Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5000 km road trip - Vancouver (BC) to San Diego round trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Planning to do this in a few months in the opposite direction.

I've traveled a lot around California and it wasn't that bad, just gotta use abetterrouteplanner for some planning ahead of time.

I would agree with OP on chargers in SoCal - a lot of the superchargers typically have lines as there's a lot of Teslas in the area. Otherwise, I'm so used to using the SC network that it isn't that much of a big deal.

I'm planning on using the Chademo adapter as a backup when we go to make the trip less stessful. Seems like there's way more Chademo than Superchargers in Canada.

Reactions: Boeingpilot
Planning to do this in a few months in the opposite direction.

I've traveled a lot around California and it wasn't that bad, just gotta use abetterrouteplanner for some planning ahead of time.

I would agree with OP on chargers in SoCal - a lot of the superchargers typically have lines as there's a lot of Teslas in the area. Otherwise, I'm so used to using the SC network that it isn't that much of a big deal.

I'm planning on using the Chademo adapter as a backup when we go to make the trip less stessful. Seems like there's way more Chademo than Superchargers in Canada.

My general assessment of eastern Canada last year certainly revealed that to be the truth. However, if there is a Supercharger within reach I suspect it will always be faster to go to the Supercharger even if it is indirect than slow charge on CHAdeMO. Obviously if there isn't a Supercharger and CHAdeMO is your only option then it's a great option to have! :D

We have our tesla S for over 2 years and decided to go on a road trip along the old pacific coast highway from Vancouver to San Diego. Family traveling with tesla is a disaster. It was the most stressful trip of our life, initially planned for 2 weeks but we got stuck for a month, we lost over $3000 on hotels, tow trucks, and other expenses..
the super chargers are very far apart and there's not enough of them, same with destination chargers. Most hotels that we stayed didn't have outlet to plug the car. We got stuck few times at night in the middle of nowhere with an infant because tesla took us to a super charger or destination charger that doesn't exist, and we didn't have enough electricity to continue. California and specifically Los Angeles was a nightmare for EV as more people have tesla and there's very limited number of super chargers/ destination chargers available. we had to travel long distances in traffic to get to the super charger and wait in line as it was a fight in every super charger as they're all full and people waiting half hour to 40 minutes for a super charger to finally charge their car.
The whole trip was stressful. instead of enjoying the beautiful scenery we were planning the next charger and waisted half or most of the day to find the charger and charge the car. As we had to pay for super charger, after all it came more expensive than gas with much more stress.
A 4 hr drive was 6 hrs with Tesla. Tesla map is not accurate, took us out of the highway to some routes that made the trip longer and not fuel efficient. Caused us in one occasion to get stuke in the middle of nowhere with no charge. Google map is much better.
This was a very stressful trip as we missed our hotel reservations a few times and had to find the last minute hotel and pay double where we were stuck and cost us a fortune. Never travel with Tesla again.
WOW 😲 Sorry to hear that awful experience; We have an MYP and have posted many times that we prefer driving our 7 year old Prius on long trips..
Complete Freedom and zero stress. 🤷🏻‍♂️

wow, this doesnt add up , now granted im on the east coast, and yes, if you had tried this on back roads ( and nice scenery) in 2017 ( with my MS 90D) you would have had to have the plug share ap and the internal super charger map at the ready. in the " early days" if you strayed from the major highways for long durations you really were running a risk and they might have to be level 2 chargers. I got a chademo adapter back then so I could use 3rd party level 3 fast chargers where tesla super chargers were not close. I had a friend with the 100D X had to switch cars to a rental in Iowa as heading to family could actually not be done ( even after creative planning on usage an timing). I had a couple of times in middle of Pennsylvania where I got range anxiety and had to really think about WH/mile and timing. but that was then.... This is now...... there are so many superchargers you can easily skip past them and time your stops to match when you eat lunch and dinner so it is no longer a hassle and the automated supercharger planning right in the car has been really accurate for me to the 1% mark . I would feel completely comfortable going cross country and even going back roads around cities as the super charger network has expanded so nicely. This post sounds like a post to get a rise out of people, it is soooo much easier now that we are out of the "early adopter" phase. now if you are anything but a tesla you may still need todo planning and be creative, but even that is getting better. Id like to see a US tesla CCS adapter then there isnt any level 3 charger I could not use.

Poor planning...We have done Vancouver to Phoenix/Las Vegas/Edmonton/Niagara Falls and return over the last 7 years in our 2015 Model S 85D.
No drama, no problems, no delays. We used EV trip planner, ABRP and the nav, all seemed to get us there without issues. I would not plan to use destination chargers at hotels anymore, there are just too many EVs on the road now.
I wonder how the OP manages the rest of their daily life...

To be honest, that sounds like a typical experience for a non-Tesla EV ownership. A lot of the EV charging stations are simply offline/broken. At one of the Wholefoods near me, there are 6 Chargepoint chargers but only 1 of them is functional. Plugshare maps shows all are functional. It took me 3 trips to finally get to the one that's working. And it charges sloooowww, even though it says it's level 2 (no load issues since that's the only one that works). I can imagine the frustration if one is low on juice and went to a charging station that's simply not working.

To be fair, the main theme is "planning", which frankly is kinda of a pain (2015 MS), because you can't just "fill up" at the next exit, and when you have to travel long distances, 20+ minutes off the road is @30+ miles you didn't travel. Do that several times a day and you'll never get there. I would never do it with young kids.

• Disagree
Reactions: VegarHenriksen
Status
Not open for further replies.