Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$5000 price drop on Model X.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It may matter to me. What do you see in your crystal ball? The $5k finally pushed me over the edge to go for the X over the Y. Plaid has been the biggest consideration, but thought that was a ways off for the X.

My crystal ball is cloudy and says "Try Again"

I don't know what the horizon holds, but as a seasoned owner I can only tell you stories of my experience walking uphill both ways in a snow storm. At this point, I've owned 1 ordered car (first) and 2 inventory cars (2nd & 3rd) At one point I touted the discounts of inventory cars; which is why I owned two of them. What I learned was....be patient.

My first inventory car was bought out of impatience. I was waiting for my S.. waiting...and waiting. At the time, the wait was over 3 months long. Two months after ordering the S, I picked up a 2016 MX..AP1. It made no difference to me because AP1 was all I knew. An AP1 was what I test drove initially anyway, plus it had nearly a $30,000 showroom discount. What a DEAL! My S ended up delayed, and came later....with AP2/EAP. Oops. Now I got to experience EAP and eventually AP1 didn't cut it....so I went looking.

I couldn't bring myself to trade in a car I just bought. What's worse is that Tesla was only offering me $40,000 on the X. So I kept it and kept driving it while looking at inventory cars. When free supercharging went away, I checked inventory every day for a car that had free supercharging and finally found one. I scored my black on black, free supercharging at another showroom discount plus it had the just released AP2, it was perfect...

I bought that second inventory car a week before the release of a whole lot of new features including HW2.5. The now standard options wiped out the entirety of the discount I received. I still have free supercharging and free premium connectivity. For about a year and a half I was pretty darn upset, but now there's a MCU2/HW3 upgrade path for me that I'm more comfortable with. It'll just cost me $2500+$4000 to do it. $6500 buys a lot of supercharging and a lot of monthly connectivity payments...

If I would have bought an inventory S, that car might've been traded too. If I would've waited for either X....
But the reality is that these cars are ALWAYs changing. Even if you time it just right and hit the right mark - like we did with our S. It eventually becomes outdated. It just fell the right way for us so that we didn't feel cheated on the S, where as we did on the X. That's a subjective thing and not an objective thing.

For you, if it closes the gap between the Y and the X, go for it. I can tell you that even between the X and the S..the S feels cheap compared to my X. My aha moment was when I was in the driver seat of the S, I turned and said "Why don't these doors close on their own?" Yes, I sounded absurd. But that's what an X does to you...

Well...I just cancelled my Y order and ordered a brand new 2020 X LR. At $79999 for a 5 seater X, I decided I like X more than the new Y. So there is another Y available for those waiting on Y - White/Black, 19", FSD, in Orange County, CA
Finally a cm i was looking for lol since everyone is just so into the Y now. To me, X is just in another level. Coming as an early adopter Model 3 Performance owner that has free supercharging for around 80k at that time. And now seeing the X at 80k too makes me happy and sad at the same time lol

Finally a cm i was looking for lol since everyone is just so into the Y now. To me, X is just in another level. Coming as an early adopter Model 3 Performance owner that has free supercharging for around 80k at that time. And now seeing the X at 80k too makes me happy and sad at the same time lol

Hold on to that. I’m convinced once day those will be worth significant sums of money as one of the first cars that changed the world.

Besides Raven and battery chem updates to the 18650 packs, are there any significant updates to the X lately? It seems outdated relative to the Y and 3.

Well, that depends on how you view it. The X seems outdated to the Y/3 until you try to turn on the heated steering wheel, try not to get blinded by the LED headlights from the semis and monster trucks behind you because there's no auto dimming side mirrors anymore, having to hunt for the garage door clicker since HomeLink isn't built-in anymore, missing that pano windshield that allows for an expansive view for the driver rather than backseat passengers trying to forget about that hard bench seat, missing the adaptive suspension that provides a smoother ride, having to use that odd door handle rather than having a door that opens as you walk up to it and then closes, no BWDM, a much less superior stereo, and on and on. But, the Y does have that heat pump and you don't need a key fob.

Battery Day is coming up.

S/X still don't have V3 supercharging.

Tesla is moving towards a million mile battery pack.

Musk has indicated S/X will be seeing battery pack improvements - and likely longer range.

The price drop could be due to a combination of elimination of FUSC, cost reductions in current battery packs, and imminent introduction of new battery packs with a higher price point.

Battery Day is coming up.

S/X still don't have V3 supercharging.

Tesla is moving towards a million mile battery pack.

Musk has indicated S/X will be seeing battery pack improvements - and likely longer range.

