Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

500 mile road trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The biggest differences between an older Tesla like yours and a new Tesla are range, obviously, but more importantly, charging speed. Your four stops totaling three hours would have been cut down to under an hour and a half. Most charging stops for me are 15 - 20 minutes unless I have to span a particularly long gap between Superchargers. 110 miles between Superchargers seems to be ideal for a long range Model 3, at least in terms of minimizing charging time.

Yeah i dont like the model 3. S all the way

Are the 2013 cars that slow to charge ? I've read stories of some cars having charging throttled. I know my 2016 does ~118kW which is essentially what it was new , and I've seen that number recently while charging during our last trip to SoCal. I know the newer ones are a lot faster, but even <120 wasn't much of a problem.

3-4 stops for 500mi seems quite a lot; 2 stops was plenty for us in mid summer with AC on high, full load, 75-80mph in the HOV lane and hills.

Reactions: Boeingpilot
Well that would include whatever is added at destination. The OP said 3-4 stops on the way, and I interpreted that as prior to reaching destination. Sure it's 3 stops for me if I also count plugging the car into my wall charger after getting home. Here's how we've done Bay Area to San Diego:
Cupertino - Kettleman City 175mi (~1500' Pacheco pass)
Kettleman - Santa Clarita 150mi (4000' Tejon Pass)
Santa Clarita - San Diego 160mi
Total is 485mi, reaching there with about 18-20% left.

3 stops seems right, 3 - 4 hours seems a lot.

Similar drives that I’ve done would be DC to Charleston, SC. 528 miles, according to ABRP, with 9h24 driving and 60 min charging (spread over three stops). Or to my in-laws’ place in New Hampshire, 541 miles and 9h58 driving, 1h04 charging spread over 4 stops, But even my old 85D probably charges a little quicker, and has slightly more range, than OP’s car.

OP: What percentage were you charging from / to? What sort of charge rates were you getting at the beginning and end of each charge?

And … since you need at least one new tire (and perhaps more), seriously consider switching to 19’s :)

3 stops seems right, 3 - 4 hours seems a lot.

Similar drives that I’ve done would be DC to Charleston, SC. 528 miles, according to ABRP, with 9h24 driving and 60 min charging (spread over three stops). Or to my in-laws’ place in New Hampshire, 541 miles and 9h58 driving, 1h04 charging spread over 4 stops, But even my old 85D probably charges a little quicker, and has slightly more range, than OP’s car.

OP: What percentage were you charging from / to? What sort of charge rates were you getting at the beginning and end of each charge?

And … since you need at least one new tire (and perhaps more), seriously consider switching to 19’s :)
I was charging from about 20% or lower to 90%.

yeah it was 3 times doing that. I left my house for this trip from Charlotte to Philly around 2-3 and got there at 3am… granted it was down pouring most of the way there. So people had to slow down and go 50mph or lower cuz the rain was brutal. So that was what would be an 8hr trip by ICE a 11-12hr trip. Each charge was about 45-50 mins about.

That’s the excessive tire wear, possibly made worse by poor alignment with too much camber. The inner edge wear is hard to see unless you get under the car. It is made worse by low/very low suspension. Just be mindful and plan on new tires in fewer miles than you’re used to.
So i reached my hand on the other side of all the other tires to check and i didnt feel anything like what this tire looks like. Here is a picture of the tire that got flat. How do i make it so this does not happen ir atleast last longer. I just bought the car used so i missed this. I dont want to be stick in a situation like that again. I will have the service center check out the whole car when i get my loaner removed. Hopefully i dont have to pay but im highly doubtful :(

Attachments

• A3652F10-C034-475F-9B07-3FE219518A4C.jpeg
    A3652F10-C034-475F-9B07-3FE219518A4C.jpeg
    440.6 KB · Views: 108
  • 8FF1AEC5-632C-4D3B-A029-6E3FB096F3F6.jpeg
    8FF1AEC5-632C-4D3B-A029-6E3FB096F3F6.jpeg
    595.4 KB · Views: 89
I was charging from about 20% or lower to 90%.

yeah it was 3 times doing that. I left my house for this trip from Charlotte to Philly around 2-3 and got there at 3am… granted it was down pouring most of the way there. So people had to slow down and go 50mph or lower cuz the rain was brutal. So that was what would be an 8hr trip by ICE a 11-12hr trip. Each charge was about 45-50 mins about.
IMHO you're charging too long... Once you're above say 55% your charge rate starts to go down dramatically. You may be better off with more shorter stops. Running a quick ABRP route Charlotte to Philly on my car (2015 S90D), leaving with 98% initially, shows 8:52 driving with 1:13 of charging for a total of 10:05 total. Thats 4 stops, with the longest at 22 minutes. When you say 8 hours by ICE, how fast are you going?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 10.04.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 10.04.21 PM.png
    147.7 KB · Views: 85
  • plan.pdf
    25 KB · Views: 68
The biggest differences between an older Tesla like yours and a new Tesla are range, obviously, but more importantly, charging speed.
100% agree with this. Although I don’t have experience with a newer model, I do have a 2013 P85 like you with 106k miles on it. I also just went on a 1000 mile road trip (500 miles each way). I think the key (as other posts on this forum have mentioned) is to try to plan your supercharger stops for when the car is down to 10-20%. That’s the only way I’ll be close to or around 100 kWh/hr charging, although that would of course depend on the charging situation. What was your peak charging speed at Superchargers?

Since we were traveling with 2 little ones, our stops were much longer by design and I did allow the car to charge up as much as possible despite the car already saying I was ready to continue.

In general, I think car seems to allow at most 2.5 hrs per leg with 90-95% battery.

Reactions: Sanderpman12
Are the 2013 cars that slow to charge ? I've read stories of some cars having charging throttled. I know my 2016 does ~118kW which is essentially what it was new , and I've seen that number recently while charging during our last trip to SoCal. I know the newer ones are a lot faster, but even <120 wasn't much of a problem.

3-4 stops for 500mi seems quite a lot; 2 stops was plenty for us in mid summer with AC on high, full load, 75-80mph in the HOV lane and hills.
My 16 August built charges at 126 at the peak.

@Sanderpman
Also never charge that high once on the road. Try to stay at 60-70% and if you really need to 80 max.

Last edited:
IMHO you're charging too long... Once you're above say 55% your charge rate starts to go down dramatically. You may be better off with more shorter stops. Running a quick ABRP route Charlotte to Philly on my car (2015 S90D), leaving with 98% initially, shows 8:52 driving with 1:13 of charging for a total of 10:05 total. Thats 4 stops, with the longest at 22 minutes. When you say 8 hours by ICE, how fast are you going?
Im going usually 80mph consistently

100% agree with this. Although I don’t have experience with a newer model, I do have a 2013 P85 like you with 106k miles on it. I also just went on a 1000 mile road trip (500 miles each way). I think the key (as other posts on this forum have mentioned) is to try to plan your supercharger stops for when the car is down to 10-20%. That’s the only way I’ll be close to or around 100 kWh/hr charging, although that would of course depend on the charging situation. What was your peak charging speed at Superchargers?

Since we were traveling with 2 little ones, our stops were much longer by design and I did allow the car to charge up as much as possible despite the car already saying I was ready to continue.

In general, I think car seems to allow at most 2.5 hrs per leg with 90-95% battery.
I agree, i charged from 20% or less to 90% everytime and i would get a good 2hrs from it going 80mph