Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

55K for 100D Model X from Tesla??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have autopilot on a new Model Y and it doesn’t change lanes with signal press... it’s only available on FSD for me.

I think the older models EAP (enhanced autopilot) allowed for changing lanes on signal press...

ah, good ol tesla changing the names of everything lol. I have ap1 and can switch lanes. "ap with convenience features". not sure what that maps out to in 2021

AP1 : Any car with autopilot enabled will change lanes when turn signal is pressed.
AP2 with enhanced autopilot (EAP) or FSD : Sold since Nov2016 : car will change lanes when turn signal is pressed.
AP2 with basic autopilot (included free with all Teslas since April 2019). Car does NOT change lanes when turn signal is pressed, you have to disable the autopilot to change lanes. Enhanced autopilot is not an option anymore in the US, so you need to spend $10K for FSD if you want the car to change lanes when the turn signal is pressed. This is the best feature of FSD for cars sold since April 2019 in the US.

AP1 : Any car with autopilot enabled will change lanes when turn signal is pressed.
AP2 with enhanced autopilot (EAP) or FSD : Sold since Nov2016 : car will change lanes when turn signal is pressed.
AP2 with basic autopilot (included free with all Teslas since April 2019). Car does NOT change lanes when turn signal is pressed, you have to disable the autopilot to change lanes. Enhanced autopilot is not an option anymore in the US, so you need to spend $10K for FSD if you want the car to change lanes when the turn signal is pressed. This is the best feature of FSD for cars sold since April 2019 in the US.
Thanks for the info.

I chuckled when you said the best feature of FSD cars is basically AP1 😂

Reactions: Greg29
as someone who has a S with FSD and a Y with basic AP AND who used to have EAP (on the S before FSD). I can honestly say, in order:
#1. EAP
#2. AP

#3. FSD.

#1 and #2 could be interchangeable honestly, depending on your priorities.

Thanks for the info.

I chuckled when you said the best feature of FSD cars is basically AP1 😂
Speaks volumes to the usefulness and the "worth" of FSD to date. Some been buying in since OCT. 2016 and had yet to get more than basic functions over AP1. Sure EAP and FSD will smart summon to you in a parking lt
as someone who has a S with FSD and a Y with basic AP AND who used to have EAP (on the S before FSD). I can honestly say, in order:
#1. EAP
#2. AP

#3. FSD.

Further proves FSD is basically useless at this point... Most people buy now based on the fear of it becoming "active" and price gauged upward...

Sure EAP and FSD will smart summon to you in a parking lt

tell me more about this smart summon 🤣

Last night I was putting my car in the garage with Summon. I asked the car to go forward as I have done many times. This time it started forward and just as it entered the garage the wheel turned sharp and the car hit the garage wall at the door. I called Tesla and they did not seam concerned at all. I am scheduled to bring the car in next month and they said discuss it then. This is not the first time but I have always been able to stop it. Has anyone had the same situation with a simple straight forward summon. I am more concerned with the lack of concern by Tesla as if the car driving it self into a wall it self is normal. Sorry I am not good at posting so I added it to the thread above by mistake.

#1. EAP
#2. AP

#3. FSD.

I've said it before (and I'll probably say it again if given half the chance) but people think I'm crazy when I say: AP1 > AP2

...at least for the needs of my wife and I in our cars. I can't believe that they actually took away features & functionality of AP1 unless you paid for an upgraded version that is no longer even available. I would have assumed that whatever functionality existed prior in AP1 would be carried over and then anything upgraded in AP2 would be part of the upgrade premium.

Sadly, the way I found out was by finding two close friends cars this week that had AP2+ and it wasn't until both of them told me that they couldn't get the car to change lanes automatically when AP was enabled that I investigated this issue. I still can't believe that their cars can't do that which nearly makes AP pointless if you're constantly taking it out of AP and putting it back in every single time you want to change lanes.

I was telling them both via separate text conversations: "No, it will do it. I'm sure it's just a setting you need to enable or something since you have WAY more options and settings than I do. Probably some ToC you have to agree to to enable it that's preventing it from happening." Nope.

Unreal.

I've said it before (and I'll probably say it again if given half the chance) but people think I'm crazy when I say: AP1 > AP2

...at least for the needs of my wife and I in our cars. I can't believe that they actually took away features & functionality of AP1 unless you paid for an upgraded version that is no longer even available. I would have assumed that whatever functionality existed prior in AP1 would be carried over and then anything upgraded in AP2 would be part of the upgrade premium.

Sadly, the way I found out was by finding two close friends cars this week that had AP2+ and it wasn't until both of them told me that they couldn't get the car to change lanes automatically when AP was enabled that I investigated this issue. I still can't believe that their cars can't do that which nearly makes AP pointless if you're constantly taking it out of AP and putting it back in every single time you want to change lanes.

I was telling them both via separate text conversations: "No, it will do it. I'm sure it's just a setting you need to enable or something since you have WAY more options and settings than I do. Probably some ToC you have to agree to to enable it that's preventing it from happening." Nope.

Unreal.
i don't usually agree with you, but I do agree 100%

Looks like this thread is about AP now, so I'll share my experience. I have a 2018 Model 3 with $5K EAP and $3K FSD bought in the original car purchase.
AP2 with FSD clearly DESTROYS AP1 in many ways, but mostly these 2 things:
1) AP2 car has cameras on sides and rear that are used during driving for safety, so automatic lane changes are much safer than AP1, which doesn't have ANY cameras on sides, just low-range sensors.
2) FSD on city streets is awesome, my car drives for long periods automatically through intersections, and stops for all stop signs and red lights.
Other nice features of FSD are:
- Navigate on Autopilot can be good in certain situations, the freeway changes are nice and I like when the car tells you when to change lanes in advance to prepare.
- I use summon frequently to move my car a few inches forward or backward when parking in tight city spots or near driveways.
- Auto parallel parking is very good, but only when offered on the screen.
Oh, and also the actual FSD software rewrite from ground up with AI and video labelling is supposedly going to launch wide within 3 months. I'm impressed by the Beta videos that are showing that.
AP1 is awesome, AP2 is great for safety but crappy for lane changes, AP2+FSD is the KING!