The price drop could be due to a combination of elimination of FUSC, cost reductions in current battery packs, and imminent introduction of new battery packs with a higher price point.

Also worth noting...

The Model S was launched June 2012. While there were new models and improvements, the first body refresh was 4 years later in 2016. With AP2 hitting full force 4.5 years later. 4 years after that would be 2020...

The Model X launched Sept 2015. Aren't we overdue for a refresh as well?

Well, that depends on how you view it. The X seems outdated to the Y/3 until you try to turn on the heated steering wheel, try not to get blinded by the LED headlights from the semis and monster trucks behind you because there's no auto dimming side mirrors anymore, having to hunt for the garage door clicker since HomeLink isn't built-in anymore, missing that pano windshield that allows for an expansive view for the driver rather than backseat passengers trying to forget about that hard bench seat, missing the adaptive suspension that provides a smoother ride, having to use that odd door handle rather than having a door that opens as you walk up to it and then closes, no BWDM, a much less superior stereo, and on and on. But, the Y does have that heat pump and you don't need a key fob.

Outdated and premium are two different things. The Model X costs more and therefore has more "premium" features.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Model X (owner for 2.5 years), but it needs an update. If you need a third row, definitely get the Model X. If not, the Model Y is a great option. Here is my rationale -

Model Y Newer Tech/Innovation - Updated battery pack (2170), more efficient 121 MPGe vs. 90 MPGe (20" Perfs), 250kw Supercharging, heat pump (this is big for northern states/colder climates), Model Y has more leg room in front and rear than MX, updated interior/landscape screen format.

Some of the items you brought up:
Homelink - non issue, just pay the money to get homelink.
2nd Row Seats - I have a Model X 6-seat and the 2nd row seats are not especially comfortable. Many people have complained they are too narrow. Less leg room than Y.
Automatic Doors - This is not a straight win for the Model X, as they are not very practical. I rarely use the presenting doors feature on the car since the doors open when I don't want them to. I also don't always use the automatic close door feature as the door tends to slam hard. That leaves the FWDs. They are great for getting in the third row and putting kids in the 2nd row. However, they are extremely showy (to the point where it is embarrassing). If you park this car in a public place and open the FWD doors, I find that someone comes up or makes a comment at least 50% of the time.
Bioweapon DM - I have used the feature a handful of times in the last 2.5 years. Usually to get rid of a bad smell. Gimmick.
Stereo - Where is this coming from? I have spent significant time in a Model 3 Perf and the stereo sounds better than my premium stereo in my Model X. Many say the Model 3 stereo is better than S and X. My guess is that the M3 stereo is a transplant into the Y.

Model Y Newer Tech/Innovation - Updated battery pack (2170),

For what seems like the millionth time in these forums, the size of a battery does not have anything to do with the technology in the battery. That's the chemistry. Whether a battery is 21 mm across or 18 millimeters across makes no difference. Yes, with the larger size you can squeeze a little more energy into the same space. This is quite an issue for the model 3 and y. Not really so much on the S and X. The s batteries the x batteries have the same technology as the y and 3 batteries. Simply in a different format. The one thing the packs do not have is as efficient of cooling system. That should come in the next great upgrade. Hopefully we'll hear about that on battery day.[/QUOTE]

For what seems like the millionth time in these forums, the size of a battery does not have anything to do with the technology in the battery. That's the chemistry. Whether a battery is 21 mm across or 18 millimeters across makes no difference. Yes, with the larger size you can squeeze a little more energy into the same space. This is quite an issue for the model 3 and y. Not really so much on the S and X. The s batteries the x batteries have the same technology as the y and 3 batteries. Simply in a different format.
The one thing the packs do not have is as efficient of cooling system. That should come in the next great upgrade.
Hopefully we'll hear about that on battery day.
[/QUOTE]

What your bid? Model S LR++ with 2170 battery pack, 120 kWh and 480 miles range.

Reactions: KBaoBao

For what seems like the millionth time in these forums, the size of a battery does not have anything to do with the technology in the battery. That's the chemistry. Whether a battery is 21 mm across or 18 millimeters across makes no difference. Yes, with the larger size you can squeeze a little more energy into the same space. This is quite an issue for the model 3 and y. Not really so much on the S and X. The s batteries the x batteries have the same technology as the y and 3 batteries. Simply in a different format. The one thing the packs do not have is as efficient of cooling system. That should come in the next great upgrade. Hopefully we'll hear about that on battery day.

I didn't say anything about the size of the battery. I was referring to the updated pack design of the 2170.