TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

50k miles yr

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by jjomaski, Aug 20, 2018.

1. jjomaski

jjomaski New Member

Hi
    I am close to ordering my model 3 . I drive 50,000 miles yr. the last thing I want is a 5-6 yr loan on a car that is dying . What is the general opinion on how many miles this car can go before the repairs are not worth doing . Thank you in advance.

2. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

Perfect use for a Tesla

• Like x 12
  3. Phrixotrichus

Phrixotrichus Member

Examples of great battery-lifetimes from the Model S/X plus the powertrain guarantee basically "only" leaves the question open how well the actual car will perform outside of the warranty period, and that`s something no one can tell you yet.

From my personal Model S/X experiences I´d not keep those beyond the warranty period, ever, but the Model 3 is a very different car, soooo.....

• Like x 1
  4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

No idea. We don't have enough information yet.

Seems like _we'll_ be asking _you_ in a few years. :D

Enjoy your Model 3. (I hope).

5. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

The Model S history has a fair number of cars that have gone in excess of 300,000 miles without major repairs. IIRC most fo them have had battery replacements covered by waranty, but few have had them since the post. 90 kWh packs, which were an anomaly initially. Examples:
    Large Tesla taxi fleet at Amsterdam’s airport gets updated with Model X electric SUVs
    Home
    Christian Roy ⚡️⚡️ (@TeslaTaxi) | Twitter

Frankly, it seems running a Model 3 50,000 miles/yr is likely to be a perfect use case. It's a good idea to order a performance version when you drive that much because free Supercharging will certainly be worthwhile. Take the 18" wheels though, for longevity and cheaper tires.

FWIW, I drove a Model S that had 102,000 miles when I drove it. It was almost indistinguishable from a brand new one. 'almost' because it was AP-1 and a straight 85, so obviously it was several years old. An associate rode with me in that car while I had it and asked me if i had acquired a new car. A Model 3 will probably do much better because of the improved systems and quality control taht come with higher volume and newer design.

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  6. LargeHamCollider

LargeHamCollider Battery cells != scalable

I would not worry about the battery or drivetrain, other portions of the car I do not know but like was said above, this is the perfect use for a Model 3, gas savings alone will make it worth it. There's a taxi driver in the Netherlands with 400,000km on his car, he still has 93% of his original range.

• Informative x 1
  7. adaptabl

adaptabl Member

Your full warranty will be gone after year 1 then your battery warranty will be done after 2-2.5 years. You will be a good test case for how long an EV last. With that many miles per year maybe a low cost economy ICE car would be better financially.

• Disagree x 8
  8. SageBrush

I presume this is mostly a money play for OP, who is happy to get into a really good car.

Car cost: $51k
    Fed tax credit ($7.5k)
    NY tax credit ($2.5k)
    Fuel savings: I estimate no less than 7 cents a mile. Since the Model 3 LR is warrantied out to 120k miles that is a reasonable worse case of ($8.4k)

Maximum cost: $32.6K
    Actual ? See how far the car takes you past 120k miles. The Tesla experience thus far has been much higher.

The one caveat to be aware of though is the winter hit in driving range. Figure up to 30%

• Helpful x 1
  9. outdoors

outdoors Supporting Member

@jjomaski

Less than 1% degradation on the S @40k in one year. Which I think is superb, and with many supercharging visits. I would be at 55k now if we didn't buy a 3. Just a great experience.

I would be of the opinion that I would own both cars for a significant period of time. Eight years or more. Boom 400k. That would be a great thread for you. My journey to 400k.

Keep good tires on. Helps them stay out of the body shop.

• Helpful x 1
  10. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

With your rate driving miles, you might consider a Model S because of the unlimited mile warranty. Might be worth it in the long run, if not for piece of mind.

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  11. SigNC

SigNC Member

if you drive 50k a year you might want to pony up for the performance and get free power. You might be one of the few that breaks even on that deal :)

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  12. Thunder7ga

Thunder7ga Member

Been wondering too what kind of expectations to have. I don’t do 50k, but will be in the 35-40k range. Had it a month and have 3,500 on it now. So far so good. Love it and hope to keep it for 8 years. Wife will get her Tesla in 3-4. So we want to keep them staggered.

• Like x 2
  13. khraiv

khraiv Member

More of a Tesla question than a Model 3 Q, since obviously there isn't enough history to go on.

That's too bad you didn't order before August 1st, you could have had an excuse to pony up the 15K for Performance which would have given you free unlimited supercharging for life... Could have saved up you to $10K over 5 years of ownership and almost pay back the performance. In theory anyway.

• Helpful x 1
  14. SageBrush

#14 SageBrush, Aug 20, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    I presume OP will charge most of his miles at home regardless, just to save time and for the convenience but certainly the free Supercharging has value. That, in addition to the unlimited miles warranty for 8 years of the Model 'S' is something to consider. And of course the 100D is probably the ultimate cruiser car, not insignificant for someone who spends so many hours a week in the car.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  15. adaptabl

adaptabl Member

Most people don't SC that much. Everyday charging is not what super chargers are for.

16. Runt8

Runt8 Active Member

He can still get unlimited supercharging by using a referral code.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  17. gambit48

gambit48 Member

I'd worry. Everyone looking at the high mileage Model S cars are forgetting that they have an unlimited powertrain warranty. And Tesloop cars seem to get preferential treatment from Tesla due to their Q score (how famous they are). If you add in the cost of drive motors and battery swaps that Tesla covered, the repair bills would be astronomical.

The Model 3 is completely different due to the difference in warranty. We hope the updated battery pack and motors are longer lasting, but we just don't know. But history of the Model S is actually not good if you take into account the warranty difference.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  18. SigNC

SigNC Member

I think i saw a battery pack analysis of ones that had to be replaced that were high mileage and just about all of them were pre 2013 and I think all failed within the first 100k.

• Informative x 1
  19. SageBrush

A bit of soft arithmetic:

400k miles warranted
    $80k cost
    Figure 2.5 cents a mile fuel
    ---
    22.5 cents a mile for one of the best, if not THE best, cars on the road.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  20. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

Average gas prices in Buffalo NY are about $3/gallon right now. At 30 MPG that's $417/month on gasoline. I would be curious what you you will pay for electricity where you live at night.... But the average residential electricity rate in Buffalo is 11.74¢/kWh. So at 300 watts per mile (from the wall) that's $146.75/month on electricity. That's $270/month net savings over a 30MPG ICE. $3,243/yr and $16,215/5 yrs....Maybe you can use those savings to justify any out of warranty repairs that pop up.. .

• Like x 1