Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5 Year Ownership Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
5 Year Ownership Experience
(Moderator’s move this thread if already exists, please).

As 2017 rolls to close, many of us have now experienced five years of ownership of a single Tesla. This is perhaps the key metric for all cars and car companies: the five your ownership experience. Performance. Quality. Recalls. Battery. Drivetrain. Bodywork. Interior and trim. Cost of ownership. JOO (Joy of ownership).

Model S production #1845 arrived at my doorstep on a semi truck (yes a diesel semi truck) five years ago this morning.

In brief:

Unbadged, Midnight blue,
85kWh type “A” battery.

About the 18th car after Signatures, Friends and Family, Canadian Sigs.

113,000 miles.
340 wH/mi average energy use.
Initial range 264, now 244 (full charge).
41 MWh energy total use (needs confirmation, based on recent estimate).

States: 15
Children’s first car driven: 3
Rides by complete curbside stranger without me in the car: 1. Age: 19.
But you should have seen his smile.

Cost of ownership:
Excluding tires, $1953.
What? Yes. That was for a parking brake and a new 12V battery, the latter three days ago. All else covered by warranty. Everything. 133,000 miles.

Total fuel cost for 113,000 miles of driving.
Year 1: $480 for 24,000 miles.
Years 2-5:
$44/month average x 48 months $2112
40MWh of Solar production = Gain of $13,000 after all SREC/utility buy-back over 4 years.
Total fuel cost to date for 113,000 miles of driving: $480 + $2112 + vacation home $600, Minus cost of panels/installation $14K, plus SREC/utility buy-back at $13K:
$3192 - $1000: $2192
(This includes solar panels being paid for, of course Solar panels and car still running...).
That’s 1.9 cents per mile for fuel.

Service: Watertown Service Center, Massachusetts.
Overall experience outstanding and consistent, despite being, I believe, undersupported in a space smaller than they deserve.

Early car, had all the previously established early problems. Doorhandles have been replaced. Charging ring replaced once. Drivetrain replaced a couple of times in just the first 60,000 miles: Milling sound, clunking sound, as each well reported on this form. Current drive train has over 50,000 miles. Sunroof was sticky in closing, fixed remotely from Fremont while I slept.
Break calipers froze at 20,000 miles because I hadn’t use the breaks :)
Touch screen died at 99,000 miles.
Many factory planned upgrades and recalls: Teflon under plate for the battery, and many other Tesla Service Bulletins. Strut replaced. As above, parking brake caliper replaced recently, as was 12 V battery.
Cost: $1953 total, for 113,000 miles.

Last gas pump use: December 12, 2012. Lowell Massachusetts.
Last oil change: early November, 2012.

Software updates: Many many since version 1.1, and far too many to list here. But it’s not just GUI or bling: faster acceleration, speed–adjusted steering modifications, regenerative braking modification, suspension height safety modifications. What the new buyer needs to know here is that these updates continue, And continue to make the car newer and better every day. As of last week, my new, five-year-old Tesla adjusts the seat position as for easy entry as I approach the car, and then moves right back into place as I take off.

Let me know what else you like to hear.
Five-year, continuous owners, post your stories here.
And I’ll say it again, as I first said back in 2012:
Of all the things in life that don’t really matter, this is the best.
And, as Tesla accelerates the advent of electric transport, yes I know – it really does matter.

Photo: Tesla Service Watertown this week, celebrating five years of service, raising a glass of holiday champagne.

Attachments

• A98DDA7F-04AF-4E7F-A3A9-B7FEBA544AA2.jpeg
    A98DDA7F-04AF-4E7F-A3A9-B7FEBA544AA2.jpeg
    385.2 KB · Views: 208
Love it.
I remember your posts of the delivery process as I waited for my "configure email". Considering location and some nasty winters since 2012, I'm impressed at your odometer.
I only made it 4.5 years of "ownwrship" before jumping into an X, with a 3 any day now (hope). Still miss my Green machine.
That "last gas pump use" date should be an engraving on every Tesla key chain (not that we'll have those much longer).

So, planning a 10 year, 250k celebration or thinking of something new that plugs in?

Really appreciate the memory and look back. When I get to a desktop, I’ll post that thread. On the list for a 3. No hurry.
Just sat down for a ride through paved farmroads, along meandering stonewalls here along the lands in Concord, MA, where another revolution began long ago.
Love it.
I remember your posts of the delivery process as I waited for my "configure email". Considering location and some nasty winters since 2012, I'm impressed at your odometer.
I only made it 4.5 years of "ownwrship" before jumping into an X, with a 3 any day now (hope). Still miss my Green machine.
That "last gas pump use" date should be an engraving on every Tesla key chain (not that we'll have those much longer).

So, planning a 10 year, 250k celebration or thinking of something new that plugs in?

Hey that’s a good question.
I bought the 100,000 mile warranty, way back over five years ago it was quite thorough, And I recall asking when I bought it if it covered three things: drivetrain, battery, touchscreen. I believe it did. I do not know if the current 100,000 mile warranty extension covers that. I’m sure I received Goodwill over the years, as many of the owners of early cars have.

Reactions: Snerruc
I’ll add my, albeit condensed, almost 5 year data. She was traded off last week for a 100D.

VIN 44XX
Miles 56,000
Battery 262 new/242 current
Failed components: window motor, one door handle, 12V small battery(all warranty/good will)
Noises that led to replacement: motor drone/milling(twice), Half shaft clunking

This car saw first the frigid cold of the Dakotas and lastly the scorching heat of the southwest. Considering it all, I think the battery held up well. It was a wonderful car but after being in the 100D for a week, it’s evident just how far they’ve come even though they look very similar.

• Love
Reactions: caltrader
Excellent write-up. My main question is: when are we getting together again?!

And I think you should point out that you never did buy snow tires, ever, right?

Sadly I think I've only hit 12 states, but I have hit QC.

Great report!
I've had my S 85kwh for 4.3 years now (94,000 miles) and just love it. Had a door handle, one drive train replaced. Like you I hardly ever use my brakes. At the last yearly service they told me I had 84% left! Like you I purchased the additional warranty to extend out 8 years or 100,000 miles.

This was posted in the Model S section.
I'd be curious to know what the battery degradation numbers are given those years. My rated miles at "full charge" was roughly 255 early on and now it's maybe 245-250. Given friends of mine that opted for a Nissan Leaf who were relatively dissatisfied with their batteries holding power after just two years, I view this as a good sign. Plus Tesla I believe has a 70% battery capability guarantee over 8 years.

Of course I knew that. Just pointing out that there was a Tesla model before the S, which many S owners seem to forget.

And this was a necessary why? Someone posted their 5 year ownership experience with a Model S, in the Model S forum, and you felt slighted and had to interject. Your roadster and its battery module architecture and chemistry(he!!, the entire car) has nearly zero relevance to a Model S other than brand. There are ~2500 roadsters and ~250,000 S. Thanks for being an even-earlier adopter but I think your hurt feelings are out of place and unnecessary.

Last edited:
I'd be curious to know what the battery degradation numbers are given those years. My rated miles at "full charge" was roughly 255 early on and now it's maybe 245-250. Given friends of mine that opted for a Nissan Leaf who were relatively dissatisfied with their batteries holding power after just two years, I view this as a good sign. Plus Tesla I believe has a 70% battery capability guarantee over 8 years.

There’s a website that has user data plotted. I apologize as I can’t recall the site but I think a search of this forum should pull it up. Edit: see this thread for graphic Battery degradation. Also, the 70% guarantee is only expressed for the Model 3 according to an article I just read. Model S and X apparently have no expressed percentage guarantee.

Not that I can post a reference link but if memory serves I read somewhere on the Tesla Forums that Model S was given that warranty before purchasing my Tesla in July '13. It was one of the reasons I pulled the purchase trigger. But I've been wrong before. ;>)