Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

50 amp receptacle installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems to be an electricians standard to install these receptacles with the ground at the bottom so that in case of a flood the ground gets wet first.

However Tesla designed the mating plug/cord at an angle that prefers the ground at the top, ( so the nomenclature reads normally), You can save a bit of nuisance by instructing the electrician to mount it as pictured on the Tesla charging page.

There is no standard for receptacle orientation. Want to get in a good argument that lasts for weeks? Go to an electrician's forum and declare the best way to orient receptacles. Then, as it starts to die down, declare the best way to orient horizontal receptacles for a boost. :)

Seriously, the argument has been around forever. Some electricians claim protection against flood, although high-amperage sockets are usually several feet off the floor (and well above the standard outlet height). Truth is that if you have a flood that inundates half a 14-50 receptacle, you have a more serious problem on your hands. Some electricians orient all receptacles ground pin up, so that if a metal faceplate comes loose and falls between a plug and the receptacle face, it will only hang on the ground instead of short out the two hot conductors. (On a 14-50 it wouldn't really matter, because you'd have it hanging on the neutral the opposite direction. I was speaking generally about 5-15's.)

Truth is that it really doesn't matter. Install 'em how you'd like. In my shop, they're ground-up; in my house, they're ground-down... preferences based on the guy I paid to install them and I'm not so anal to turn them around. FWIW, I prefer ground-down except 30A+, and they're always ground-up (except twist-lock which is another matter entirely).

(And yes, Tesla's instructions do say ground-up for the strain relief.)

Last edited: