Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

52 Kw left on my 2017 75D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went on a long distance trip started with 98% charge and ended with literally 2 miles left on the battery. When I went into the 'trips' tab it showed I had consumed 52 kW of energy. I have a 2017 75D with 104,000 miles and 209 miles on 100% charge. Based on the 209 mile figure that would be a 87% degradation (compared to 239 mile brand new). However based on the kW figure that'd be a 70% degradation... Which is a big difference. Thoughts? Think this is heavy degradation? Think I should contact service center for a new battery?

I think your calculations are off and you haven’t put In any other relevant driving conditions..ie what was your speed ? Were u using heater .. driving uphill ?? ..all of this especially speed will factor into ur consumption .. I really doubt ur battery has degraded 87%;)

I went on a long distance trip started with 98% charge and ended with literally 2 miles left on the battery. When I went into the 'trips' tab it showed I had consumed 52 kW of energy. I have a 2017 75D with 104,000 miles and 209 miles on 100% charge. Based on the 209 mile figure that would be a 87% degradation (compared to 239 mile brand new). However based on the kW figure that'd be a 70% degradation... Which is a big difference. Thoughts? Think this is heavy degradation? Think I should contact service center for a new battery?

209 is only down 13% (assuming 239 is accurate, I didn’t look it up). I doubt that gets you a new battery w 104,000 on the clock.

My friend landed with similar estimate about hes 90D. He recorded the kWh readings as he drove the car empty, and it looks like not all reported miles are equal. So, each 1% of charge gets smaller in terms of actual energy as the car moves (!). This is really clever way to hide the degradation. The car will still show impressive mile numbers when charged full, and if you never really run it empty you will never know the real state.

range estimate and navigation does not take elevation changes into account which will SUCK battery like crazy

I am pretty sure the in-car navigation takes into account going up and down hills/mountains when doing calculations. We have found the estimates to be quite accurate. Outside utilities do not seem to be as accurate

Tesla only records kWh while in Drive. If you sit with the car on you will use your energy but not see it in the total. Assuming you didn’t stop and idle AND that your battery is properly calibrated (common during Covid if not charging to 90% and driving down below 30% regularly) then your battery appears to have 53.6 kWh driving capacity.

Secondly, driving battery capacity is always less than listed or charging capacity due to drivetrain and battery losses. For example, my Model 3 LR with 75 kWh listed battery capacity had 68 kWh driving capacity. I don’t know the new capacity of your battery, but assuming 68 kWh like my model 3 And that you did a true long drive test without stopping and that your battery is calibrated...then your degradation may be 22% = 1-53.6/68

you can ask Tesla to run diagnostics but they won’t even blink until you have more than 30% degradation, at least for the Model 3. You have over 100k miles on your battery. I assume you charge to 100% sometimes with the X 75D struggling for range a bit. Maybe upgrade to 100D if range is an issue?

Last edited:
I think your calculations are off and you haven’t put In any other relevant driving conditions..ie what was your speed ? Were u using heater .. driving uphill ?? ..all of this especially speed will factor into ur consumption .. I really doubt ur battery has degraded 87%;)

Those variables will affect the total miles you are able to drive on one particular charge and will effect the Wh/mi - which you can take to be congruent with mpg on a gas car. If I bought a brand new 75D and ran it down from 100% charge to 0.5% charge during one nonstop trip should be probably 74 kW. I did this exact same thing to my car and it showed 52 kW ... Is what I'm saying.

Tesla only records kWh while in Drive. If you sit with the car on you will use your energy but not see it in the total. Assuming you didn’t stop and idle AND that your battery is properly calibrated (common during Covid if not charging to 90% and driving down below 30% regularly) then your battery appears to have 53.6 kWh driving capacity.

Secondly, driving battery capacity is always less than listed or charging capacity due to drivetrain and battery losses. For example, my Model 3 LR with 75 kWh listed battery capacity had 68 kWh driving capacity. I don’t know the new capacity of your battery, but assuming 68 kWh like my model 3 And that you did a true long drive test without stopping and that your battery is calibrated...then your degradation may be 22% = 1-53.6/68

you can ask Tesla to run diagnostics but they won’t even blink until you have more than 30% degradation, at least for the Model 3. You have over 100k miles on your battery. I assume you charge to 100% sometimes with the X 75D struggling for range a bit. Maybe upgrade to 100D if range is an issue?

I'd love to get a new X100, but the difference between what my current car is worth and a new X100 is prob $40,000. I wish I could just upgrade the battery pack but to my research this doeant occur.

If I bought a brand new 75D and ran it down from 100% charge to 0.5% charge during one nonstop trip should be probably 74 kW. I
Not really there are some specs on Batt here somewhere but u won’t get the full 74

go to ur energy tab and calculate use ur wh/m (x)est range/ divide that by ur SOC in decimal and than divide that again by 1000 that will show your actual kw available

Not really there are some specs on Batt here somewhere but u won’t get the full 74

go to ur energy tab and calculate use ur wh/m (x)est range/ divide that by ur SOC in decimal and than divide that again by 1000 that will show your actual kw available

I did that with brand new 75D in Feb 2018. Result was 68kWh according to the 'energy consumed' display. At that time the consumption tab was showing 73kWh as full capacity.

Reactions: gangzoom and P85_DA
I did that with brand new 75D in Feb 2018. Result was 68kWh according to the 'energy consumed' display. At that time the consumption tab was showing 73kWh as full capacity.

Similar to our 75D, at 36K miles 'energy consumed' figures suggest around 63kWh usable versus 68kWh when new.

50375927792_79c62deb8e_b.jpg

26610887499_5b12bcef32_b.jpg

Hmm, I've been wondering about the same thing with my 2016 P90. I can't see how the battery pack is greater than 70 kWh. I noticed on a recent trip, I drove 140 miles (started at 90%) and got down to 15%...Trip meter showed something like 55-60 kWh used. I'll have to monitor (and post results) for sure on the next trip, but the range definitely seems a bit off.