Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • We just completed a significant update, but we still have some fixes and adjustments to make. Please see this thread for more details and to find out how to revert to the old design. Cheers!

5 week old 2019 Model X with a spontaneous rear control arm failure (or broken frame?)

Phreak0

Oct 29, 2019
Orlando
2019 Performance Model X with 2.2k miles and no accidents or collisions with curbs or anything else.

1-2 seconds after accelerating from a red light, the left rear tire was grinding in the well and immediately pulled over to find it at a 30 degree angle with the control arm visibly dangling underneath.

I am still awaiting the car to be lifted at the Tesla service center 10 days later for accurate diagnosis. I know of control arm issues but the tech who inspected the car briefly in the parking lot wondered if the aluminum frame is broken after a 6" bolt fell from the car while he reached underneath.

There is zero damage to the wheel or undercarriage so I can't believe they will try to suggest this is somehow my fault or not under warranty.

I feel I was sold a defective vehicle and ask if anyone has had similar experience or advice in making sure I get a replacement vehicle, not some Frankenstein rebuild of what should be my brand new Model X.
20191019_173640.jpg
20191019_173640.jpg
20191019_173650.jpg

Upvote 0

MP3Mike

Feb 1, 2016
Oregon
I feel I was sold a defective vehicle and ask if anyone has had similar experience or advice in making sure I get a replacement vehicle, not some Frankenstein rebuild of what should be my brand new Model X.

I will be interested to see what they determine the actual issue was. But they don't owe you a new vehicle, they just have to repair it.

The repair probably won't be that big of a deal.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC