Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5amp charge setting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm at wits end. My 2020 MY charges at 32amps and when done later in the evening shows 5amps charge available. 5amps is NOT permitted under the J1772 standard, so this throws up a red flag to me.

Here are some details....
0) if we program the car to charge as soon as it is plugged in, it will charge at the HPWC's advertised rate until full and stop. When it stops it will show 5amps.
1) we have MS, MY and M3... none of the other cars show 5amps when they finish charging. A neighbor has a 2021 MY and his does not show 5amp when charging is complete.
2) we have three gen 2 HPWC units in the car ports which used to be networked sharing a 48amp connection. One of my first troubleshooting steps was to separate these chargers from each other. We have charged the MY from all three of these HPWC's always with the same result.
3) I have a 14-50 in the workshop which is fed separate from the car port. Same result. all cars work correctly except for the MY.
4) We contacted Tesla and they sent a tech out 3 times. 2nd trip he replaced the charge port, 3rd trip he replaced the charge ECU.
5) We took the car to the Matthews NC service center and left it with them two days. They said they had installed a log in the car before we brought it to them (good, awesome troubleshooting tool) and that we had dirty power. They charged the car at the service center and never saw the issue.
6) We brought the car home and on the first charge, it flipped to 5amps when done.
7) we took the car to a neighbor's house and charged it... we did NOT see the problem two nights in a row.

Tesla would not tell me what voltages or how they determined we had dirty power.... so I'm just guessing here...

So... we must have dirty power. But what? I do have solar inverters and none of them are complaining about voltage or power factor errors. I guess I'll have the power company pull the meter so I can check all the lugs on that 4/0 service entrance and the ground. Any other ideas?

The thing that stumps me is why doesn't it happen to my M3 or the neighbor's MY?

Is the Tesla Model Y actually pulling 5A while parked, not charging or is 5A the the charging amperage setting after charging has been completed?

If your Home location is set in the Tesla Navigation system the Tesla Charging Settings for Home and Other should be retained for these locations for the next time you charge. I.e. at home I may have set up Scheduled Departure so charging will take place during the early A.M. At other charging stations away from home charging begins immediately as soon as I plug in to charge.

I have the opposite issue where my Model Y frequently reverts to 48A as the default charging amperage (even though my AmazingE FAST EVSE only supports charging at a maximum of 32A.)

It would be interesting to grab an oscilloscope and see what the supply voltage actually looks like, ideally under load.

The fact that only this particular car reverts to 5 Amps doesn't necessarily mean that the car is the problem, especially not since you ruled out that possibility by checking what happens if you charge elsewhere. It's possible that it's just a bit more sensitive when it comes to "dirty power". The other cars would probably do the same thing but their tolerance might be just a bit higher.

Is the Tesla Model Y actually pulling 5A while parked, not charging or is 5A the the charging amperage setting after charging has been completed?

If your Home location is set in the Tesla Navigation system the Tesla Charging Settings for Home and Other should be retained for these locations for the next time you charge. I.e. at home I may have set up Scheduled Departure so charging will take place during the early A.M. At other charging stations away from home charging begins immediately as soon as I plug in to charge.

I have the opposite issue where my Model Y frequently reverts to 48A as the default charging amperage (even though my AmazingE FAST EVSE only supports charging at a maximum of 32A.)
If I manually tell it to start charging it will charge at 32amps. But the 5amp setting is interfering with the scheduled charging because it can't calculate a start time. This is how we first discovered it.... it didn't charge for 3 successive days.

Are you saying the car will try to pull 48 amps through your 32 amp EVSE? This should never be possible, regardless of any car setting, for properly functioning J1772 compliant EVSE.

Are you saying the car will try to pull 48 amps through your 32 amp EVSE? This should never be possible, regardless of any car setting, for properly functioning J1772 compliant EVSE.
No; not stating that. The Tesla vehicle may default to the 48 amp charging setting but is overridden by the EVSE. In this case the AmazingE FAST will only enable charging at 32 amps. Charging is limited to 32 amps.

If I manually tell it to start charging it will charge at 32amps. But the 5amp setting is interfering with the scheduled charging because it can't calculate a start time. This is how we first discovered it.... it didn't charge for 3 successive days.
In these situations when troubleshooting a charging settings problem start by disabling any 3rd party applications that you have enabled, given access to your Tesla credentials. Change your Tesla account password and watch for alerts on your phone that the suspect app is unable to access your account.

Another thing you could do is delete the Home location in the Navigation system and then set the Home location when parked close to your home charging location.

^^^ This is where to start. It sounds like you have narrowed down the issue to Your Car + Your Location. Other Location or Other Car does not cause the issue, and changing the EVSE does not change the outcome. "Dirty Power" is a thing, but has nothing to do with your issue. You need to clear the car's setting for what charging settings to use at your location. Deleting Home may work, a factory default will also probably work.

In these situations when troubleshooting a charging settings problem start by disabling any 3rd party applications that you have enabled, given access to your Tesla credentials. Change your Tesla account password and watch for alerts on your phone that the suspect app is unable to access your account.

Another thing you could do is delete the Home location in the Navigation system and then set the Home location when parked close to your home charging location.
Thanks for hte suggestions.... user profile was the first thing tesla ranger went after. I can delete the home location and start fresh just to be sure. Also, there are no third party apps given access to any of our cars.... wait a minute.... let me check that. I think my wife had something on her apple watch. Hmmm...... Will check when I have her and car at home again.

Thanks for hte suggestions.... user profile was the first thing tesla ranger went after. I can delete the home location and start fresh just to be sure. Also, there are no third party apps given access to any of our cars.... wait a minute.... let me check that. I think my wife had something on her apple watch. Hmmm...... Will check when I have her and car at home again.
You can always change your account password and revoke any tokens. Then you'll know nothing is connecting with the car and messing things up.

Reactions: alexcue and ai4px