Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

50,000 Mile Club

Our first Model S "Ruby" is now over 86,000 km / 53,000 mi. Our second, "Pearl", my wife's P85D, is still just a 3,000 mi baby.

I am more excited about getting to the 100,000 km mark on "Ruby", which may come soon. In a couple weeks, I will be driving from BC to Iowa for the third time, looking forward to using all those new superchargers through Montana!

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. Our venerable Roadster 2.0 "Saffron" is slowly getting to 40,000 km in local duty. Our total Tesla mileage will exceed 100,000 mi later this year!
 

efusco

Moderator - Model S & X forums
Moderator
That's encouraging. Can the other high-mileage owners also post their range degradation numbers?

I was still getting as high as 261 miles rated on max charge as of last week at just over 50k miles. That number has varied somewhat based upon what firmware version I'm on, however. I've seen as low as the 252 mile rated range on some versions. None the less, degradation has been fairly minimal. My daily 90% is between 232-234 miles.

My original max range was 272 miles, so depending upon which number you believe (252 or 261) that's somewhere between 4-8% range loss.
 

wraithnot

Model 3 VIN #2942 Model S VIN #5785
Dec 16, 2012
571
414
SF Bay Area
That's encouraging. Can the other high-mileage owners also post their range degradation numbers?

Some of us aren't on our original battery packs- mine was replaced for a failed contactor at about 30,000 miles. It was charging up to 263 miles around the time the original pack was replaced at about 30,000 miles. The replacement pack only charged to 257 miles when I first got it, but it improved a bit after some road tripping. The replacement pack (with an unknown total mileage and about 24,000 miles since I got it) charged up to 261 miles on a recent road trip. But in general the number of miles displayed after a 100% charge isn't necessarily the best way to measure battery degradation since the number tends to increase after a few deep discharges and 100% charges.
 

FredTMC

Model S VIN #4925
Dec 26, 2012
3,492
3,794
Orange County CA
I have 42,000 miles.
Max charge 251
A pack
6XXX vin
Jan 2013 purchase

Any of you hi-milers opt to NOT purchase the extended warranty? If so, have you had to take it in and what was the cost?

Thanks!
John

hi john. I went in for annual service right before 50k miles. I haven't purchased the extended warranty and I probably won't.
Rationale is I put a lot of miles on the car. I'll be at 100k miles in about 2 years from now. I doubt I'll have many issues that end up costing substaintually over $4k. We will see.

I still have a little time to decide (30 days) but at this point I'm still leaning against buying the warranty.
 

omarsultan

Active Member
Supporting Member
Jun 22, 2013
4,466
16,613
Northern California
@55K miles, a max charge will yield me 257 +/-2 two rated miles. I max charge a couple of times a week and have not been able to decipher a pattern to the variance from charge to charge, but frankly, don't worry about it all that much either.

- - - Updated - - -

That makes since! $4000 + $200 per incident deductible is a bit hard to swallow. I figure there is a 25% chance I would regret it, and a 75% chance I'd save thousands.
John

Unless they have changed the wording since I bought mine, the extended warranty deductible is per part, not per incident, so if they have to replace, say, the display multiple times over the term of the extended warranty, the deductible applies only the first time.
 

DavidB

2010 Roadster Sport || 2013 S85 || 2017 X100D
Supporting Member
Jul 8, 2013
925
1,220
Silver Spring, MD
That's encouraging. Can the other high-mileage owners also post their range degradation numbers?
I was still getting as high as 261 miles rated on max charge as of last week at just over 50k miles. That number has varied somewhat based upon what firmware version I'm on, however. I've seen as low as the 252 mile rated range on some versions. None the less, degradation has been fairly minimal. My daily 90% is between 232-234 miles.

My original max range was 272 miles, so depending upon which number you believe (252 or 261) that's somewhere between 4-8% range loss.
My 90% varies from 229 to 231 miles. My 100% is around 254 miles.

Unfortunately, I didn't think to record the numbers when my car was brand new.

But in general the number of miles displayed after a 100% charge isn't necessarily the best way to measure battery degradation since the number tends to increase after a few deep discharges and 100% charges.
This. Also Tesla Motors has changed the way the car calculates estimated mileage range several times with the different software versions, so even if I had recorded the original numbers, the data would only give you a ballpark estimate of battery degradation.
 
@MGDURAND... WOW! Your Tesla hit 50 k just after it's first birthday??? That is awesome. You clearly didn't get yours to decorate your garage with, eh? Mine turns a year old next week, and we'll barely hit the 36,000 mile mark. I am not sure if I am impressed or just jealous :)

angel

Fun..

50K at 1 year and a week, last month. (apologies in advance if this sucky UI turns my pic on it's side)
 
I reached my 50th yesterday. You can also see my total and average kWh

20150506_071538.jpg
 

David99

Well-Known Member
Supporting Member
Jan 31, 2014
5,058
8,108
Nomad (mostly US)
after one year I hit 45k miles, so I'm not quite there yet. My original 100% charge was 271 miles, now it's around 253. Considering 271 is more than advertised I'm quite happy. I also don't think these numbers can be compared as is and they change with firmware. We all knew that battery degradation is a fact and will happen. The data we have so far from many car shows that degradation kicks in quicker in the beginning and seems to slow down, so if we see 6% after 50k miles it won't be 12% at 100k, but much less.
 

Cyclone

Cyclonic Member ((.oO))
Jan 12, 2015
5,090
1,179
Charlotte, NC
:(

I should have known that starting this thread would jinx me! Just over 51k miles, and an internal "switch" in the battery pack has failed. I'm waiting for a loaner battery, and should be good to go later today.

Thankfully that should be covered under the 8 year warranty, so at least it isn't costing you anything but pride! ;)
 

DavidB

2010 Roadster Sport || 2013 S85 || 2017 X100D
Supporting Member
Jul 8, 2013
925
1,220
Silver Spring, MD
Thankfully that should be covered under the 8 year warranty, so at least it isn't costing you anything but pride! ;)
True :redface: . In fact, I'd like to give a shout-out to the West Palm Beach service center for their excellent customer service; I dropped my car off last night after they had closed, and I already have my car back with a loaner battery.
 

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.


SUPPORT TMC
Top