater? Are the majority of Model X purchasers families with a need for more seating?

I just don't know. There are a lot more 6- and 7-seaters, but then that's all that was available for a long time. It's only recently that they finally started making 5-seaters. Tesla must think the majority of the market is for families, since that's what they built first, or it could be that they wanted to sell the more expensive models first. But I can also tell you there are a lot passionate 5-seat owners and owner-want-to-be's in these forums.

I don't think resale value will be an issue for the 5-seaters any more so than for the other versions. There are a lot of people that like the Utility in SUV's. And I don't think you're going to want to sell this car anytime soon, so why worry about something so far away. I think (with my biased opinion, of course) that this is the best configuration for the size vehicle anyway.

Reactions: beths11 and Fiddler
Ok, you just crossed the last piece of advantage the Model S has over Model X besides initial purchase price: cargo area. Not only can properly ordered and factory equipped X tow 5,000# of any medium bulky items on appropriate trailers, but it can haul cargo inside the back, and also mattress!

Now, the only reason anybody should purchase Model S is because it is cheaper. Model S can go further than Model X, but not by far; in each case, paying more for battery solves that. You could pay more and get a 100 Model X, but there's a 40K luxury tax right now for the stupid Ludicras mode on the X. Other than that, the 90 pack is OK, and price is the only thing holding most people back on the X, and maybe little things like cornering speed and garage height. Those seem like small things. There's reliability, but that's eclipsed now with the better X features.

I wouldn't even consider an X due to the way it looks (I could get over this part though) and, more importantly, the fact that the middle seats don't fold/tuck away, we can fold our middle row down and lay down in the back of the S; great for napping at superchargers or tag-team driving... Unless I'm wrong and somehow those middle row pedestal seats can fold flat or be removed easily?

• Disagree
Reactions: CmdrThor
I wouldn't even consider an X due to the way it looks (I could get over this part though) and, more importantly, the fact that the middle seats don't fold/tuck away, we can fold our middle row down and lay down in the back of the S; great for napping at superchargers or tag-team driving... Unless I'm wrong and somehow those middle row pedestal seats can fold flat or be removed easily?

You're right, the pedestal seats in the 6- and 7-seater don't fold, but the 5-seat model 2nd row bench does fold. They're very similar to the S bench, except that they also recline in the X. But I'll grant you that the S is a lot sexier.

I considered buying an S but after test driving both what sold me on the MX was sitting higher and the wonderful visibility one gets with the X windshield. I considered a 6 seater but ordered the 5 seater because of the ability to fold the 2nd row bench seat flat.

The S has regular people back doors. I can open all of them in most places without weird front/back door negotiations. My X doesn't work similarly. I had to direct my mother-in-law out of the opposing FWD today because hers wouldn't open due to a garage pillar. A regular person door would have swung past it fine.

The efficiency benefit on the S is not to be discounted so quickly, either. I'm at 299Wh/mi on my S, 334Wh/mi on my X (though it's more like 330 in the last 2000 miles). A 10% penalty is not small and makes long trips slower due to charging times.

The S drives a whole lot better. My early 2014 Model S is a boatload more fun than my 2016 Model X.

My fold-flat seat Model S seats 7 (I have jump seats). The fold-flat X seats 5.

Listen, I love them both for their own reasons, but I find it quite unfair to say that the X has somehow surpassed the S in every category. Far from it.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and Fiddler
You never did give us consumption numbers on your trip, did you? I'm picking up the Airstream tomorrow...

Hm perhaps I did not. Going through my screenshots it looks like I averaged around 650 Wh/mi.

I just towed a much smaller U-Haul 5x8 enclosed trailer 165 miles. At 65 mph I averaged around 565 Wh/mi and at 70 mph it was about 595 Wh/mi.