Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5 Seat X variant is coming sooner than later, but when?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a suspicion Elon misinterpreted the message as:

"We ordered a Model X in November and it was built in January but hasn't been delivered yet. When will you get through the backlog of delayed deliveries?"

Whereas the poster really meant:

"We reserved a Model X in November and confirmed it in January. It's a five seater and we don't have a VIN or delivery estimate yet. When might we expect deliveries to start?"

I am posting this to share some information and seek some input.

After years of waiting, I am getting close to ordering my MX 90D. I was able to test drive an MX on March 26, 2016 for the allotted 15 minutes. (This test drive required me to travel several hours each way over Easter weekend.) I liked the car and configured at that time, but I have not ordered.

I have had my reservation for about 2½ years. (My reservation number is 5xxx.) I have had virtually no substantive communication from Tesla during that time. I was happy to receive an email from Tesla on April 4, 2016. The email stated:
“We've ramped up Model X production significantly and accelerated delivery timelines. In just a couple of weeks, we'll be opening up orders online and in-store for Model X. Before we do that, we'd like to invite you to configure yours first.” I called a Model X hotline that the email mentioned was available for immediate assistance. I was told that this “opening” will occur in a couple of weeks.

Tesla’s email encouragement to order stated: “If you confirm now, the estimated delivery window is April/May 2016.” As I suspected, this is not true for those who want a 5-seater. To the contrary, two people at Tesla told me that if I order my 5-seater now, I could expect to get it: 1) in the second half of the year, and 2) before the end of the year (not “mid-2016" as currently indicated on the Tesla web site). This is a potential complication for receiving the tax credit for this year.

I would like to spend more than 15 minutes driving the MX before committing to it. I have been unable to see a 5-seater or get much information about it. Also, I was told by two people at Tesla that an MX will be available to see in a store in Florida by the end of April 2016. Assuming that this is accurate, I think it pays to wait at least for that opportunity (even if it means another multi-hour trip to test drive the MX).

If you have any estimate of the practical effect of Tesla “opening up orders online and in-store for Model X” for a customer who wants to buy a 5-seater, please let me know. How many 5-seat orders are likely to jump ahead of me per week or month? There is no reliable information as to when Tesla will actually start to produce the 5-seater.

For reasons that are obvious to anyone who has spent time on TMC, I cannot depend on Tesla’s stated time frames. I am not comfortable giving them too much lead time to produce my 5-seat MX. They now say they will deliver it by the end of the year. What if, after I order, delivery takes even longer than the end of the year (or doesn't come at all due to lack of customers)? (Should I bet my time and deposit against that?)

EVger +100, you and I are on the same page. I too am waiting for the 5 seat version and received the email. I don't think they are ready to produce the 5 seat version and are "opening up the reservation process to the public" to try and drum up more 90 7 and 6 seat sales.

I haven't seen the car in person and was told we should be seeing models in showrooms in April. I doubt we will see the 5 seat version. I also want a 70D which delays me even further.

I have a basic question. Why do folks want the 5 seat version - is it because you want maximum storage or it because you don't see the point of spending $3k for an extra seat?

If either case, isn't a similarly configured Model S the better choice?

I've debated why I'm waiting for an X myself - I originally placed a reservation because I wanted the AWD, which they have since added to the S, so at this point, I'm getting an X over an S only for the additional seating and the FWD.

"isn't a similarly configured Model S the better choice?" Not for me.
After many MX delays, I test drove the MS again. The MS is too low and has too little headroom for me. The front seats are set back behind the B pillar and the door sills are high making entry and egress difficult for me. The MS would be fine for the cargo room I need. I want a bench seat in the second row for my dogs. Of course, I don't want to spend extra money, carry extra weight, or take up extra room. I really don't want the FWD or the extra large windshield on the MX either, but I want to support Tesla (despite the poor customer service). Beyond the MS and MX, there really isn't a lot of choice at this time.

• Informative
Reactions: umeshunni
most of us like the higher ride, higher volume, higher mass of SUV/CUV over sedans, and have grown kids not needing car seats, other vehicles to be a people hauler, thus the MX appeals to us for optional storage behind row 2 with greater headroom and size of MS. Thus the MX 5 seater is for us. Plus those FWD are gimmicky but on leading edge of tech. Also, the longer we wait, maybe, just maybe TM will configure the 5 seater with a folding 2nd row of seats prayer.png
Finally, as my byline suggests, knowing the kinks of 6-7 seat variants, it was logical to wait out the first few thousand MX's for TM to get production, fit and finish perfected so we wont be disappointed the day after delivery when FWD mis-align or error messages prevent full, perfect function on day 2 and beyond. All you 5 seater reservists agree?

Tesla has no intention to deliver five seat configuration any time soon.

One can speculate the delivery to be more like late, or longer for delivery to customer as first quarter of 2017 at the earliest.

Never expect any direct communication with Tesla on delivery date of the five seat Model X .