Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

500,000 M3's, but Where Do They Go?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand that there are currently at or above 400k M3 reservations and that Tesla wants and needs to produce them as quickly as possible, but with Musk's plan to build 500k per year, where will the cars go? I know relatively little about S demand currently, but I assume it has varied since launch. In a perfect world, everybody who saw the car would want the car and order one, but you and I both know that there will be those that wish to hold on to their souped up gas-guzzlers until it is illegal. So my question to you is, where does Musk plan for the M3's to go?

About 100 million cars are sold per year world wide. There are many countries Tesla hasnt been introduced, but 500k cars a year is a drop in a bucket at 0.5% ish of the total market with 50 countries Tesla will sell their cars to. (50 comes from the dropdown list of Model 3 Reservation page. It may be 49.. but you get the idea)

Edit: 500k cars arent Model 3's. It will be the combination of Model S, X and 3. In addition, according to rumors, Tesla will introduce new Roadster in 2019

From a anecdotal, non scientific perspective, I've talked to so many people who are interested in the Model 3 and they haven't put down a reservation (yet). Once the car is out there and people get to see it I think demand will only go up.

Reactions: garsh
If Elon was really holding back something awesome about the Model 3 that won't be revealed until the second reveal then I can see demand going up even more.

At this point in our society I don't know if a more advanced autopilot is enough of a selling point to cause the increase in demand he's expecting. People would be too cautious to get terribly excited besides us geeky folk. I'm sure they'll have no trouble selling as many as possible for the foreseeable future.

I have dogs, and the wife and I have hinted that at some points, our romantic evenings may be for more than just recreational purposes.....

I'm worried about the dogs and/or the result of our serious evenings kicking, pulling, or otherwise snagging themselves on that screen.

Of course, once it's shipped off to military school, I'll only have to worry about the dogs.

I have dogs, and the wife and I have hinted that at some points, our romantic evenings may be for more than just recreational purposes.....

I'm worried about the dogs and/or the result of our serious evenings kicking, pulling, or otherwise snagging themselves on that screen.

Of course, once it's shipped off to military school, I'll only have to worry about the dogs.

Wat8.jpg

Uhh...

You might want to have the ergonomics of your seating posture re-evaluated.

*sigh*

Yet another item for the owners manual FAQ

2002_07_25_03.jpg

" Tesla does not recommend the Legs Akimbo driving position since this can interfere with your ability to take control of the vehicle from the Autopilot. In addition, you may accidentally kick the LCD screen with your other foot if the Autopilot brakes suddenly and manage to sound the horn using an unapproved method"

Reactions: Chopr147
*sigh*

Yet another item for the owners manual FAQ

2002_07_25_03.jpg

" Tesla does not recommend the Legs Akimbo driving position since this can interfere with your ability to take over control of the vehicle from the Autopilot. In addition, you may accidentally kick the LCD screen with your other foot if the Autopilot brakes suddenly and manage to sound the horn using an unapproved method"

Imagine the punch you'd get if the airbags deployed in that scenario......YIKES!!! :eek:

The screen on the X prototype was also sticking out above the dash. I imagine the production version will be different.
I would think they are doing something novel and don't want to give competition ideas at this point. However, at demo//launch they already stated it would be what goes into production. So how to reconcile unless that too is an option?