TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

50,000 Mile Maintenance Debate

Discussion in 'Model S' started by mathman, Aug 5, 2017.

1. mathman

mathman Member

Hi all -

I just passed the 50,000 mile mark recently, about 32 months into ownership. I had the 25K mile maintenance, which I determined to be a total waste of money for me, as they really didn't do much. There was no need to change my brake fluid, and my HVAC system needed no maintenance, either.

So here I am at the 50K mark, and the only new item is changing the battery coolant. Question is - do I really need this now? Of course, I wouldn't do it myself, but I'm wondering if it's necessary. I don't really need any of the other services, and my car was in at just under 50K for some last minute warranty work, and they checked everything thoroughly at my request.

I'm interested in the community's .02. Money is important, clearly, and I want to save where possible; however, I am willing to spend it if necessary. Thanks!

2. Tam

Tam Active Member

I don't mind paying money to see my dentist as scheduled maintenance even though I know that most likely don't need it.

Most likely, nothing wrong will be found in a routine maintenance but I am willing to pay to get an assurance.

• Like x 2
  3. mathman

mathman Member

Since my vehicle was just thoroughly inspected, I don't think I need an assurance that it's okay. What I'm really wondering about is if the battery coolant/fluid really needs to be changed now or can it wait?

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I'd keep to the schedule. The anti-corrosion chemicals don't last forever. I have no idea how much a corroded battery cooling system costs to replace--and I sure don't want to find out.

5. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

My brake fluid needed to be flushed at 50k. My brakes were getting spongy, which I only really noticed when I got a loaner and it's brakes felt much stiffer.

6. Tam

Tam Active Member

Sorry. I went off topic.

I am no expert but battery coolant replacement is a proactive maintenance schedule.

As @jerry33 stated, it's good to act before the coolant wears off its effectiveness and also to flush out old coolant together with its rust, scale deposit, contaminants...

7. smilepak

smilepak Active Member

I usually try to follow schedule and do it annually. Easier to dispute items under warranty or fix needed as there record when it was last checked and recommendations

8. Reciprocity

Reciprocity Active Member

I would do this one as your Warrenty on all but the power train is running out soon? But you are making me think about skipping my 25k mile. Only thing I paid for in 15k miles is 1 tire rotation.

9. bishoppeak

bishoppeak Member

Brake fluid is hydroscopic(absorbs humidity) and corrosion can occur without any symptoms. Changing it every two years regardless of mileage is a smart move.

• Like x 1
  10. smilepak

smilepak Active Member

I think the maintenance plan is fine. Is 400 year 1&3 then 700 year 2&4

Still cheaper than ICE. Oil change, transmission fluid change, and all other things

11. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Supporting Member

I strongly advise you get the maintenance and have them specifically check for this:

Serious Problem with my 2016 Model S

Mine failed exactly the same way. Scary. I know many out there think this Keef fellow is a troll, but he may well end up on the right side of history.

Time will tell.

12. zwede

zwede 2013 P85+

Coolant replacement is the only maintenance I plan to have done by the SC. I flush the brake fluid myself (I have a Motive pressure bleeder which makes it sooo easy) and the cabin filter swaps out in a minute or two.

13. pfremm

pfremm Member

I noticed in year one they do a Drive Unit(s) fluid service. Anyone know what they do exactly?

14. Tam

Tam Active Member

I don't.

My guess is because there was a question or controversy about drive unit reliability so if it wears off prematurely, may be you can catch it after the 1st year or 12,500 miles by visual inspection of the component as well as observing to see whether there's any metal dust from worn gears in the old fluid.

If there's no bad forensic evidence, let's do it again on the 6th year or 62,500 miles.

15. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

That would be drain and fill the reduction gearbox.