Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

50+ Amp Chargers in St.Louis

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My round trip usually is about 270 miles, to be able to roam around StLouis and return with a buffer range of 50 miles I need charging options. Level 2 @ 20-30mph for few hours would help, ideal if it is in shopping district. Surprised no malls have chargers installed. Recargo lists metrolighting in Chesterfield and Brentwood as locations with J-1772. Wonder if any body had idea how these locations are in terms of safety to leave vehicles and return, passing time.

The Metrolighting in Brentwood is in a large u-shaped strip mall and is all the way at the back. Mostly big box stores like Target, Petsmart, etc. I would be ok leaving it during the day since it is a busy area, not sure about overnight, but I can ask a friend of mine who is a police officer in the neighboring area (Richmond Heights vs Brentwood). I am not at all familiar with the location of the Metrolighting in Chesterfield, but my impression is that since it is a far west suburb, it is generally safer. But no matter where you park, go with the usual caveat of leave nothing out in sight.

Another option is at the Moonrise Hotel. This hotel is on the Delmar Loop. There is a large variety of shops/restaurants, etc here; also a large variety in demographic as it abuts lower income areas to one side and higher income/university area on the other. But the charger is within the valet area of the hotel, so I would feel pretty comfortable about leaving my car there.

The Missouri Botanical Gardens also has a couple of chargers - that is a nice way to kill a couple of hours. The last time I checked the chargers were free, but there is admission. The St. Louis Science Center also has chargers. And of course, depending on your travel schedule, my husband and I would be more than happy to let you use our 14-50 with some advanced notice.

To my knowledge no area malls have chargers, so you are out of luck there. Hopefully more public chargers will start popping up around town. I have seen more and more Leafs and Volts around - so there is def. a market.

The Metrolighting in Brentwood is in a large u-shaped strip mall and is all the way at the back. Mostly big box stores like Target, Petsmart, etc. I would be ok leaving it during the day since it is a busy area, not sure about overnight, but I can ask a friend of mine who is a police officer in the neighboring area (Richmond Heights vs Brentwood). I am not at all familiar with the location of the Metrolighting in Chesterfield, but my impression is that since it is a far west suburb, it is generally safer. But no matter where you park, go with the usual caveat of leave nothing out in sight.

Another option is at the Moonrise Hotel. This hotel is on the Delmar Loop. There is a large variety of shops/restaurants, etc here; also a large variety in demographic as it abuts lower income areas to one side and higher income/university area on the other. But the charger is within the valet area of the hotel, so I would feel pretty comfortable about leaving my car there.

The Missouri Botanical Gardens also has a couple of chargers - that is a nice way to kill a couple of hours. The last time I checked the chargers were free, but there is admission. The St. Louis Science Center also has chargers. And of course, depending on your travel schedule, my husband and I would be more than happy to let you use our 14-50 with some advanced notice.

To my knowledge no area malls have chargers, so you are out of luck there. Hopefully more public chargers will start popping up around town. I have seen more and more Leafs and Volts around - so there is def. a market.

Thanks Bluefeugo for the excellent reply, will try out the Brentwood site and report next week and probably the botanical gardens too. Have a good day

My round trip usually is about 270 miles, to be able to roam around StLouis and return with a buffer range of 50 miles I need charging options. Level 2 @ 20-30mph for few hours would help, ideal if it is in shopping district. Surprised no malls have chargers installed. Recargo lists metrolighting in Chesterfield and Brentwood as locations with J-1772. Wonder if any body had idea how these locations are in terms of safety to leave vehicles and return, passing time.

What Interstate do you take eastbound out of STL? I'm 40 miles east without too much off-the-beaten path and can offer an 80A charge on my HPWC.

- - - Updated - - -

Not to mention the St. Louis Science Center, which has an IMAX theater. I think the Zoo also has some chargers.

Thanks Flasherz, last month we took the rural scenic Route 3 because that takes us to Chesterfield directly bypassing the east side and we wanted to conserve energy going 55mph. Usually our route is 57 N and then 64E. I usually have my 6 and 2 year olds with me and I hesitate to stop at anybody's residence because of the noise kids can potentially make and try to charge in a public place where they have activities. Our destinations usually are Forest park, Brentwood, Kirkwood, zoo, grants farm and botanical garden. Thanks for offering to charge, it would be great to meet you, I will get in touch with you in advance, btw going off topic how are you dealing with the rear facing seats and heat, mine haven't been used for more than a month now.

Thanks Flasherz, last month we took the rural scenic Route 3 because that takes us to Chesterfield directly bypassing the east side and we wanted to conserve energy going 55mph. Usually our route is 57 N and then 64E. I usually have my 6 and 2 year olds with me and I hesitate to stop at anybody's residence because of the noise kids can potentially make and try to charge in a public place where they have activities. Our destinations usually are Forest park, Brentwood, Kirkwood, zoo, grants farm and botanical garden. Thanks for offering to charge, it would be great to meet you, I will get in touch with you in advance, btw going off topic how are you dealing with the rear facing seats and heat, mine haven't been used for more than a month now.

Kids still love them and I haven't tinted or anything... I only heard one complaint on a particularly aggressive 96 degree day so far.

As for the kids, no worries. I live in a rural area and we have a swimming pool. And if they do make noise, they can rival my kids. :)

Thanks once again, we would need to stop for an hour if we need to on our way back. Will get in touch with you in advance, likewise if you visit giant city state park or garden of the gods I am in the area with 14-50

Perfect, thanks! My wife's aunt & uncle live just up the road a bit on Giant City Rd. in Carbondale and have RV outlets for me, but perhaps as a backup. :)

Returned from StLouis science museum last night with a rated range of 130 miles, drove 125 highway miles home with 20 miles of rated range remaining. Adds up to a gain of 15 miles. Drove at 45 mph, heavy rain through out, 257 wh/mi. Moral of the story - drive slow go far. Need to really watch out for those trucks and rear-ending. It was late in the night and did not want to disturb out TMC friends for charging.

Returned from StLouis science museum last night with a rated range of 130 miles, drove 125 highway miles home with 20 miles of rated range remaining. Adds up to a gain of 15 miles. Drove at 45 mph, heavy rain through out, 257 wh/mi. Moral of the story - drive slow go far. Need to really watch out for those trucks and rear-ending. It was late in the night and did not want to disturb out TMC friends for charging.
Glad you made it back without issue. However, for future reference, I'm an extreme night owl...so in the future, don't be afraid to send a PM and see if I'm home and available to assist with a charge. You're much more likely to catch me in the evening or wee hours of the morning than at other times. :cool:

But, yeah...going slower always helps when you're trying to wring out every last mile from the battery.

Glad you made it back without issue. However, for future reference, I'm an extreme night owl...so in the future, don't be afraid to send a PM and see if I'm home and available to assist with a charge. You're much more likely to catch me in the evening or wee hours of the morning than at other times. :cool:

But, yeah...going slower always helps when you're trying to wring out every last mile from the battery.

Thanks very much, will keep in mind. That's going to be very helpful.
My rules have always been to have 30% rated range as a buffer, the options I had last night were with a charging rate of 16 mph to sit for 2 hrs and build the buffer or hit the road slowly and get home, fortunately the route is flat, I didn't need to use heating and but for the rain and being vigilant about rear ending- it's in fact a quieter ride driving at that speed.