Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

500 mile road trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
500 epa rated is needed. 10% loss of range on average in the first year for 3s and Ys. Then factor in real world environment with the cold, inefficient tires, and speeds over 75 mph and you looking at 350 to 400 real world.

Reactions: DBV1
I actually think they should start advertising the expected range after 1 year of life not brand new. They reach that battery range for the first year, the rest of the vehicles life it’s a fair bit less.
Let’s see my range after 3 years is 20 miles less. I can still do exactly same road trips I did when it was new. Ga to NJ without any problems.

Most of us will always start out on a long trip with a 100% full battery. Keeps all your options open.

You will get constant updates on your display at suggested stops, but you can be flexible with that as well.

Often you can skip a stop or two by driving slower. Sometimes driving over 80 will negate any time saved on the road with time spent charging.

Realizing you are driving an EV will have an aware driver varying their speeds to optimize travel time.

Most of us will always start out on a long trip with a 100% full battery. Keeps all your options open.

You will get constant updates on your display at suggested stops, but you can be flexible with that as well.

Often you can skip a stop or two by driving slower. Sometimes driving over 80 will negate any time saved on the road with time spent charging.

Realizing you are driving an EV will have an aware driver varying their speeds to optimize travel time.
Sounds like a good strategy for a 500+ mile trip; however for a <500mi trip, most of charging stops are strategic based on which of the 3 nearest SuC lots have the amenities I'm looking for and which are likely to be crowded at the point of my arrival. For instance, perhaps stopping at the nearest SuC will give me a higher %SOC (and hence a slower charging session) but if I'm going to stop to have a sit-down meal or go for a 40 minute stroll then I might just do that or I'll keep driving to a further SuC to arrive with a lower %SOC (and pray for a faster charging session).

If I know that I have plenty of range to get to my destination, I might pick up the pace a bit or be little more aggressive with a higher speed when passing on the highway. On the flip-side, if I need to extend range I will keep pace with the trucks in the right lane and open the Energy display to ensure I have the range to make it.

When we first got our 11/13 built S85, I would leave the SuC once I had enough to make it to the next SuC with a 10% buffer or if the charging rate dropped below 40kW which use to be around 80%SOC. Nowadays with many more SuC stalls/destinations and slower charging sessions, I'll leave around 60%SOC because my time is better spent working towards my destination rather than charging at a lower rate.

Additionally, I use to strategically try to utilize SuC lots that were no more than 50% occupied to decrease the chance that I would have a slower charging session. Now with the 150kW V2 and 250kW V3 it's really no longer concern for me.

Exactly So wouldn’t it make sense to advertise that instead of some inflated number ?

Of course not, because the moment a car hits the road its individual conditions are different than every other.

I drove 40,000 miles the first year I had my Model S. Should I expect similar range after a year as someone who drove 5,000 miles?

For better or worse, the numbers when new provide a consistent reference point.