TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

5 week old 2019 Model X with a spontaneous rear control arm failure (or broken frame?)

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by Phreak0, Oct 29, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Phreak0

Phreak0 New Member

2019 Performance Model X with 2.2k miles and no accidents or collisions with curbs or anything else.

1-2 seconds after accelerating from a red light, the left rear tire was grinding in the well and immediately pulled over to find it at a 30 degree angle with the control arm visibly dangling underneath.

I am still awaiting the car to be lifted at the Tesla service center 10 days later for accurate diagnosis. I know of control arm issues but the tech who inspected the car briefly in the parking lot wondered if the aluminum frame is broken after a 6" bolt fell from the car while he reached underneath.

There is zero damage to the wheel or undercarriage so I can't believe they will try to suggest this is somehow my fault or not under warranty.

I feel I was sold a defective vehicle and ask if anyone has had similar experience or advice in making sure I get a replacement vehicle, not some Frankenstein rebuild of what should be my brand new Model X. 20191019_173640.jpg 20191019_173640.jpg 20191019_173650.jpg

2. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

Sorry to hear about your issue.

I suggest waiting for a diagnosis before getting overly concerned about the remediation.

• Like x 1
  3. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Well-Known Member

Everyone wants a brand new vehicle when something like this happens, how ever it is best to have an inspection and find out what the deal is before making demands. Might be an easy fix, or something far more involved.

• Like x 1
  4. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

I will be interested to see what they determine the actual issue was. But they don't owe you a new vehicle, they just have to repair it.

The repair probably won't be that big of a deal.