TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

536 mile road trip in a 60kWh

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Btrflyl8e, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

This was my big weekend adventure! I was attending MACNA (Marine Aquarium Conference of North America) at the Westin Diplomat hotel on the beach in Hollywood, just north of Miami. Thanks to Tesla installing superchargers in Ft Myers, I could now drive my Model S, and I was so excited! All I needed was to solve for charging while there...a call to the hotel (they said they had no way to accommodate) and it looked like my best option was going to be an RV park about 4 miles away, so taxi back and forth. Not great, but no big deal.

Did a max charge Thursday night so we left Seminole (Tampa Bay area) Friday at noon with 208 rate miles. Arrived at the supercharger at 2:10pm with 62 rate miles. Not bad since we came through heavy rain in several spots, and had cruise set at 72 most of the way. Noticed that running windshield wipers at high speed really seems to increase energy use. Anyway, plugged in and made it to a restaurant just before a torrential downpour. Ate and after it stopped raining headed back to the car around 3:15, where we had 205 rated miles. I had it set for a max charge again only to ease range anxiety while crossing Alligator Alley as well as leave less charging to do once we got to the hotel.

When we arrived around 5:30pm with 54 rated miles, an extremely helpful valet named Julio quickly informed us that there were 110 outlets on each floor of the parking garage... he had a Leaf himself, on the 7th level. Since the conference was at the hotel and we were staying there, and had dinner included Friday and Saturday night... 110 would be just fine. We parked in a spot and plugged in, happily earning 3 mph. Good enough.

We checked the progress via the app periodically, all was well. In the morning we were up to 92 miles, when suddenly the app showed we had stopped charging around noon. We were not at a point where we could go check on it until a few hours later. I was very concerned that there could be a problem with the UMC, and that would be very, very bad. When we finally got to check it out, we could not get it to charge. Charge port would go dark blue, then flashing green, then a few seconds later red. We drove to another level and tried a different outlet. Success! We were back in business. Alas, several hours later the app showed charging had stopped yet again. We decided to just let it rest while we enjoyed the conference and the banquet. Once the banquet ended at 10 we watched the parking garage empty out from our hotel room, the walked back over to try to restart charging. Unplugged and plugged back in, charging restarted! Went to bed with positive thoughts for a successful night of charging. A check in the morning showed we were up from 112 the night before to 150, still charging at 4mph. We needed it to work without interruption all day now, since we ran into a friend at the conference who owns a Peruvian restaurant on South Beach, and made plans to have dinner there that night. It was 14 miles from the hotel to his restaurant.

By 6:15pm we were up to 180 rated miles. Charging had stopped, but we decided not to worry, it seemed to be related to the ambient temp since it charged all night just fine both Friday and Saturday nights. We hoped this theory held true for our last night, since we were using miles going to Miami for dinner we hadn't originally planned for. Drove to Miami with no issues, showed my friend the car, he provided a fantastic meal and conversation, and we headed back around 12:30am. By now the parking garage was a ghost town. We backed into the spot we had used the night before and plugged in. Charging began! We went to bed with 150 rated miles. My hope was that we would have at least 180 rated miles by hotel checkout at noon Monday.

I woke up around 8am Monday so quickly checked the app...charging at 4mph, we were up to 176, with 4 hours left to charge, we hoped. We checked out of the hotel at noon, and had 191 rated miles. Plenty for the 131 miles to Ft Myers.

Set cruise at 71 most of the way to the Ft Myers supercharger. Arrived around 2:20, forgot to look at rated miles. I think range anxiety is now a thing of the past for me! Admired the brand new blue P85+ already charging, then walked to the Islamorada Fish Co restaurant in the Bass Pro Shop for late lunch/early dinner. We got to sit in front of their 11,500 gallon saltwater aquarium, as if we hadn't seen enough of that this weekend. Just kidding, one can never see enough of that! The moment we were seated it started pouring outside again. We seemed to be plagued by crazy weather this whole trip! We had a good meal, it had stopped raining so we walked back to our car, only now there were 3 MS's charging. The P85+ was gone, but another blue and a red were charging. As I was taking a picture, another red pulled up... with Connecticut plates! He had taken the auto train part of the way down. Talked to the owner of the other blue for a minute, then we were on our way, 205 rated miles. I forgot to take it off of max charge, oops.

Never even looked at rated miles when we arrived at home.

Here's a snapshot of our stats for the entire weekend:
    090213230132.jpg

And here is a shot of 4 of us at the Ft Myers supercharger today (my 60 is the blue one sandwiched between the two reds):
    2860.jpeg

2. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Nice, post and glad to hear it all worked out with the 110v outlets. I hope your UMC isn't to blame, but I'd be on the safe side and let the nearest service center know you've had issues and they will most likely replace it free of charge.

3. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

Agreed. Having no problem charging here but I'm due for tire rotation anyway so will call tomorrow and make sure they also check the UMC. I work fairly close to the Tampa SC so may even run over tomorrow if they can check just the UMC real quick. I'll post a follow-up.

4. Crispix

Crispix Member

Very nice trip report! I had to look up "auto train" -- what a great idea, thanks for including that detail!​

5. GDH

GDH Banned

How where the seats on the long drive?. I hear they are not that comfy.

6. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

Right on! Great post.

Love seeing a bank of Teslas charging. The Superchargers are going to make these things real - to the masses!

7. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

@Crispix thanks, and the auto train has been around since I was a kid at least. I've never known anyone who used it before, though! It's probably use more by our "snowbird" population here.

@GDH The seats were OK, but we had 2 hours max before at least an hour out of the car each leg. I can see how they might not be so comfy if that was extended. Lucky me I have a 60kWh so can't really drive much longer than that without charging a bit!

@SCW-Greg Thanks! I too was really ecstatic coming around the corner and seeing I had company at the chargers. That area is a fairly busy cut thru in that shopping plaza, so they get a lot of visibility, too. 3 people driving by stopped to ask me questions, one guy and his son parked nearby to come check us all out.

8. texex91

texex91 Banned

Great trip report. I'm sure the first long trip like that could be a little nerve racking, but seems like you're a pro!

I do wonder about the charger stopping--but let us know if Service finds anything.

Pics look great.

9. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I wonder if it is actually the rain increasing rolling resistance and not the wipers themselves. I can't imagine the wiper motor would use that much power.

Glad everything worked out, and do have the UMC checked out. I have had one replaced myself, although my symptoms were a bit different (UMC wouldn't connect with car; ring just stayed white and it wouldn't lock and start charging).

10. rlang59

rlang59 Member

Auto train is awesome. I've used it a few times (not with my S) when going to Florida. It's great to have your own car when you get down there, no rentals. I prefer to travel by train, it may take longer but I hate to fly. Of course once that supercharger network to FL is done I may actually do the drive, even if it's just to say I did it.

11. jthompson

jthompson JThompson

Excellent post and summary! Thank you also for the screen shot and pic!

12. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

It's interesting how much fun it was having to figure out the charging and doing the math along the way. I think I embraced my inner geek and she seems more fun than I thought she would be! I think my boyfriend even started to believe me when every 15 minutes I announced "it's like we're on an adventure!"

13. AlMc

AlMc 'Senior Moments' member

Excellent write up. Off topic slightly...since I am a SWFish person: have large system at home and work. SW Fish hobby or work?

14. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

Totally hobby, which IS work as you know! I wish I was paid for it, considering all the research hours I put in. I'm pretty new to the hobby with just 1.5 years, and still learning how not to kill corals. I'm excellent with fish and inverts! I have a custom 70 gal now but a 200 in the works!

15. ModelS8794

ModelS8794 Member

Awesome trip report and a big LOL seeing my parent's Red S on TMC! They got their MS a few weeks ago (after I made them take mine for a spin when they visited some months back...) They are definitely enjoying the car, and did a Ft Lauderdale to Naples overnight just for the hell of it. Came up to Ft Myers to charge for the return leg... that's their red in between the 2 blues!

and +1 on the auto train... I used to use it often taking my car to school in DC and back to S. Fl for summer breaks. Definitely expensive vs. driving but was worth it to save the 13+hours on the road and get some shut eye on the train instead.

16. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

That's pretty awesome that someone recognized the car on my post! Too bad your parents weren't around, they sound like my kind of people.

17. xhawk101

xhawk101 Active Member

Great write up! Planning my 60 kwh Tampa to Miami jaunt soon. Need to find hotels with real charging. Any ideas?

18. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

#18 Btrflyl8e, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
    If they have a parking garage I bet they have 110v outlets near stairwells or utility columns. Or you can always just leave it at an RV park overnight like I was originally going to do.

There was a thread a while back on hotels in FL with charging...http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/9843-Hotels-in-Florida-with-Charging-Stations

When we got back to our car at Ft Myers Monday and there was a red parked right next to me I thought it might just be you...but alas, it was an 85 so I knew it wasn't. It would've been funny had it been you since you work like two blocks from my house yet I've never once seen you out and about!

19. caddieo

caddieo Member

Glad to know that your charging glitch was nothing serious and probably related to the outlet. When I had the blue-flashing green-red sequence about 3 weeks ago, nothing that I tried would work and the dash showed the "unable to charge" message. Did your dash have this message? The problem was eventually traced to a defective master charging unit which had to be replaced (I wrote a post on this). Any final opinions on exactly what gave you the problem?

20. jrreno

jrreno Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile

There is supposedly a Tesla charger available at the Tesla store in Miami Beach on Lincoln. Also several J1772 around town some at hotel garages according to Plugshare.