Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5-seat option will delay your Model X until mid-year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this was always in the design studio since I just got access to it, but if you select the 5-seat configuration (even with the P90D), you get the "available mid 2016" note as well. I'm probably going with a regular 90D and 7 seats so this doesn't specifically affect me, but thought others might want to know in case you are trying to put together the ideal SHIP IT TO ME NOW configuration. :)

5-seater - mid 2016.jpg

Que folding second row speculation in 3,.... 2,.... 1,....

;-)

LOL. My speculation is that the 5 seat configuration will solve Seatgate. Therefore, it is a new 2nd row design that will be constructed at 901 Page Road (where the Reveal was). I think it will also need to be dummy crash tested, too. These are some of the reasons for them being "Available mid 2016". Tesla time will tell...:eek:

LOL. My speculation is that the 5 seat configuration will solve Seatgate. Therefore, it is a new 2nd row design that will be constructed at 901 Page Road (where the Reveal was). I think it will also need to be dummy crash tested, too. These are some of the reasons for them being "Available mid 2016". Tesla time will tell...:eek:

Especially since they do say "maximize cargo capacity" in the description.

If the 5 seat will fold, then why not just come out and say it? How many people will be upset if they find out later that the folding seats were an option but they were not told? This could be worse than the 72 amp Easter Egg where some are speculating a lawsuit could be pending for non disclosure.

This could be worse than the 72 amp Easter Egg where some are speculating a lawsuit could be pending for non disclosure.

What a huge joke.

My smart car came configured with a hidden option on it. It has a few dozen hidden options, and even an entire hidden sports trim level that's not available through online configurators or anywhere else unless you specifically ask for those options with a dealership. It's an extremely common automotive practice and I can't believe there are many first-time carbuyers whose first car just happens to be a Model X, or people who will purchase a 80k+ car without doing any bit of research.

Welcome to Tesla, the company iterates cars far more than any other car company in the world. They may have 5 configured folding seats in mid-2016. They may also have autopilot 2.0, an upgrade to ludicrous, mirrorless Model X, or any number of new options by mid 2016. These are not things that you can sue over.

That's put a spanner in my works. I was kinda OK with stumping up for a P85D but I have zero interest in 7 seats. Sticks me back to a 2017 delivery then by the sounds of it here in Germany as mid-2016 in Tesla speak means October, and me being in Europe........dream on.

That's put a spanner in my works. I was kinda OK with stumping up for a P85D but I have zero interest in 7 seats. Sticks me back to a 2017 delivery then by the sounds of it here in Germany as mid-2016 in Tesla speak means October, and me being in Europe........dream on.
Actually I doubt it will affect anyone whose delivery was already going to be mid 2016 or later. I just think they haven't finalized the complete design yet for the 5-seater. But once they do, they'll be able to build it for any market.

Actually I doubt it will affect anyone whose delivery was already going to be mid 2016 or later.

Well officially they told me Spring 2016 but I think we can safely forget that....although would be nice if Tesla told me of course. I have had no updates since March 2015 so if I was not on these forums I would be sat here expecting my car to rock up in a few months.

Also the point the original poster was making is that ordering a P85D shows "regular" delivery time for reserved orders (whatever that may be) and selecting 5 seats instantly flicks it into the "dont-hold-yer-breath" file along with 90D or 70D selections. Seems clear to me that ordering 5 seats is an issue for some reason.

The issue may be simply that they only WANT to make 7 seat P85D models for the next 9 months. Or it might be that they actually have an issue with the 5 seater.

Considering that the first hand-built models were delivered in late September you would have to assume they actually had their seating layouts planned for the model back in......like August and earlier of last year!!! And you would hope it was a lot earlier than that.

So on the basis that they will not deliver a 5 seater until 12 months after the founder models I am gonna guess they have a new design fold-flat version on the drawing board. Makes total sense to me as so many people went bonkers over "Seatgate".

Otherwise if they actually have 5 seat, 6 seat and 7 seat parts on the shelf then why would they not sell them - unless 100% purely for the extra $4,000 markup margin and to simplify their production line?

But with all due respect I think for people that have paid deposits it's already bad enough that ordering a 90D or 70D throws you to the back of the queue, and now 5 seats chucks you back down the line. I fear that not ordering the upgraded stereo will now also chuck you down the queue.........

Last edited:
@johnnyduval - You do realize there is no 85 version of the X don't you? Just clarifying which Tesla model you're referring to. ;-)

On the rest of your post, I agree that we get more speculation because Tesla refuses to disclose their specs. I'm holding out for a test drive and more information on the 5 seater.

But with all due respect I think for people that have paid deposits it's already bad enough that ordering a 90D or 70D throws you to the back of the queue, and now 5 seats chucks you back down the line. I fear that not ordering the upgraded stereo will now also chuck you down the queue.........

Perhaps the 5 seater is an afterthought - maybe fallout of seatgate. If that's the case, there may be legitimate reasons for the delay of this variant, like product modifications, qualifications, approvals, etc. Most of the time you'll find that TM has good intentions, unfortunately you can't please everyone ..as the saying goes - damned if you do and damned if you don't!

Also, others have questioned why a maturing Tesla would need to prioritize sales of higher-end models since they are flush with cash, but I suspect that cashflow is still very tight considering production line expansions, Gigafactory construction, SuperCharger buildout, etc., etc., etc. ..not to mention having to manage the Street's expectations.

You do realize there is no 85 version of the X don't you?

Sorry typo - I meant the top dollar P90D thing.

but I suspect that cashflow is still very tight considering production line expansions, Gigafactory construction, SuperCharger buildout, etc., etc., etc. ..not to mention having to manage the Street's expectations.

When you can only get limited units out the door there is a huge difference between shifting $80,000 units and fully specced $130,000 units. And trying not to sound sarcastic but the whole TESLA model is a house of cards, so perception on the street and revenue is very important at this stage. Not because the extra $50,000 per car is actually gonna pay for much......but increasing revenues will help when they have to raise the next round of cash.

p.s. Now you mention it does seem a bit weird to have a 5 seat, 6 seat and a 7 seat configuration which lends weight to your afterthought theory. Most manufacturers run with a logical 5+2 option.

I'm holding out for a test drive and more information on the 5 seater.

So you would ideally like a test drive of a 5 seat Model X ? Ha ha ha. That's a good one. Better chance of a test drive on a Northern White Rhino 'cos there are more of them available these days.

Last edited:
I definitely think the 5 seat option is a result of "seatgate". That was a pretty massive uproar and some DS's have already admitted that the 6 seat option came about as a result of so many calling them out on the lack of folding seats.

No, I don't need to drive a 5 seater, but I would like more information on how exactly the 5 seater is implemented. I'm really hoping for more vertical space in the boot with the lack of the 3rd row, and I'm hoping that second row will fold, but I'm not holding my breath.

I don't really need a test drive of the X at all as I've driven an S enough to know I'll love it. The P85D was pretty mind blowing and I didn't even get to floor it. This was even before Ludicrous was released. What I do need to do is test fit it in my garage. It's gonna be a tight squeeze lengthwise in my mid century garage.

Also the point the original poster was making is that ordering a P85D shows "regular" delivery time for reserved orders (whatever that may be) and selecting 5 seats instantly flicks it into the "dont-hold-yer-breath" file along with 90D or 70D selections. Seems clear to me that ordering 5 seats is an issue for some reason.
Yes, as the OP, I agree that was the point I was making. There's an "issue" with the 5-seat option that may even delay P90D orders. Whether the issue is that they don't have it fully baked yet or they are just trying to squeeze out the highest ticket cars first is anyone's guess.

