Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5 Year old Model S and what you can expect

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Guys

I was inspired by @bmah’s recent post about his car to document the repairs that my MS has gotten over the years. All have been under warranty.

I have a 2013 Model S P85. I bought the car as a CPO and so the warranty reset at 25,000 miles for another 50,000 mile. I am currently at 60,000 miles with 15,000 miles to go. I will most likely run out of miles before I run out of time. Hopefully this helps others with older cars anticipate what could happen. If you have had other in-warranty repairs please feel free to comment so I can look out for those as well.

Pre-delivery (CPO)

DU replacement due to milling noise

Rear jump seat replacement

Carbon fiber spoiler replacement due to separation.

Carbon fiber yacht floor replacement

New tires and rims

Post-delivery

Front suspension replacement x2. Still have not fully fixed the noise. The first time was due to the recall

Airbag recall

Seatbelt recall

Steering column recall pending

Frunk latch and sensor replacement due to error message

Sound blanket for AC installed to reduce noise

TPMS sensor upgrade from Baolong (sp?) to Contiretro (sp?). This now lets me see PSI on each of the four tires separately. This was due to an error message that regen, stability and traction control were not working. Tesla also replaced the TPMS on my winter wheels (OEM set)

Lug nuts and caps replaced to newer style

Parking break replacement due to error message

Touchscreen and MCU replacement due to bubbles on the screen. 3G replaced with LTE

Wiper fluid nozzles replaced to fan type spray

Inside windshield defogger vents replaced

Tail light assemblies replaced due to water and bugs getting in

Left and right side view mirror assemblies (manual) replaced. The original mechanisms rusted and were difficult to fold manually

DU replacement (second time) due to a warning alert. The cable to the DU was failing

Rim repaired (by another shop) due to a crack

21 inch tires replaced after approx. 20,000 miles each

Front active Louvre replacement. Not sure what this is but I think it relates to the vents that cool the battery

• Informative
Reactions: bmah
The list for my CPO 2014 S60, purchased with fewer than 7000 miles on it:

•Front passenger side door handle replaced (no others, so far).

•Failed UMC replaced (while on a road trip in Oregon)

•Drive Unit replaced, due to noise (got a Q revision rebuilt and have more miles on it than the original — still completely silent).

•Right front knuckle joint replaced (I had reported that the wheel dust shield was loose and rattling).

•MCU replaced (the only failure that prevented me from driving the car normally, since it couldn't be charged). I lucked out and got the newer LTE version.

•12V battery replaced at about 3¾ years from car build date.

•Preventive repairs: One keyfob replaced and one given a new case — I was told that the original cases were subject to cracking. Power steering bolts replaced under recall, while in for routine service.

•Had to make a service visit when I found that four of the lug nuts on one wheel were loose after a previous service visit. I had put more than 2000 miles on the car, some of it at 80 mph. Mobile service told me to get it checked by a service center to be sure that the wheel wasn't damaged (it wasn't). One acorn lug nut on that wheel was stripped and I couldn't get it off — I was replacing the lug nuts with the new style ones — service got it off for me. (Do I really have to check the torque settings on all of my lug nuts when I get the car back from service?)

All of these were done under warranty. I am now well out of warranty so anything else, other than battery or drive unit, is on me.

Other issues:

I replaced my acorn lug nuts with new lug nuts and caps, at my expense. The old acorn lug nuts tended to get stripped — the new ones are way better.

Of concern: My 60 battery is about 13% degraded (181 RM). I have been told that this is normal for 60 batteries. As long as it continues to allow me to make my long road trips, I manage ok, but those longer trip legs are difficult. Service tells me that a replacement battery is currently $16k and would be a software-limited 75 kWh battery since they don't make 60 kWh batteries anymore. Hoping that it will be a bit cheaper when the time comes to do a replacement.

I have also purchased four extra wheels and TPMS valves for use with snow tires. Not really a maintenance issue but it was a considerable extra cost.