Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5000 Mile Road Trip Lessons Learned (Tesla Road Tripping for Dummies)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So true. The only way to kill range anxiety is for charging stations to be as ubiquitous as gas stations. Would also be great to actually run through all 250-300 miles before charging if you so desire instead of being forced to stop at 150.
This is one of (very few) nice things about driving on the east coast - chargers are often spaced close enough to allow stretching it a bit. I've made the leg from Manchester, MA to Boonton, NJ, about 270 miles, on a single charge in favorable conditions. SOC 95-->~10%.

I like being able to set a semi-distant charger as a "aspirational" destination and then remove the suggested intermediate chargers. The energy page then predicts a disturbing negative charge state upon arrival, but I'm an efficient driver so the predictor dynamically updates in my favor, going from red to yellow and sometimes the bottom of the green zone.

With chargers spaced every 25-40 miles in much of the northeast and mid-Atlantic, that game is doable.

Reactions: drdumont
Thanks for the info.
And I couldn't agree more with your statements.
Nowadays, about 2-1/2 hours between stops is my personal biological limit. Alas, gone are the days when I had a 400 mile coffee cup, a 400 mile fuel tank and a 400 mile bladder...
In terms of fuel tank range, I really miss my mpg-modified 2003 Jetta TDI - my record for one tank was 1113 miles using non-freeway routes from Jacksonville to the Houston area.

Reactions: drdumont and wws
In terms of fuel tank range, I really miss my mpg-modified 2003 Jetta TDI - my record for one tank was 1113 miles using non-freeway routes from Jacksonville to the Houston area.
I used to have a Jetta TDI with a Greasecar fuel system in it, so it had that extra vegetable oil tank in the back, and also could probably get about 1,000 miles total. The longest I ever did was about 575 though, from Boise to Great Falls, MT.