TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

$5000 install for 100 amp service.....

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Luder94, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Luder94

Luder94 Member

I just got quoted a $5000 for getting a 100amp service to the garage. It includes:

--Replace current fuse box in basement (builder special to something nicer with more spots for more breakers)
    --conduit from 'in' line to run through the basement into the garage
    --install fusebox for dedicated power in garage
    --install about 35' of conduit snaked around the garage walls and ceiling (to get HPWC installed in opposite corner from fusebox)
    --install and mount HPWC

I got word earlier this week that my car was available for pickup on Saturday (tomorrow) rather than the original anticipated date of July 16th. So, of course, I haven't made arrangements of getting an electrician over to quote me and install the HPWC). With me being in Mexico during the majority of the week (every week for the last 4 weeks), I haven't had time to get ready and with delivery date changed, I'm in reactive mode rather than proactive.

Unfortunately, the electrician couldn't do it today and his next open dates (yes, he needs two days) are the 15th and 16th. So we'll be getting the car to sit on it for a whole week where it'll drain from the vampire drain before we can charge and use it.

In anycase, anyone have any opinions on price? I'd rather find out that this quote is too much and I should check with other electricians to pay less. Opinions please!

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Sounds like they are doing a lot of work but never hurts to get a second quote. Do you have a 110V outlet to keep it plugged in while you are away and until you get all this sorted out? If so, you'll be fine.

3. Luder94

Luder94 Member

yes I do. From reading what others have paid, I was expecting $2500 or less, but good lord...$5000!!!!

Good thing is, is the Alliant loan agent put in another $5000 to my loan to spread the cost of the install over 72 months.

4. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

The real cost you are incurring is the new 100A service. That normally runs in the multi-thousand range. I was told to expect $2-4k for a new 100A service by my power company.

But certainly get a second quot. $5000 seems like an awfully round number.

5. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

Or get yourself a quote for a 50A 14-50 outlet that you can pull 40A from. I'd be surprised if that quote gets over $2k. If you charge at night you're unlikely to ever need anything faster. I save my twin charger for when I find a fast charger in the wild.

6. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I agree.

Lunder94: Do you really need a HPWC? If you can return or sell that and the NEMA 14-50 install Transl8r suggested is a few thousand dollars cheaper you are talking about maybe a $4,000 difference.

7. Palpatine

Palpatine Banned

I spent $219 to have a 50 amp NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in my garage. I live in a 1980's house with an old panel.

Any driver would be fine with a 30 amp or 50 amp outlet at home. Nobody really needs 80 amps HPWC at home.
    How many times are you likely to arrive at home with an empty battery after 250-300 miles of driving, then immediately want to leave again? It really is not a likely scenario.

Let's be honest. Overnight a 30 amp circuit will recharge you to full unless you are pulling in dead empty.
    30 amps would probably be enough. I am 100% positive that 50 amps would be enough at home.

If your panel can handle installing a 30 amp or 50 amp outlet for now, try that for a few weeks. It will only cost you $200-$300.

If you decide in the future that you really need to have 80 amps, you can always upgrade the panel later.

8. Luder94

Luder94 Member

I don't really need the HPWC...however, I do plan to sign on to get the Model X if the Model S is everything we expect it to be. The other reason I got the HPWC is because of the 'cool' factor for the garage. I know, overkill, but didn't expect a $5k price to come with all that's needed.

I will also offer up my HPWC to any Tesla owner that needs a hand if they are out and about and need access to a quick charge out in the far NW burbs of Chicago. I'm calling around to see what other quotes I can get before the 15th, even if it's to save $1000.

9. Dwdnjck

Dwdnjck Member

How often are you going to drive 200 miles go home,recharge, and drive off again? If you are charging from a fifty amp at night you don't need to charge fast, period.

10. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

I get the cool factor of the HPWC. If getting 50 amp service saves you significant $, you can always get that now with the HPWC and reevaluate 100 amp service when the X arrives.

11. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

With 2 Teslas you are probably better off with 2 NEMA 14-50s than 1 HPWC that you have to unplug from one car to charge the other every night.

12. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

Sounds about $4000 overpriced.

13. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Count me in on a 14-50. Never missed the HPWC and never will. Mine cost me about $600 total.

$5000 is out of sight crazy.

14. SteveW25561

SteveW25561 Member

I hear your pain. I'm facing $4000 to upgrade to a 200A service. I might insider just a wall port but even then my breaker is just above the limit if I add a 50A circuit. Arrggh!

15. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Take it from existing owners..... Unless you do many miles each day and require quick recharges, a 40amp 14-50 is plenty.

Save your money for the center console insert you'll be wanting when you put your stuff in your sweet new ride.

16. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

Can the current on the HPWC be dialed down to 40A? If so, perhaps an option is to use that on your existing circuit.

17. Palpatine

Palpatine Banned

Based on that info, I would install a NEMA 14-50 (50 amps) or NEMA 14-30 (30 amps) if you panel can handle one of those without the full upgrade.
    Try it out for a few weeks to see if that works for you. You can upgrade later if you really need it.

I agree with the other comment also. If you are getting a Model X in a few years, you will want a 2nd NEMA outlet. You won't want to use the same HPWC for both cars. Save yourself the money and just use the mobile connector that comes with the car. It is perfect for home use.

18. gnelson

gnelson Member

A 100 amp service is very expensive. You may even need a new drop from the transformer to the house and possibly a new breaker box. The wire gauge required for 100 amps will be exponentially higher than for a 40 amp service. Although $5000 sounds like a round number, it probably is in the ball park.

19. GaryRudolph

GaryRudolph Member

I spent the money on a second meter to add the HPWC as SCE rates are horrible for the amount of electric we use and I had them wire it now for a 2nd HPWC (cost $4.4k in total not counting the HPWC itself). I would "probably" do it again today, but there have only been 2 times in the life of owning the car (8k miles on it since February) where I had to come home and charge the car quickly before leaving again. Except for those 2 times the 14-50 would have been fine. Perhaps, in the fall during Lakers season that might happen more often.

20. laalan

laalan Member

Cost $800 to add second 100 amp meter to get SCE EV You plus permit.

I ran the wire myself to the 14-50s.

With a Leaf and a Tesla, the payback was quick