TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

50A Charging current with UMC?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by emq, Jul 25, 2011.

1. emq

emq Member

I heard sombody managed to charge 50A by the UMC, not 50A fuse, 50A Charging current. I am intressed on Details, like modifications, with the original 40A cable? and so on.

2. scott451

scott451 KWH-PWR#1349Sprt,S Sig#96

I've charged at 50A using a modified MC240. And an RFMC can be easily reprogrammed to charge at 50A (actually the first RFMC did charge at 50A) I have not looked at the UMC, but it probably could be modified for higher current. If the cable is the same as the MC240, then it is rated to atleast 55A @90C

3. DrComputer

DrComputer Member

Scott, so how does one "easily" reprogram the RFMC to charge at 50A?

4. scott451

scott451 KWH-PWR#1349Sprt,S Sig#96

The blog in this TMC post: The Roadster Foundry Mobile Charger « Tesla Founders Blog.pdf‎ has the source code to the RFMC charger. If you have done PIC programming before and have the $40 Microchip IDE programming cable it's pretty easy to modify and compile Martin's code and then program the RFMC. Just be sure to save (upload) the original code in the PIC before you reprogram it.