Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

540 Vehicle Server Error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is what Tesla have just replied. I am only logged into the same apps as I’ve been logged into for years….

Hello, remote diagnosis has confirmed that the issue being caused by repeated data requests from a third party. A third party application is spamming your Model 3 for status updates, preventing communication with the Tesla APP.
Even if the third party had the credentials and was then deleted, your Tesla will still be under the control of a third party as the credentials are still stored in their databases.
We can remotely resolve this issue for you by completing the following steps;
1. Change your myTesla password and discontinue use of the apps.
2. The security credentials then need resetting to prevent the vehicle from being woken.
Please provide consent to reset the credentials, this will sign out all accounts.
Once this is complete, sign back into the APP and the connection should then be restored.
Please could you reply to this message once step 1 is complete if you give your consent to reset the credentials.
Kind regards , Tesla Service.
Interesting theory. When I first got this error, I had NO third party apps. Since then, I've started using Stats (and only Stats) and have not had a repeat of the error.

Not saying they're wrong, but I don't think third party apps are the cause in all cases. Certainly not in mine.

Well, it is a worldwide issue today.

And my first thought (as someone who was without a voip phone for a couple of weeks last month) was a DDoS attack for ransomware.

The fact that Elon replied "Checking...." but then didn't update for several hours didn't assure me I was being paranoid.

Finally, previously Tesla has claimed:

A third party application is spamming your Model 3 for status updates, preventing communication with the Tesla APP.

Which adds to my theory since those with the ransomware were building a botnet to spam for status updates to take down the App.

Hello, New to TMC with a new to me 2018 MX 100D. I am interested in seeing home charging amounts and costs.
I have been trying to use STATS and today started a 2 week trial of Tessie. Since day one the installation of STATS has been very intermittent with being able to see data past the opening page. I keep getting 503 errors noted as 'the operation has been limited due to an earlier error: request failed with HTTP status code 503. Support for STATS said this is an intermittent error from the Apple side of ICloud for a few users.
I installed Tessie (2 week trial) to see if it was any better. I did get connection with Tessie when I could not get connected to STATS.
BUT.. this evening all three (Tesla original and two 3rd parties) would not connect. I got OEM and Tessie to connect time after a two button reboot. STATS still not showing data.
Was this problem and the 504 related to what you are seeing?
Frustrated with cost of a less than stable app.

Thanks
Danny

I do have stats installed but I’ve had it installed for 5+ years with no issue. I did write to the dev and he assured me it’s not his app.

Currently I have no app installed and have done a reset and password change per Tesla’s instructions. I currently can’t connect to my car but I think this is due to the worldwide outage at the moment. However, the 540 server error is not showing currently.

I do have stats installed but I’ve had it installed for 5+ years with no issue. I did write to the dev and he assured me it’s not his app.

Currently I have no app installed and have done a reset and password change per Tesla’s instructions. I currently can’t connect to my car but I think this is due to the worldwide outage at the moment. However, the 540 server error is not showing currently.
@Pagemakers, Thank you. I will TRY to continue to be patient. Hopefully it will sort it out in the next 13 days before I need to make a decision on one or the other.

I got this error after updating to 2021.44.25.6 and filed a service request. Tesla responded that it is a known issue, and advised to do the two-button reboot. That seems to have fixed it, although I won't be surprised if it happens again given what I'm reading on the forums.