TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

$50k Deposit

Discussion in 'Roadster 2020+' started by ShadowR55, Aug 12, 2019.

1. ShadowR55

ShadowR55 Member

Do you think they will ever lower the deposit amount to something reasonable like $5 or $10k? I would love to order one but unless they are going to pay me 7% interest while using my money then I will not be putting a deposit down on one. Heck they can even make it a $5k non-refundable deposit.

• Like x 1
  2. Grenadine

Grenadine Member

That makes no sense unless you assume the car is more than 18 months away. At 18 months, you break even between the two scenarios you described.

3. ShadowR55

ShadowR55 Member

Have you seen Tesla’s track record on timelines? I don’t think we will see it for another 2 years, possibly a 2021-22model.

• Like x 1
  4. TampaRich

TampaRich Member

$50k plus interest = cost of being one of the first.

• Funny x 1
  5. MargaretMathes

MargaretMathes New Member

this 50k deposit direct deduct on your last term of payment? or refunded after full payment.

6. HumanGenome

HumanGenome Member

Yes they will eventually mass produce these so I am sure they will lower the deposit to $5 or $10k.

They want to sell more and the way to do that is via financing with low enough down payments.

Tesla is not in a position to make a limited edition vehicle. They need money.

7. tstafford

tstafford Supporting Member

I agree. I don't expect to see any cars in 2020.

But to the OP's question - I think it would have to be viewed as a pretty bad sign if Tesla dropped the deposit before delivering any cars. Would be seen as a cash grab. Not that they're above that. . .