TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

$500 screwing on my X...

Discussion in 'Model X' started by paintpolisher, Jun 4, 2016.

1. paintpolisher

paintpolisher Banned

:)

586 miles. I'll get a new one on Tuesday installed and see if I can find anyone to patch this one for a spare.

Indicated down to 28 psi when the wife and daughter tried to do some local running around. They didn't get far before the warning came on and came back home.

Glad it didn't happen on our 3000 mile trip that starts on Friday. 13335637_1411836515508830_6458377616187961218_n.jpg

2. tliving

tliving Member

I got a screw in my tire early on on my S. It leaked slowly and I had it plugged. That was more than 40,000 miles ago and still going... Annoying but didnt cost me much to resolve.

3. Gymee

Gymee Member

Dunno if they still do this but Costco used to do free patch repairs even if you didn't buy the tires from them. As a courtesy to members. I think the rules have changed a bit now though.

4. chillaban

chillaban Member

My first thought was "wow that's uncomfortably close to the sidewall". I hope you get good news!

5. Pjjava34

Pjjava34 Member

Yikes Bryan. I'm glad it didn't happen to you next week as you said! We live in a brand new community with dozens of homes being built around us every day and my bike has already been "nailed" twice but I've staved off nails from my cars thus far.
    Sadly our X has been back at the SC since last Friday with no word yet on what the heck is wrong with the door latch.

6. Muzzman1

Muzzman1 Member

...you scared me into thinking it would be $2k to replace my Wife's MX tires. It's not that bad!!
    Screen Shot 2016-06-06 at 5.50.25 PM.png

• Informative x 2
  7. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Fix it your self, buy a tire repair kit. I do it all the time and it is easy and safe.

• Like x 1
  8. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

Costco typically has one of the best pricing for tires.

9. JimVandegriff

JimVandegriff Member

My wife came out of the hotel we were at in the Portland, Oregon area, and our X's front passenger tire was flat. As luck would have it, we were directly across a parking lot from a Discount Tire store. We approached them, and they pumped up the tire, drove the car over to the shop, and they repaired the tire for free. It was a puncture. We drove home over the last two days, and the tire was fine.

10. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

As do I.

11. spentan

spentan Active Member

wat,

just looked for the supposed OE tires for the 22s on Tire Rack.

This makes me very happy :D

[​IMG]

12. systemcrashed

systemcrashed Please Reboot

Wow! OE 22" are almost have the price of the 20" ? If I didn't have range anxiety, I would definitely change to 22".

13. paintpolisher

paintpolisher Banned

Since Tirerack charges tax here in GA, it would cost me $400 + $30 install to go that route. Tesla is actually $400 for the tire and $50 labor. One of the Tesla tech lives close to me, so he picked up the wheel/tire last night, will install new tire on the wheel at the SvC center and will return it this evening with a new tire installed. The local Discount tire won't patch this one as they claim its to close to the sidewall. The Tesla Tech is returning the old tire to me, I'll find a place to patch it and have it for a spare.

I have a tire plug kit on the way from Amazon and have a fix-a-flat kit with the compressor/tire goop to use as a last resort on our trip.

14. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Member

That doesn't include shipping, tax, or installation. If you live in a state where Tire Rack doesn't charge tax you'll save some, but $1,700-1,800 for 4 new 20" tires seems to be about what it will run. They can't be rotated either so it will be interesting to see how long the tires last.

15. AZ Desert Driver

AZ Desert Driver Genesis - The Beginning - MS60D in its nest

"Cant be rotated" - please expand. I rotate my tires every 5,000 miles. Are Tesla designs such that the SHOULD NOT be, or is there something that makes it Cant.

16. timf

timf Member

Model X uses different size tires for the front and rear wheels. You can still rotate the tires from side to side, but not front to back.

• Informative x 1
  17. paintpolisher

paintpolisher Banned

This is the base 20" wheel setup:

Fronts are 265/45/20 and the rears are 275/45/20. I believe the rear wheels are 1/2" wider to accommodate the wider tire.

• Informative x 1
  18. systemcrashed

systemcrashed Please Reboot

Tires are directional, they are made to rotate in one direction. In order to rotate this kind of tire you need to do a dismount rotation, the tire shop takes the tires off the rims and mounts to the opposite driver/passenger side rim facing the same direction. Keep in mind front/rear rotation is not possible since they are different sizes.

19. AZ Desert Driver

AZ Desert Driver Genesis - The Beginning - MS60D in its nest

"Different sizes"??? I thought you select a 19, or 20 or 21 tire, but not one of each. Are you sure the M3 is staggered like this? I'm flabbergasted at this new info.

20. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Widths.