TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

$5k Delivery fee? Really?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by SoloRX7, Feb 14, 2017.

1. SoloRX7

SoloRX7 Member

Does that also come with some extra special services?

Was searching the CPO's and found one I liked, until I saw this:

Tesla Delivery Fee 70D.jpg

2. mynameisjim

mynameisjim Member

something to do with texas law?

3. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

For that price... Enjoy a roadtrip... Pick up the CPO and DRIVE it back!

• Informative x 1
  4. Brnz

Brnz Supporting Member

Mine's 1200 and I'm picking it up at the factory, which apparently has more expensive parking than even San Francisco.

• Funny x 1
  5. Venomboy

Venomboy Member

I was told that in California they will waive delivery fees for in-state vehicles. But I was also told a lot of things by Tesla that didn't come true.

• Like x 1
  6. beldar77

beldar77 Member

The car may be located in Hawaii. Try entering an Oahu or Maui zipcode and see if the charge comes up.

• Like x 3
  7. RichardD

RichardD Supporting Member

I picked mine up in Denver Co, and drove it back to Houston. Frontier had a special for 1 way flight $24.88 all fees included. Made it a weekend get away with the wife.. It was great. At the time delivery was 2k. What better way to get to know your new car than a 22 hour road trip.

• Like x 5
    • Informative x 1
  8. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Member

That generally implies that it's on an island somewhere, and requires something other than a transport truck.

9. TexLaw

TexLaw Member

Yep. They're gonna need a boat. I recall reading that delivery charges can be $5k when it's outside the continental US (e.g., to Hawaii). I bet it works the other way around, too.

10. SoloRX7

SoloRX7 Member

The site doesn't say where it is... I'm pretty sure it used to. In fact, I know it did, because I used to be able to filter to the closest locations. Others are in the $2k range. That's a lot of dough to deliver a car.

11. Brnz

Brnz Supporting Member

I've had a car or two shipped long haul across the US and 1200-2000 isn't unreasonable, especially with some detailing and an educational chat at delivery. 1200 for meeting at the factory seems silly. Maybe 500, if it's spotless and they spend an hour or two with me.

12. smartypnz

smartypnz Supporting Member

Delivery fees are locked - no matter where in the U.S. (believe it is a law)
    No - California does not waive delivery fees for delivery in Ca.

We picked up a couple BMW's in Germany for 2 weeks - returned them to factory - BMW shipped to our local dealer with regular new cars. Ordered from different U.S. dealers. Delivery fee was same as at all BMW dealers - even cars on the lot. Our deliveries were on both coasts of U.S.

People questioned delivery fees for their just introduced Tesla (factory pickup or shipped to Florida) - fee is same.

• Disagree x 1
  13. SoloRX7

SoloRX7 Member

I've never paid more than $800 to ship to either coast, northern or southern parts. Granted, it's been a few years since I've done that. I could swallow $1200 when considering large company mark ups (Tesla) and the associated detailing from being on a truck. $2k seems excessive, especially at today's fuel prices and the presumed volume of shipping that Tesla does. $5k is insane and better involve a boat or plane, but in reality it doesn't matter because I'd never pay that. Maybe I'm also just a cheap curmudgeon, too. TX is in the middle of the country, we're not talking about going the whole length of the USA.

14. DragonWatch

DragonWatch Small Foot Print

Yes, they are charging the fee ~ politely get over it. Our complaining will not resolve the issue:(

Now getting California to stop charging you tax @ pick up in Fredmont, when you live in Oklahoma, then there is something that can be done ~ beat your head against the wall;)

15. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

That on is $5000 for me in CA as well. I am guessing its a Hawaii car. Call and ask.

Edit: mystery solved. Enter an Oahu zip code and the transportation fee goes to zero.

16. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Member

They should just put the car location back on and it will solve a lot of complain. 5k is expensive but understandable if it has to ride a boat and truck for a few thousand miles

17. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Member

A couple years ago I priced shipping a Viper around the country in an enclosed trailer with insurance. It usually worked about to $1.00/mile.
    Could get the price down if I was shipping multiple vehicles to the same town.

18. bharned3

bharned3 Member

If you buy from your region there is no delivery fee. I'm in Texas and ordered mine was in Chicago and was no delivery fee. Email Brent Seavey he is the CPO advisor for our region. I'll pm you his email.

19. LuPapa

LuPapa Member

Most of the CPo list the region they are in. selecting one in your local region yields a zero shipping fee. For Texas that seems to include Chicago for some reason.

20. Indpowr

Indpowr Member

Alaska and Hawaii bring 5k. Anything past about 3 states is 2k