Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

50 AMP Extension Cord--important to Have??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is where I've seen differences. NEC 2014 allows for any cord with conductors of size 8 and larger to be fitted with a smaller ground per table 250.122 of the NEC. Take note, though, some jurisdictions don't allow for that exception. Chicago, for example, says that in flexible cord the ground shall be no smaller than the circuit conductors regardless of conductor size.

50 amp requires a #10 ground.

Digging up this thread from the dead!

Would this cable be acceptable for an 14-50 extension cable? It's not SOOW, but looks exactly the same. It says it is "indoor" cable, but if I am gentle with the cable, would it be okay for occasional use? I plan to use it when visiting a couple locations with hard to reach 14-50 receptacles.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_294914-295-63950032_1z0yt31__?productId=50188983&Ns=p_product_price|1&pl=1

That's NM cable, or "Romex", intended for use as infrastructure wiring. It's some pretty stiff stuff and rather hard to manage for portable means. Overuse can result in the wire breaking strands from bending/manipulating it too much.

According to Code, it's not acceptable to use extension cords in any case because Tesla's instructions forbid it (NEC 110.3), so from a legal/insurance/liability standpoint, it doesn't really matter what you use.

Will it work? Yes. Will it be safe? The first few times, but if you begin to use it regularly, especially bending and twisting it, it can begin to break the strands in the cable. Is it legal? Not at all.

If you think you require an extension cord, it's best to source the rubber jacketed cord.

You don't really need a 14-50 to 14-30 adapter. You can just use a hack saw to "modify" the neutral prong of the male end of the 14-50 extension cord. Then it will fit a 14-50 or 14-30 receptacle (obviously you have to dial down the amperage accordingly), and even plug the modified end into the 14-50 to 10-30 adapter for a 10-30 receptacle.

I bought a 50' extension cord...want to always be prepared for a long stretch to a receptacle.

I'm going to be going to a vacation house with unknown power situation soon. I picked up a 14-50 to 14-30 and 14-50 to 10-30 adapter. When I get there, if I need an extension cord, I'm going to get it delivered right there with Amazon Prime:

Amazon.com: Camco 55195 50 AMP 30 Extension Cord with PowerGrip Handle: Automotive

Basically I don't see that I should buy it until I need it.

You don't really need a 14-50 to 14-30 adapter. You can just use a hack saw to "modify" the neutral prong of the male end of the 14-50 extension cord. Then it will fit a 14-50 or 14-30 receptacle (obviously you have to dial down the amperage accordingly), and even plug the modified end into the 14-50 to 10-30 adapter for a 10-30 receptacle.

I bought a 50' extension cord...want to always be prepared for a long stretch to a receptacle.

I had gotten the 30 foot version, because of hearing how crazy heavy the 50 foot one is, and I thought, "Really, when would 30 feet not reach?" Well...I just got back from a trip, and I wished I had gotten the 50 foot instead of the 30 foot. The laundry room of the house we stayed at was in the basement (ugh). I did get it up the stairs and out the side door, which was right next to the driveway. Should have been fine, except they had these dense prickly evergreen bushes so tight on both sides of the driveway that I couldn't fit my car up there! I actually scratched it some trying to get it up there between the bushes!

That's NM cable, or "Romex", intended for use as infrastructure wiring. It's some pretty stiff stuff and rather hard to manage for portable means. Overuse can result in the wire breaking strands from bending/manipulating it too much.

According to Code, it's not acceptable to use extension cords in any case because Tesla's instructions forbid it (NEC 110.3), so from a legal/insurance/liability standpoint, it doesn't really matter what you use.

Will it work? Yes. Will it be safe? The first few times, but if you begin to use it regularly, especially bending and twisting it, it can begin to break the strands in the cable. Is it legal? Not at all.

If you think you require an extension cord, it's best to source the rubber jacketed cord.

Which one do you recommend or is this Home Depot one fine?
http://m.homedepot.com/p/Rodale-50-ft-50-Amp-RV-Extension-Cord-with-LED-RV50A50WL/202669075?AID=11210757&PID=7111873&SID=skim37170X963217X43be562462f3cb635559754212cf40d7&cm_mmc=CJ-_-7111873-_-11210757&cj=true

Moving to a house where the outlet is on the opposite side of the garage that I want.

Moving to a house where the outlet is on the opposite side of the garage that I want.

In a case like that, I would pay to add a second 14-50, move the original one, or put in a switch box and a new 14-50 (the switch box would activate only one 14-50 at a time to meet code).

Using a 50 Amp extension cord occasionally on trips is one thing. Using it permanently at home is a bad idea.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
If you are going to drive anywhere away from Superchargers and do not have a CHAdeMO adapter, I recommend buying the Camco 55195 50 AMP 30 foot Extension Cord. I drove from Birmingham AL, charged up in New Albany MS at the library and arrived in Memphis TN with 15 miles remaining. My uncle told me that I could use his 220V power but when I arrived he would only let me us a 115V 15 amp circuit that would take over 3 days to charge. My cousin had a 50 welder (6-50) receptacle in his garage and because of a too steep a ramp I would not have been able to reach it with the 30 foot extension cord. I purchased a CHAdeMO adapter as an additional charging option.

In a case like that, I would pay to add a second 14-50, move the original one, or put in a switch box and a new 14-50 (the switch box would activate only one 14-50 at a time to meet code).

Using a 50 Amp extension cord occasionally on trips is one thing. Using it permanently at home is a bad idea.
I second that. Move the outlet. Shouldn't cost all that much, especially if you don't mind conduit mounted on the wall (it's a garage, that kind of thing just makes it look more manly...yeah, that's it...)

Thanks. I'm leasing the house so I'll ask. They already installed it on the left garage wall and put the outlet in. If the wire is already terminated at the outlet would they be able to reconnect what's already then to a second wire and run it along a metal tunnel along garage wall?

Thanks. I'm leasing the house so I'll ask. They already installed it on the left garage wall and put the outlet in. If the wire is already terminated at the outlet would they be able to reconnect what's already then to a second wire and run it along a metal tunnel along garage wall?
Yes, they can. Buy why don't you just park on that side and use the outlet where it is? The UMC should reach.

Yes, they can. Buy why don't you just park on that side and use the outlet where it is? The UMC should reach.

They built the house in such a way that you have to pull in and back all the way out to the street. Can do it of course but the right garage has a lot more room to pull, back out then put out into the street facing the street. Not a big deal either way. Thanks.

If you are going to drive anywhere away from Superchargers and do not have a CHAdeMO adapter, I recommend buying the Camco 55195 50 AMP 30 foot Extension Cord.

That one is really big, heavy and bulky since it has an extra wire that is not used by Tesla. It's easy to make a lightweight and flexible one using these parts:

6 3 SOOW So Cord 30 ft HD USA Portable Outdoor Indoor 600 V Flexible Wire Cable | eBay

Camco 55353 50 Amp Female Replacement Receptacle New Free Shipping | eBay

Camco Power Cord Plug 50 Amp Electric Male Connector RV camper Travel Trailer | eBay

But mark it "Tesla Only" since it should never be used for RV's or damage will result!

More here:

How to build a lightweight 50A extension cord

Yes, you can use the existing receptacle box as a junction box and do an extension run using proper wiring techniques to the place where you need it, and it's reversible.

- - - Updated - - -

In a case like that, I would pay to add a second 14-50, move the original one, or put in a switch box and a new 14-50 (the switch box would activate only one 14-50 at a time to meet code)

Actually, it's legal to place a second 50 amp receptacle on the circuit. You'd need to use proper connectors to join the wires, since you'll have 3 #6's to join together. I would just convert the existing receptacle box into a junction box and run conduit along the surface to the location you need it.

Reactions: Snerruc
I'll be taking my new Tesla to visit family at Christmas. I won't have any problem using the Superchargers along I-70 to get there but it would be hard to get back to a Supercharger without some 240 volt charging since I'll probably be using the car for multiple trips back and forth between my brother's house and my grandma's house (over the river, through the woods, etc.).

The good news is that I found my brother has a 6-50 outlet in his garage. I was thinking that I might be able to track down the old Tesla 6-50 adapter and then use the UMC and an extension cord with a 6-50 plug and receptacle. I would probably leave the extension cord with my brother as I wouldn't need it an any of my other planned trips. The total cost would be about $150 and would only work at his place, assuming I leave the extension cord with him.

Instead of getting the Tesla adapter and extension cord for 6-50 outlets, would it be better to get an extension cord for 14-50 outlets as well as a 6-50 pigtail adapter? This option would be slightly more expensive but a lot more versatile since I could potentially use it on other road trips. Theoretically, I could also get other pigtail adapters, if necessary and use them with the same extension cord.

Opinions?

Since the official 6-50 adapter isn’t available anymore, that may be difficult. If you want versatility, yes, the 14-50 extension cord would be the way to go. I have a 30 foot Camco 14-50 extension cord (search Amazon), and some pigtail adapters I got from EVSEadapters.com that go to 10-30, 14-30, and TT-30. They also have 6-50 ones as well.

So that is a very useful solution. However, I do have a recommendation. At 30 feet or 50 feet, a real 14-50 extension cord is very heavy, stiff, and difficult to work with. I would recommend making your own cord because of this:

A 14-50 has four pins: hot1, hot2, neutral, and ground. The Tesla charging system doesn’t use the neutral in a 14-50 and doesn’t even have it connected in their adapter. So if you buy a real 14-50 cord, that is 30 or 50 feet of a pretty heavy extra wire that you don’t need, and it adds a few extra pounds and makes it less flexible. So I would recommend to just buy a length of copper 6/2 cable, and the Camco plug and receptacle ends and build your own. It’s not very hard to strip the wire and attach the ends. That will give you a cord with all of that usefulness, but it’s easier to work with.

Reactions: Cosmacelf