Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

540 Vehicle Server Error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have two cars, one 2018 3 and a 2016 X. No third-party apps now or ever. Both accessed with the same account.
The X (2020.48.37.8 - it hasn't prompted for an update in quite a while) gets this error every few weeks, sometimes more often.
The 3 (2021.44.30.14) never gets it.

Noting too that the X computer has been sluggish "AF" ever since it was upgraded with the FSD hardware, but that's a long rant in its own right... It also got a recall letter about the SSD memory about a year ago with a "don't call us, we'll call you" vibe to it.

And I cannot get into the car to do the two button reset since it is frozen closed. Heat gun did thaw the drivers window so I could get in. Then the two button salute did work.
Really? Last time I had this issue, the Bluetooth connection to the car allowed me to control it (lock/unlock/vent windows). I didn’t try to pre-heat, but assumed that would have worked if needed.

So a quick update on this.

I’ve been logged into the Stats app for the past few weeks and I’ve had no 540 errors since so the conclusion is the Stats app did not cause this issue.

I think Tesla we’re having a few server issues at the time and that for me at least has been resolved now.

Reactions: RomanJackson
Hi. Not sure it’s relevant - but may be. I switched on Calendar Sync in app settings. (iPhone) Then on returning to the app Home Screen the error was there for the first time. - guessing - could it be the calendar app is connecting and the security issue gets flagged.

Reactions: MarkCR
I use TeslaFi. I've been getting this error a lot lately and after disabling logging with TeslaFi the errors have stopped occurring. As soon as I reenable logging with TeslaFi the errors return at a regular cadence. At this time there is a high correlation between TeslaFi being enabled and this error. I will be discontinuing use of TeslaFi until some fix or confirmation is made that this is not the cause.

I use TeslaFi. I've been getting this error a lot lately and after disabling logging with TeslaFi the errors have stopped occurring. As soon as I reenable logging with TeslaFi the errors return at a regular cadence. At this time there is a high correlation between TeslaFi being enabled and this error. I will be discontinuing use of TeslaFi until some fix or confirmation is made that this is not the cause.
I have had TeslaFi and haven’t had this happen even once since the major outage that affected everyone. 2nd MY was impacted once after the main outage but not again since. Both on TeslaFi.

Not sure that is really a correlation. I did create a dedicated TeslaFi account and don’t use my Tesla account for access. That may help, not sure.

I have had TeslaFi and haven’t had this happen even once since the major outage that affected everyone. 2nd MY was impacted once after the main outage but not again since. Both on TeslaFi.

Not sure that is really a correlation. I did create a dedicated TeslaFi account and don’t use my Tesla account for access. That may help, not sure.
What do you mean a dedicated account? It still needs an API token for your vehicle so it's still making requests to your Tesla.

What do you mean a dedicated account? It still needs an API token for your vehicle so it's still making requests to your Tesla.
Agreed, but the API token it uses was generated on a different Tesla account. Not my account. Could it be that the Tesla just stops responding to that particular API token? Im not sure. I just wanted to confirm I haven’t had any issues with TeslaFi, and I’m sure most people don‘t.

Agreed, but the API token it uses was generated on a different Tesla account. Not my account. Could it be that the Tesla just stops responding to that particular API token? Im not sure. I just wanted to confirm I haven’t had any issues with TeslaFi, and I’m sure most people don‘t.
What version of vehicle software are the Teslas running?