Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

500 + Mile Range Debate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's the one thing that irks me. Elon is right that 99% of people will be perfect fine with 300mile car, or 300 miles CT... ...but people buy cars for the extreme they want, not by what they do 99% of time. Otherwise, the entire country would be driving in 30kwh Smart cars because that's all that's needed to take us to the office or grocery store. It's bereft of passion... and imagination. (bonus if you know where that line is from)

The CT has so much imagination and passion and greatness... to be saddled with only 300 miles and the extendo pack is just sad. That's what's most disappointing. 500 miles would have made a great truck fantastic. But it just lets the air out of a great truck... It has to be a pragmatic supply chain type issue for the company or something, not Elon saying "I know what you need and you only need this. Here you go." I could see that too, but... I dunno.

The main problem with CT is the incredibly high price for that thing. Would be a different conversation if it was actually 40k.

I've mentioned this before in regard the range issue. Based on my actual experience of traveling, each year, from AZ>Cape Cod>AZ it's not the "400 miles of range" that would be useful but rather the quick 15% SoC to 60% SoC such a battery pack would afford the driver.

Most of you guys already know that it takes as long to charge from 0% SoC to 80% SoC as it does from 80% Soc to 100% SoC. Just the nature of the beast. A real-world 400 mile capable EV would permit very rapid SC visits, resulting in decent distances put in the EV possible between such charges, during road trips done at "brisk" speed.

Just sayin'...

Rich

Why buy a car for the extreme rare case though? There are plenty of companies that rent cars, your can rent one for a weekend instead of driving in a pickup or minivan year round... Probably will cost a lot less too...
Depends how often you use that capability. "Just" renting gets to be a PITA real fast when you're making runs to the local home improvement store a couple times a month, or regularly making short road trips for camping etc. Having your own familiar vehicle, set up your way, that can do these things on your schedule gets to be very useful and convenient. Yes, you pay some price over the "just" rent approach, but peace of mind, responsiveness, etc. can be worth it.

When I was daily driving a truck for a little while, I hated it as a commuter or grocery getter, but there were also plenty of times I was glad I could load up this big thing (that wouldn't fit in a car) right now and go, without having to go get another vehicle or whatever first. Scored a couple of really good deals on appliances, building materials, and other large things and such that way.

I've since compromised by getting a utility trailer, saving insurance and maintenance in exchange for a bit more hassle to have to get it and when parking, but it sure beats having to "just" rent a truck with all the extra hassle and time that consumes. By the time the MY is run out and needs replacement, I expect that viable Maverick class EV trucks will be on the market and that will be hard to turn down.

Reactions: Cheburashka and KJD
Same. 3-4 hours MAX.
In a long trip (say 600 miles) at high speed (in Europe limit is generally 81 mph) the first leg would be 250 miles. Following legs of 100/150 miles. This results in a 3 hours + 1,5 + 1,5 + 1,5 hours driving legs.
Add to this the very expensive charging costs (here can be 90 to 100 cents per kWh in high speed chargers) then you understand why 130/150 kWh battery would be highly welcome.
Tesla is not improving batteries in this direction: 100 kWh battery is used since 2017/2018. No increase slince then?

For me, specifically, it's too long. Doesn't fit in the garage. Otherwise I would have already bought one - software warts and all.
Really? It's two inches shorter than a Model S/X. (196" for Lucid Air vs 198" for Model S/X.) The Model 3/Y are 186"/187", for comparison.

Cybertruck, on the other hand, is 224" long, which is even longer than the Hummer EV (217"). Hilariously, the Cybertruck is closer in length to the Tesla Semi (249") than it is to the Model S/X!

While we're at it, the original Tesla Roadster was 155" long, and the 202x Roadster prototype is 165".

Last edited:
Really? It's two inches shorter than a Model S/X.
Yes, really. The S is also too long... and the 202x Roadster was also looking quite interesting to me, before it was clear it wouldn't exist any time soon. (and ... given the range of the Plaid-S losing the really-long range option that was promised... it likely won't have the long-range variant if it ever does ship)

Reactions: Ben W
Yes, really. The S is also too long...
Context:
1713976661313.png