Considering that the first hand-built models were delivered in late September you would have to assume they actually had their seating layouts planned for the model back in......like August and earlier of last year!!! And you would hope it was a lot earlier than that.
Not consistent with Elon time. The 6-seat option probably wasn't even considered until they got all the flack about the 7-seater not having enough linear cargo space for long items like skis (and, of course, all that lumber that some apparently like to carry around). The Sigs originally had no option but 7 seats. The 6-seat option actually showed up in the Sig design studio a few weeks *after* the Sig folks had access to it. Those with confirmed orders for 7 seats were contacted to see if they would prefer a 6-seat option. Not sure if Sigs have been retroactively offered the 5-seat option, but I doubt it. There were no 5-seaters at the reveal. I think they literally just came up with that design option within the last month. Speculation, I know, but I don't think it's a stretch.

So on the basis that they will not deliver a 5 seater until 12 months after the founder models I am gonna guess they have a new design fold-flat version on the drawing board. Makes total sense to me as so many people went bonkers over "Seatgate".

Otherwise if they actually have 5 seat, 6 seat and 7 seat parts on the shelf then why would they not sell them - unless 100% purely for the extra $4,000 markup margin and to simplify their production line?
Because they don't have those parts on the shelf. It's not just a question of omitting the rear seats for the 5-seater. If they do that, they leave a gaping hole where the current rear bench seat is. They need to have a finalized design for the rear interior (behind the 3-seat row) and that means further design work, modelling (not the Talulah kind), prototyping, then eventually programming the stampers, welders and sewing machines to make the parts that make up that portion of the interior. It's probably not a large design problem, but it does have to be done. And I think it was really a last minute addition to offer the 5-seat option (and even the 6-seat option). Otherwise, why not let the Sigs select 5, 6 or 7 seats from the beginning?

I think we've already gone over this but prioritizing the fully loaded model of a car that is in high demand is not only consistent with what other car companies have been doing for years (I went through that with my 2006 Highlander Hybrid), but it also makes good business sense (at least as far as the economics are concerned). It does result in disappointed customers though, as well as encouraging deposit holders to spend more than they originally intended - to go for a higher priced, "more fully featured" model - in order to get their cars sooner.

prioritizing the fully loaded model of a car that is in high demand is not only consistent with what other car companies have been doing for years

It happens for sure, I just can't think of it happening on quite this scale before? And yes I agree it makes good business sense.....but for me it is the sign of a company under quite some time pressure and financial stress.

Clearly the nice, honourable, respectful way to treat customers that put down deposits 3 years ago, and gave you blind reservations (that allowed you to plan a business and raise funding), would be to service them in the order of their reservations. We are all big enough and ugly enough to understand business and the need for profits......but this move for me doesn't sit very well with the tree-hugger image that E.M. and the company try and portray. It's not exactly Mr. Nice Guy

It surely cannot be THAT hard to roll out a P90D or a 90D or a 70D - they have experience with this on the S. So it is JUST about the money.

When you can only get limited units out the door there is a huge difference between shifting $80,000 units and fully specced $130,000 units. And trying not to sound sarcastic but the whole TESLA model is a house of cards, so perception on the street and revenue is very important at this stage. Not because the extra $50,000 per car is actually gonna pay for much......but increasing revenues will help when they have to raise the next round of cash.

p.s. Now you mention it does seem a bit weird to have a 5 seat, 6 seat and a 7 seat configuration which lends weight to your afterthought theory. Most manufacturers run with a logical 5+2 option.

So you would ideally like a test drive of a 5 seat Model X ? Ha ha ha. That's a good one. Better chance of a test drive on a Northern White Rhino 'cos there are more of them available these days.

You know Johnny, when you post content without all the drama and exaggeration, the content really shines through and people hear what you say. I've always known you weren't a troll (never called you one). Hope you continue to be a valued member of this forum.

Just posted a new thread, as modelxtracker.com now shows 2 VINs assigned for 5 seat variants, one on 3/3 and next on 3/8/15, so maybe we are all joining the slow ramp up to the production numbers EM posted in Q1 report...not 2nd half of year, but actually mid-2016 like the order confirmation page showed us! Yeah!

I have a funny suspicion that the reason for the early 90D and 5-seater is due to a large number of reservations holders not confirming their order (and Tesla is desperate to deliver cars). Once the drive-events wrap up and the stores have demo models, I think that will get most people to either confirm or cancel their order.