Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

500e, Spark EV, Leaf. Which one for Delivery Car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry. Forgot about the Bolt oddly. It's the longest range of that whole fleet of first generation EVs, of which I didn't consumer the Bolt a member.
Well, GM had the lease only EV1 that became available in (apparently) late 1996. Darell's Electric Vehicle Page has a link to his video at
of his 97 EV1. Amazing that it had 6.6 kW charging and that EVs that came much later (e.g. 2010) share some similarities.

GM also had the CA (and later OR) only Spark EV, which was discontinued in favor of the Bolt. I wouldn't really call the Bolt a 1st generation EV.

Besides the above, there were # of CA only EVs around that time like the Toyota RAV4 EV - Wikipedia, Honda EV Plus - Wikipedia and NISSAN | ZERO EMISSION | History | Altra EV (called the R’nessa EV in Japan). I've never personally seen the latter two.

Well, GM had the lease only EV1 that became available in (apparently) late 1996. Darell's Electric Vehicle Page has a link to his video at
of his 97 EV1. Amazing that it had 6.6 kW charging and that EVs that came much later (e.g. 2010) share some similarities.

GM also had the CA (and later OR) only Spark EV, which was discontinued in favor of the Bolt. I wouldn't really call the Bolt a 1st generation EV.

Besides the above, there were # of CA only EVs around that time like the Toyota RAV4 EV - Wikipedia, Honda EV Plus - Wikipedia and NISSAN | ZERO EMISSION | History | Altra EV (called the R’nessa EV in Japan). I've never personally seen the latter two.
Yeah I'm familiar with the history of EVs. My point was that people were talking about the recent wave is EVs coming off lease that are all 100 miles range or so. That whole group feels more like EV 1.0 while the EV1 might be considered more of a beta. Haha.

Just sold my 2014 Spark EV last month after 2 years with it. I was regularly getting around 100 miles per charge. Charge rate on L2 topped out at 3.3kW. Mine had the optional CCS quick charge port that I used a couple of times when going outside of my regular commute. Could see a 6' object fitting, resting on the dashboard and going between the front seats. There was a guy on the Facebook Volt group who had a fleet of Spark EVs for his car parts business... that's right, a fleet of EVs for delivering ICE parts :D. Loved it.

Off topic question but I was just looking at the Fiat 500e. How come they are not killing the battery by always charging to 100%. Seems like there is no way to limit charge percentage like in a tesla ?!
There is a buffer at the top of the battery, so they're not "killing" it.

The Leaf and the RAV4 EV were punished in their EPA range ratings by having an 80% charge setting. The EPA averaged the results from the two settings to give a total rating. Nissan removed the setting in later model years. Besides, these cars have such low range that most people don't want to give up that energy.

• Informative
Reactions: GJ79
There is a buffer at the top of the battery, so they're not "killing" it.

The Leaf and the RAV4 EV were punished in their EPA range ratings by having an 80% charge setting. The EPA averaged the results from the two settings to give a total rating. Nissan removed the setting in later model years. Besides, these cars have such low range that most people don't want to give up that energy.

It is surprising to me also, but our Fiat is always charged to 100% and doesn't show degradation yet after 3 yrs and 12k miles