Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5G is coming this year...will TESLA offer an upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Uhh no. V2V won't ever happen, but this wouldn't do that anyway.

V2V via 5G is the core of this whole idea, exactly because the lower latency (and not getting chocked on bandwidth) would make it feasible. LTE just isn't fast enough to try use it like that.

The car will fallback to LTE or 4G whenever you leave a city anyway.

That's the real problem with 5G. Not that it's incapable of communication at low enough latency to enable V2V, the problem is the $ and time to deploy it widely enough that you can reasonably rely on coverage of roads to build your FSB around it, without the FSB being tightly constrained to densely populated areas.

Potentially you could have a dual system, non-5G for most highways and rural-ish roads and 5G based for far more busy areas? *shrug* Not sure how much the really buys, though.

V2V via 5G is the core of this whole idea, exactly because the lower latency (and not getting chocked on bandwidth) would make it feasible. LTE just isn't fast enough to try use it like that.

That's the real problem with 5G. Not that it's incapable of communication at low enough latency to enable V2V, the problem is the $ and time to deploy it widely enough that you can reasonably rely on coverage of roads to build your FSB around it, without the FSB being tightly constrained to densely populated areas.

Potentially you could have a dual system, non-5G for most highways and rural-ish roads and 5G based for far more busy areas? *shrug* Not sure how much the really buys, though.

V2V would be DOA for many reasons.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Bumping the thread, has anyone heard anything additional about 5G offerings for Tesla vehicles, now that 5G is becoming more prevalent? Personally, I would love to be able to bypass upgrading to 4G on my 2015 S85D and go straight to 5G if it makes sense/provides enough value.

Be careful what you wish for.

Based on what we have seen with the MCU1 > MCU2 upgrades I would expect the 5G upgrade if/when it happens will probably result in a new SIM which runs 5G for data but doesn't do phone calls anymore.

If you do want to make phone calls, you'll need to wait another 6 months for the 'calls' upgrade and pay a further $500.

• Funny
Reactions: maximizese
I’d absolutely pay for a 5G upgrade for my MCU2 equipped, preAP 2013 MS. Reducing loading times between sources and streaming video would be nice

I’d wager that almost all of that “load time” is the result of the limitations of the computing platform, not wireless network bandwidth. LTE networks are plenty fast for the tasks you describe and it will be years before 5G dramatically improves on them in significant amounts of geographic area.

Be careful what you wish for.

Based on what we have seen with the MCU1 > MCU2 upgrades I would expect the 5G upgrade if/when it happens will probably result in a new SIM which runs 5G for data but doesn't do phone calls anymore.

If you do want to make phone calls, you'll need to wait another 6 months for the 'calls' upgrade and pay a further $500.

I understand you’re joking but the car’s data connection doesn’t have anything to do with making phone calls in any case. Your phone is used to make phone calls.

I understand you’re joking but the car’s data connection doesn’t have anything to do with making phone calls in any case. Your phone is used to make phone calls.

Yep, it was in jest and I do understand it's the phone that makes the calls.

I was alluding to the loss of radio reception on the MCU 'upgrade' and the need to pay again to get back what you already had before the upgrade.

I'll get my coat...

LTE networks are plenty fast for the tasks you describe and it will be years before 5G dramatically improves on them in significant amounts of geographic area.
5G will certainly sell more phones as people are convinced they need the latest tech, I won't bother though as I see speeds up to 300 Mbps on 4G now (on my phone), I don't know why you'd need any faster 'for a car'.

5G comes in a variety of flavors and not all are the same. Speed is great but coverage is poor compared to LTE. T-Mobile has the best coverage but not the best speed. Some reports claim it is slower than Verizon 4G. Verizon millimeter wave is the fastest but it is not available in most locations and is intended mostly for stadiums and large events. AT&T has the best compromise for speed and coverage but still unreliable in rural communities. For Tesla, I would like to see them complete their 4G buildout as I get signal dead zones even here in Florida where my maps disappear.
I can see 5G working only while stationary near a 5G repeater. It's too bad because many companies are selling 5G on hype, not real world performance. With the new iphone 12's out, I'm afraid there will be lots of disappointed users who upgraded for 5G reason. If you have 5G at work and at home, you are not the normal iphone user. For the rest of us, I will get serious on 5G when it is wide spread and faster and more reliable than Verizon LTE.

I agree that Tesla needs to improve their wifi antenna location. I get excellent wifi where I park at home as shown to the right on my iphone both 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz. But the Tesla had only one dot signal. So I had to add a wifi repeater on the garage about 15 ft on the corner of the house at the passenger side of the car the way I park. Now I get 5 bars of signal and it connects in seconds as I back in. My updates are very reliable so far now.

Starlink may be a future possibility but this will require a 2 ft diameter antenna built into either in the roof or the hood. The jury is still out on speed and rain fade reliability of Starlink beta testers. So far, not looking good except for users with no other options for broadband.

5G comes in a variety of flavors and not all are the same. Speed is great but coverage is poor compared to LTE. T-Mobile has the best coverage but not the best speed. Some reports claim it is slower than Verizon 4G. Verizon millimeter wave is the fastest but it is not available in most locations and is intended mostly for stadiums and large events. AT&T has the best compromise for speed and coverage but still unreliable in rural communities. For Tesla, I would like to see them complete their 4G buildout as I get signal dead zones even here in Florida where my maps disappear.
I can see 5G working only while stationary near a 5G repeater. It's too bad because many companies are selling 5G on hype, not real world performance. With the new iphone 12's out, I'm afraid there will be lots of disappointed users who upgraded for 5G reason. If you have 5G at work and at home, you are not the normal iphone user. For the rest of us, I will get serious on 5G when it is wide spread and faster and more reliable than Verizon LTE.

I agree that Tesla needs to improve their wifi antenna location. I get excellent wifi where I park at home as shown to the right on my iphone both 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz. But the Tesla had only one dot signal. So I had to add a wifi repeater on the garage about 15 ft on the corner of the house at the passenger side of the car the way I park. Now I get 5 bars of signal and it connects in seconds as I back in. My updates are very reliable so far now.

Starlink may be a future possibility but this will require a 2 ft diameter antenna built into either in the roof or the hood. The jury is still out on speed and rain fade reliability of Starlink beta testers. So far, not looking good except for users with no other options for broadband.
agree with you...5G is still in it infancy and needs to mature.....My wife and I have iPhones, mine a 6 plus and hers a 10s....We have 2 towers near our house....1 is .5 miles LOS and 1 1,5 miles LOS....ATT sucks here.....Wife want to get new 11 Pro and I was thinking of new 12 Pro.....but, I think the smart decision is to get 11 Pro.....just not enough differences in specs for me....Both take great pix and the 5G I am sure will be limited in our Irvine neighborhood.....

so its 11 pros for us and in 4 yrs maybe 5G