TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

500$ fee to upgrade specs when not in build?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Screwbal, Oct 25, 2015.

  1. Screwbal

    Screwbal Member

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2015
    Messages:
    106
    Location:
    Washington, USA
    I know of course the folks @ Tesla will have the final say but I'm curious what folks here think or have experienced. My car is 'confirmed' and in queue but is not in production and isn't supposed to start build for four more weeks. I've started to wonder about the UHF sound system and adding it. I know for 2500$ it may not be super worth it and for that reason if it was 3000 (with the 500 fee on top) then its not for sure. But since I'm looking to make my car more expensive which gives them more profit anyways what are folks thoughts on if I'll be stuck with the 500$ fee if I made the change?

    I could get it with the car in active production or even just days away as they line up parts and queue up but they are a month away which makes me feel like it really isn't a burden on them.

    What are folks success of post confirmation changes without a fee? Has anyone been able to do that before?
     
  2. Micro1394

    Micro1394 Member

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2015
    Messages:
    11
    Location:
    Bellingham, WA
    MS is still in queue and when I called to ask about dodging the fee for enabling A,P I was told "not a chance" by both my sales guy, general Tesla sales support, and sales support guys manager. When one considers that all MS have AP hardware and its a matter of flashing the firmware to enable it, I felt it was kind of bunk, but it is what it is.

    As you are looking at a hardware change, I wouldn't hold your breath. Still, give it a try! Should you pull it off on a hardware change, it would give me ammo to get it done on a software change.
     
  3. Bobbyducati

    Bobbyducati Member

    Joined:
    May 1, 2014
    Messages:
    347
    Location:
    VA
    theres a 500$ fee now? yikes.
     
  4. cinergi

    cinergi Active Member

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2010
    Messages:
    2,169
    Location:
    MA
    A $500 change fee is incurred if you make a change to the configuration once your configuration locks in (1 week after you place the order).
     
  5. Uncle Paul

    Uncle Paul Member

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2013
    Messages:
    350
    Location:
    San Diego
    I can kind of understand this fee. Due to the long wait from ordering to production, customers often second guess their order, and might drive everybody crazy changing things all the time as their order gets closer to production.

    From what I understand, that soon after the order is placed and finalized, Tesla sources all the parts so everything comes together on the assembly line. If people keep calling in to make little changes (or major ones) it might cause a change in production.

    Often manufacturers need to use up residual parts after changes are made in specifications. It might become difficult to track all these individual changes, along with pricing, financing etc.

    I believe that this could be one of the reasons that Tesla gives everybody a week or so to change their specifications and make the order firm. Up to this time changes are no charge. Afterwords some work needs to be done to sort out the changes, so a fee is charged.
     
  6. Firewired

    Firewired Member

    Joined:
    May 23, 2013
    Messages:
    367
    Location:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Will they refund your deposit if you cancel your order prior to production?
     
  7. bonnie

    bonnie Oil is for sissies.

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2011
    Messages:
    14,241
    Location:
    Columbia River Gorge
    Per signed agreement, deposits for cancelled orders are non-refundable.
     
  8. tanker5

    tanker5 Member

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2015
    Messages:
    66
    Location:
    CT
    I'm in the same boat as you -- just with the Pano roof. Order confirmed 10/15, in production queue. I didn't order the pano roof but am now having second thoughts. An extra $500 would drive the price up to $2000. I think I'm going to stick with my decision and keep the configuration I have.
     
  9. Screwbal

    Screwbal Member

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2015
    Messages:
    106
    Location:
    Washington, USA
    Well it was a no go on getting it added without the fee. I do understand the terms that lock in after confirmation but I also think it's stupid with the car far enough out that something can't be done. Oh well at least for me the stereo components can be upgraded (well some of them anyways) so it's not the end of the world and I guess someone else gets my money now instead of Tesla. Their loss :)
     

Share This Page