Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

50 miles of Loss in Parked Garage in 5 days

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I parked my MS 100D AP 2.5 in my garage on Friday afternoon and it had 201 miles left on the battery. I didn't plug it in because I wanted to see how much loss I would have while on vacation. As on Wed evening (tonight) I have lost about 50 miles worth of charge in 5 days. Is this normal? Temps have been ranging from 60-85 degrees during the day. I had shut off the climate control on the vehicle when I left. I won't be back home for another four days.
Thoughts anyone?

Is energy saving mode on? Always connected mode on? Do you keep pinging the car via app to see charge level?

I wouldn't be surprised if it lost 50 miles in a hot state (AZ/CA) but I think 50 miles of range loss in 5 days is too much if A/C hasn't been cycling on. Hmm. Do you know if temps in the garage go over 104F? Otherwise maybe there is a vampire drain -- check with SC if this is normal behavior.

• Love
Reactions: scottf200
I parked my MS 100D AP 2.5 in my garage on Friday afternoon and it had 201 miles left on the battery. I didn't plug it in because I wanted to see how much loss I would have while on vacation. As on Wed evening (tonight) I have lost about 50 miles worth of charge in 5 days. Is this normal? Temps have been ranging from 60-85 degrees during the day. I had shut off the climate control on the vehicle when I left. I won't be back home for another four days.
Thoughts anyone?

That is higher than I would expect, but not crazy if the car is not sleeping . Did you have power savings mode on? Avoid checking the car using the app too often as it prevents it from going to sleep mode and increases vampire drain.

I get about 1% loss a day with power savings on, less than that If always connected is off. Maybe 2-3% lost each day with that off. The latter would about 8-10 miles a day.

Note that newest model s with new mcu delivered after march 2018 or so may not have these settings as they are managed differently

Is energy saving mode on?
Always connected mode on?
Do you keep pinging the car via app to see charge level?
3 excellent questions.
WtSoxeS.jpg

Have a friend who lost 135 miles in 2 weeks (all the way down to 0) in the parking garage at Miami International while on vacation. Luckily the 12V was still alive and the doors and charging port still opened. Said the entire evolution to get the car down to the closed supercharger took 6 hours. 2017 85D.

Thanks for your wisdom. Maybe I'll just turn on energy saver. If I unclick always connected, will the vehicle still be able to receive updates from the mothership? I do connect with WiFi in my garage. Stupid question time, what is Vampire drain. I'd hate to get bit in the neck when I get in my car.

Thanks for your wisdom. Maybe I'll just turn on energy saver. If I unclick always connected, will the vehicle still be able to receive updates from the mothership? I do connect with WiFi in my garage. Stupid question time, what is Vampire drain. I'd hate to get bit in the neck when I get in my car.
Yes it can still get wifi updates. It still connects, just not all the time. Another thing you will notice with always connected off is that if your car is asleep, it will take 30-60 sec or so to wake up if you try to connect it with the app before you can do anything.

Ok, I've unchecked always connected and turned on energy saver but I still am having 8-9 miles a day drain. Called Tesla service and they say everything is ok on their end. I'm flying off on vacation for two weeks and the airport doesn't have any electrical connections (even 110) in the parking garage so I'm trying to figure out what to do. Charge up to 100% and hope for the best. I should be ok I think. Asked Tesla about shutting the car down but they said if I did that it shuts the alarm off.

Suggestions??

I do have Smart conditiong and Overheat protection off. I do subscribe to TeslaFi, so that could be the problem, but I have turned off always connected.
There are specific settings in Tesla di that will allow car to sleep, make sure they are turned on. If you have Teslafi, use it to see if your car is sleeping or idling. If you don’t see sleep and only idle, then the sleep Co digs are wrong and will likely be the cause of the problem.

Just looking back at teslafi for my last few airport stays where I didn't plug in with my MS 75D:

9 days, went from 80% (197mi) to 63% (154mi): 4.8mi/day loss (70-80F temp, parked in partial shade)

9 days, went from 78% (194mi) to 66% (162mi): 3.6mi/day loss (~50F-60F temp, parked in sun)

10 days, went from 75% (187mi) to 50% (122mi): 6.5mi/day loss (30-40F, don't recall shade/sun)

7.5days, went from 77% (193mi) to 67% (165mi): 3.7mi/day loss (30-40F, don't recall shade/sun)

18 days, went from 76% (192mi) to 53% (122mi): 3.9mi/day (20-50F, parked in shade)

14 days went from 68% (172mi) to 62% (157mi): 1.1mi/day (70-90F, parked in sun)

I use teslafi, I have a dash cam that is always on, as well as a few other devices in the car drawing power. Always connected is unchecked, cabin overheat protection is on, smart preconditioning off.

• Informative
Reactions: jaguar36