TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

50 amp service down to 32 amps

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Stimyg, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Stimyg

Stimyg Member

I just got my car and had a 14-50 put in with 50 amp service, which works out to 40 amps continuous. However today I noticed that while it runs at 40 amps for a while, pretty soon the car turns itself down to about 34 to 30 amps. What are some of the reasons this might be happening? And more to the point, what can I suggest to my electrician as to how to solve this?

2. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

Feel all adapter plugs, the charger & cord, and the plug going into the S. Nothing should be getting particularly warm to the touch. If you find a hot spot clean any nearby connection. If there is no connection near the hot spot then there could be a problem- call service. Some of the chargers have required replacement. Ditto with the 50A breaker; these should not be getting hot. Keep charger out of direct sun & ventilated as much as possible.

What is voltage shown on Charging Screen as the Amps decline?
    --

3. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Temperature of the car and/or UMC can cause it to reduce power, as will the end of the charging cycle.

4. Stimyg

Stimyg Member

Ah that's interesting, in that it was a very hot and sunny day, and I do charge outdoors.

Any idea what part of the UMC should ideally be kept cooler? Or is it more the car? If I got the HPWC would that help any?

- - - Updated - - -

And about the voltage - I don't recall exactly and it moved around a bit, but I think in the 220s?

5. FlasherZ

I believe it is more of the UMC "box" itself (the contactor/ground fault/interlock circuitry).

6. JPP

JPP Active Member

Outdoor heat and heat of battery pack likely are influencing charging rate & current.

7. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Just to cover our bases...

1. Do you have the dual chargers option?
    2. When it drops to 34 or 30 A, what is your SOC (state of charge)?

8. Stimyg

Stimyg Member

Yes, I have dual chargers. And the SOC was between 60-90%, if I recall correctly.

9. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

It might have been tapering off above 80% even on a 14-50. Not sure if it does that or not. Others that have tracked it know.

10. Stimyg

Stimyg Member

But would the car lower its maximum attempted charging rate? Ie it was showing 32/32, not 32/40.

11. FlasherZ

It lowers the "/xx" when you crank down the charging current, or when the plug isn't fully inserted, or when the car needs to reduce its maximum charge current due to temperature. You may need to attempt to press the up-arrow to attempt raising the charge current again.