Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$5000 rebate for NJ Electric Vehicle signed into law

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks - I saw this yesterday and shared some info on Facebook. Key benefit in my reading of the FAQ's is that the destination charge is not part of the equation. If that translates to Tesla's discounting orders directly in July, that will be helpful for those looking to add an option or two to their Model Y's.

Now that the Performance is under 55K I switched my order to it. On Tesla’s site and a Sales Associate I spoke to yesterday said it will qualify as long as I stay with the white exterior and black interior. Which I’m fine with. I called the Springfield location today after seeing the application was live hoping they had more information. A gentleman answered the phone, and said it’s only the application that’s live. He then proceeded to tell me that the “Performance model” would NOT qualify even if it’s under 55K because it’s considered a “Performance” Vehicle. I read the qualifications online and it states

“ A new light-duty plug-in electric vehicle;
• With a final MSRP* below $55,000;
• Purchased or leased in the State of New Jersey on or after January 17, 2020; and
• Registered in New Jersey.”

To me all cars are considered “light-duty” unless it’s a truck, which even if it’s a 1,500 series truck it’s still considered “light duty”. Wondering if anyone has anymore insights. I’ve read on this forum that Sales Associates often gives a lot of false information. Looking for thoughts on this.

I wish I could save all of you from reading the above post, but I found what they (NJ) considered “light duty”. The Performance Model 3 does seem like it qualifies for the rebate. I believe that the one Advisor was giving me false information by saying it wouldn’t qualify because it’s a “Performance car”. Below is an excerpt and the link from the application site defining the law.

“Light duty vehicle” means any two-axle, four-wheel vehicle, designed primarily for passenger travel or light duty commercial use, and approved for travel on public roads. “Light duty vehicle” includes, but is not limited to, any vehicle commonly referred to as a car, minivan, sport utility vehicle, cross-over, or pick-up truck.

https://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2018/Bills/PL19/362_.PDF

Does anyone have any ideas in regards to the following:

The site asks for:
Please upload a complete, clear copy of your fully executed and signed vehicle purchase or lease agreement, including all pages, financial sections and all final signatures.

However, i paid cash for the car and the only agreement i have is the "Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement" Final Price sheet which contains no signatures.

In addition i bought mine in Early March and still only have my temporary registration cards, think that will suffice?

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

32D449E8-6EF7-4F23-99DA-70568D3EFEE5.jpeg Hi
My car price is exactly 55,000$ without taxes
I live in NJ
Am I eligible for 5000$ NJ incentive or car price has to be less than 55,000$ like 54,999$
Please find the picture attached and let me know
Pondering to switch AWD without FSD!!

I would check Home | Charge Up New Jersey
As of now they don’t show that the Model Y is part of the rebate program.
It says

Pursuant to P.L.2019, c.362, https://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2018/Bills/PL19/362_.PDF an eligible vehicle for the Charge Up New Jersey program is defined as:
• A new light-duty plug-in electric vehicle;
• With a final MSRP* below $55,000;
• Purchased or leased in the State of New Jersey on or after January 17, 2020; and
• Registered in New Jersey.
* The MSRP cap of $55,000 refers to the final MSRP of the vehicle, which is set by the manufacturer, and is intended to encompass the value of the vehicle itself, in full. The manufacturer’s MSRP typically includes the costs associated with the trim level of the vehicle with all color options, wheel upgrades, drive train or battery upgrades, and other packages, such as entertainment system upgrades. Costs not generally included in the MSRP are: destination or delivery charges, sales and use taxes, additional maintenance or repair packages purchased from the dealership or showroom, documentation fees, registration fees, or add-ons which relate to the maintenance or operation of the vehicle, such as electric vehiclechargingpackages,floormats,firstaidkits,cargonets,etc. TheBoardreservestherighttoseek all available legal remedies if manufacturers adopt separate MSRPs for New Jersey that differ from the MSRP associated with the same car in other states or otherwise attempt to circumvent the statutory language.

Does anyone have any ideas in regards to the following:

The site asks for:

However, i paid cash for the car and the only agreement i have is the "Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement" Final Price sheet which contains no signatures.

In addition i bought mine in Early March and still only have my temporary registration cards, think that will suffice?

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
I just took the MVPA from my tesla account on the website and uploaded it to the application.
Also took a picture of the temp registration to upload and a pic of my driver's license.
I also took delivery of my car in early March.
I guess I'll see what happens if that's satisfactory for the rebate app

hi everyone, i have question regarding the final MSRP* meaning in the site.
I placed an deposit on a model 3 which has inventory discount, so my my final MSRP* is cheaper than the official MSRP.

will I get the 5K rebate if I apply it?

for reference , i am buying a model 3 performance with gray color. the official MSRP is 56K but i got 2K discount, so it is 54K before document fee.

thanks,

I got a response from the rebate program.

They mentioned that the temporary registration expired and they need the permanent one.

So FYI everyone most likely until you get the full registration you might want to wait for applying unless your temporary one hadn't expired.