TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

500 days of (not) charging

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Missile Toad, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Missile Toad

Missile Toad Member

tl;dr;
    ...........in
    Today......5 years..Type
    6%.........7%.......Critical Charges, Usually a Supercharger, but can be an overnight WC
    1.0%.......7.0%.....Opportunistic, building extra cushion, meals, shopping, out on the town
    87%........80%......Routine, daily charge habit @ home, work, school, or hotel charging on an extended stay
    4%.........2%.......Trials: making sure my equipment works & the Wall Connector (or other non-Supercharger)
    8%.........8%.......No charging at all (will be higher in retirement or vacation by jet)

I have had my S 70D for about 500 days now, and I've built up some rough statistics. I'm 52 years old in semi-retirement. My wife and I have a SUV ICE that competes with the S 70D for road-trips. I've broken down my charge habit into five categories, where one is the car just sitting idle (about 1 day or more per week). I've been trying to figure out how often I rely on chargers other than Supercharging. In my 'newbee' year, I made a lot of trials of nearby chargers, mainly to confirm a) they worked; b) they worked on a taper; c) and my car equipment worked. That phase is diminishing now.

All data is a percentage of all charging events. In other words I vacation/road-trip 3% of the 500 days, but needed multiple charges each of those days to complete my trips. The destination charger network is not as robust here, in Texas, as it is in California -- but Texas grows more like California every month (Wind generation is making our grid greener). Having said that, I expect, in 5 years, there will be double the Supercharger site count (in Texas), and maybe 4-5X more destination charging options (not counting non Wall Connectors). I am a home-owner, and so, it is trivial to charge at home, unlike apartment dwellers. The Critical category is the sort of charging where you simply will not make it to your destination without an unplanned lengthy stay -- inconvenient to the driver and others if that charge should fall through.

I wonder how everyone else's situation compares? Do others think they will grab more charges outside their home/work/school environment, as I think that I will? Or do people think that there will be such a surplus of drivers that it becomes difficult to squeeze in to limited WC/Supercharger stalls, say, in 5 years?

2. scottm

scottm Version 9 software sufferer

Curious what kind of job / career you're retiring from?

I make it a game to never charge at home, if possible.

It's getting easier and easier... to find meaningful sources convenient to what I'm doing. Call this opportunistic. I plug in, if only for 10 minutes for a quick visit to a shop. Or all afternoon and use that spot as my home base for walking around in an area.

I am still almost never seeing competing forces at places where I charge... 2nd stall remains empty... so I don't feel bad about this.

Often parking with 70%+ in the garage overnight. I probably bring enough power home to power the house on most days if the car could reverse feed the house.

..obviously the need to charge arises from your needed or desired use of the car. If you see a rise in this category, you need to get out more!

Cheers