Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

500 mile Model S soon? Semi with 1 MW battery for $180K What. The. Hell????

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon has always said the the biggest expense in the S and X is the amount of human touch time in the assembly process. Well this and subsidization of development of the Model 3, and apparently the roadster and semi. Next is guaranteed to be on the true next generation platform with no 12v and Ethernet replacing CAN. This along with increased automation and scale of production at gigafactory will bring the cost of the next S and X down. Even EM has said Tesla would pass along savings gained through automation along to the customer on S and X. Sadly I don't think it's in the cards until ~2020-2021 given the recent announcements of the roadster and semi.

Reactions: David99
It really makes zero sense to me that a suiercar from them albeit a 2+2 will be priced at ~200k and give you 620 miles of range and the model s will be 160k loaded with 335 miles of range. I 100% agree with the post above, MAJOR battery increase has to be in the pipeline, model 3 range is exactly the same and it’s half the price.

I own a model x and it’s an awesome suv but on a family road trip we get maybe 180-200 miles on a charge. The thought of that big suv going 400 “actual” miles is so awesome. I for one would definitely upgrade to a long range battery... I’m sure there’s a ton of people in my shoes, it aucks keeping an ice car around for road trips.

It really makes zero sense to me that a suiercar from them albeit a 2+2 will be priced at ~200k and give you 620 miles of range and the model s will be 160k loaded with 335 miles of range. I 100% agree with the post above, MAJOR battery increase has to be in the pipeline, model 3 range is exactly the same and it’s half the price.

I own a model x and it’s an awesome suv but on a family road trip we get maybe 180-200 miles on a charge. The thought of that big suv going 400 “actual” miles is so awesome. I for one would definitely upgrade to a long range battery... I’m sure there’s a ton of people in my shoes, it aucks keeping an ice car around for road trips.

You don't need an ICE car for long road trips. My family does lots and supercharging makes it convenient. Would a larger battery make it better? Sure, but we'd probably still stop almost as often (just because who can drive for over 5 hours without stopping?).

Having a bigger battery is nicer for supercharging (adds more miles of range per minute). We've put 20k miles on our S in 11 months. Its a pleasure driving my S and taking road trips is easy with the storage and AP.

Finally, it'll be a no brainer once Tesla starts releasing EAP/FSD features.

Reactions: tomas and calisnow
I don't mind supercharger stops when I'm solo - I just nap, read or work. But with the gf and her two very little ones I'd rather just *get there* than have to deal with their restlessness issues. On top of it my gf is, to her credit, a no-screen-time mom (almost) - so the kids are not zoned-out on ipads. Road trips are very interactive - story telling, games, etc. Great for their brain development. But drives Calisnow bonkers.

I don't mind supercharger stops when I'm solo - I just nap, read or work. But with the gf and her two very little ones I'd rather just *get there* than have to deal with their restlessness issues. On top of it my gf is, to her credit, a no-screen-time mom (almost) - so the kids are not zoned-out on ipads. Road trips are very interactive - story telling, games, etc. Great for their brain development. But drives Calisnow bonkers.

Agree with "to her credit".

While I agree, more frequent stops are healthier and better for long road trips, it is just flawed logic that a smaller battery makes sense. It does not. I take a lot of road trips with my Model S and I have to say, the limited battery capacity does get old.

The way Superchargers are generally spaced, you kind of have to hit every one. You can skip one sometimes, but to be able to do that, you have to charge pretty high battery levels where charging gets rather slow. You can do it but it will slow you down quite a bit overall on top of the fact that road trips already take longer in a Tesla. Especially when traveling with kids, sometimes you really want to keep driving when they are quiet or are asleep. Sometimes you're driving in cold weather where the energy usage is ridiculous. And of course, the longer the range the less stops you have to make which always is a good thing!

On road trips you really want to stay away from charging more than 80% because it gets really slow. Based on my experience of almost 4 years and 130k miles with my Model S, energy usage on road trips is about 15-20% higher than normal. Considering both, that brings my usable range on road trips down to 160 miles. Subtract 30 miles buffer and we are down to only 130 miles. That's the true, realistic range on a road trip between Superchargers. That's not even 2 hours of driving.

While my family gets the idea of driving electric for many good reasons, they are annoyed by the frequent stops we have to take on road trips. I think it's a reasonable argument. When we take the ICE we stop on road trips as well. But we can stop where we want. We are not limited to Superchargers that often have very little around them, not even a bathroom. And yes sometimes we go straight for 4 hours and make good time.

A larger battery would give us a lot more flexibility when, where, how often and how long to stop. We could fill up faster (larger battery can take a higher charge rate longer). We could fill up more energy at destination chargers and home, saving us some stops entirely. It would give us back the choice on how to take road trips rather than having to follow the needs of the car.

Last edited:
Indeed.

I’ve long called for a 600-mile battery, since living between 20% and 80% gets you 360 miles, less 30-40% hit for wx/speed/elevation, which nets out to 240 miles of actual attainable range under less than perfect conditions. Which is 3-4 hours of driving depending upon traffic.

Ergo, a sweetspot.

Little did I know that such a pack would cost $200K surrounded by a 2+2 configuration that would do 0-60 in 1.9s.

When we get 600-mile range in a pickup truck in Wyoming that nets to 240 miles in January uphill both ways in the snow, then we’ll have something :).

Until then... incremental progress we shall have - in a world in which people still buy Fiat 500e cars with a 60-mile practical range for $4,000 off lease. Who said life couldn’t be amusing? :)

Thread title implies a 1MW battery pack for the Semi. Did Elon let anything about the Semi's battery pack capacity slip out at the event, or did someone (credibly) work out that the Semi would need a 1MW pack to hit the announced range specs? Or is it just a general guess that it'd be a 1MW pack?

Not challenging the number, just wondering how we got to it.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Thread title implies a 1MW battery pack for the Semi. Did Elon let anything about the Semi's battery pack capacity slip out at the event, or did someone (credibly) work out that the Semi would need a 1MW pack to hit the announced range specs? Or is it just a general guess that it'd be a 1MW pack?

Not challenging the number, just wondering how we got to it.

Elves and magic?

• Funny
Reactions: FutureShock
I'm not doing the extended warranty thing until I get closer to the final deadline. Need to know what kind of mileage I have at the time and my service record.

I'm on the fence about the maintenance plan. Thinking 3 years. I have 380 miles left to decide.