Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

52C cabin temp!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m enjoying being able to cool the car before heading out - was 48c this afternoon so popped the AC on for 5-10 mins.

Also like being able to leave the AC on when I leave the car - going for a walk I don’t want the car to heat back up again. And it turns the setting off when you next get in the car so no worries forgetting to disable it.

I guess having remote access to the cabin temperature adds unnecessary worry. But I wouldn’t worry. Cars have been baking in the sun long before Tesla’s were around.
I have Cabin Overheat with A/C on, but this is pretty much correct. Ignorance is bliss. This is one of those things you never thought about before getting a Tesla, but now do (if you're like me).

Any recommendations for sun shades for the roof? The Tesla ones are sold out, the reviews for the ones on Amazon and the usual Chinese web sites are mixed.
Would be good to have ones I can install for summer (those magic weeks/days) and remove when no longer required.

Apparently if you have one of those new fangled 'heat pump' models, the car uses the excess heat to heat up the battery when you switch on the AC - seems to mean the actual A/C does not draw that much power (Yes I have just watched the latest Bjorn youtube video where he tests the same).

In my experience the car loses maybe 1-2% with Cabin Overheat Protection on, with A/C? It obviously depends on where you park, in my case the house keeps the car in the shade for most of the day, so it really only starts to kick in with direct sunlight in the mid to late afternoon.

As said above, on balance I'd rather lose 1-2% of charge a day and have no risk at all of premature wear on stuff inside. I don't trust Tesla enough given the QC etc issues not to think that there might be issues down the line if I didn't.

Any recommendations for sun shades for the roof? The Tesla ones are sold out, the reviews for the ones on Amazon and the usual Chinese web sites are mixed.
Would be good to have ones I can install for summer (those magic weeks/days) and remove when no longer required.

The roof glass does a remarkable job - the heat that it allows to pass onto other objects, seats etc is nigh on indistinguishable from solid parts of the car. The windscreen and side windows is a different story. Much the same as with a solid roofed car.

The sun shade does prevent your head getting too close to the glass though - the heat that they soak up makes them get pretty hot. No fabric roof lining to protect from the roof.

• Informative
Reactions: Cloggie
Cabin Overheat Protection is the way to go, as since they dropped the No AC option to simplify the UI it’s best left to the car itself to manage thermal characteristics efficiently (likely wider tolerance of humidity deciding AC operation). Just a bit of a nuisance to disable Sentry Mode activation (and have it off) to disable Tilt/Intrusion to auto-set it manually. While Sentry Mode can be activated via app, ending it does not re-enable Cabin Overheat Protection mode. Plus it runs for up to 12 hours before needing car to wake-up, unlock and re-lock via app to restart.

From what I recall the MCU1 official maximum temperature is 60 °C. Though the S Gen. 3 door handle units' polymer back cover has a tendency to slip downwards in high temperatures too, increasingly likelihood of wiring/sensor corrosion from condensation ending in common door failure of non-opening from outside.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel