Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5G cell connection in new updated model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw a report but nothing confirmed yet. It does make sense--think about it, many connected car companies are dropping 3G in lieu of 4G[LTE] so naturally as the demands of connected vehicles increase, bandwidth needs grow. This connectivity is already borne by owner (after 1st year) so why not on new vehicles. Would be nice to offer a retrofit for older cars too.

Reactions: Watts_Up
There are some shutting down earlier than 7-8 years. The point is they should be using modules that are going to be relevant T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint 2G/3G/4G LTE network shutdown dates: the sunset!
I suppose it would be nice if the mobile radios could be replaced for few dollars and little time but the article doesn't support the headline. The Sprint part of TMobile is a special case. Sprint is essentially being wound down. Regarding native TMobile legacy shutdowns (per TMobile support) "no date has been set".

Once planes start crashing, they will all scurry back to 4G and LTE..... ;)
What is this issue with airplanes? I can not believe that the FCC and the FAA had failed us. Why are they bickering on this? We have these Federal government regulators for a reason. This would be one of them. The FCC owns all the frequencies that are used in the United States. If the aviation community has issues with a broadcast, they should be petitioning the Federal Communication Commission, not gripe to the media. Something is going on here we don't see yet.