TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

5k is a smart upgrade for a s85D vs s85 for a non Snow belt climate and why?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by drsaab, Nov 10, 2014.

1. drsaab

drsaab Member

Looking for ordering advice.

Now that the range difference is only about 10 miles extra (not 30 miles as first thought), and 0-60 is 0.2 sec faster and price went up to $5000. What would still make you get a D for a non Snow belt climate?

Most other Manufacturers only charge 2-3k for 4matic. This 5k Is a big jump now.

2. brkaus

brkaus Member

I would also guess the D would have higher repair cost due to the additional moving parts? And smaller frunk.

The positive I can think of is perhaps splitting the work would put less strain on a single component.

3. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

It's a personal choice with your level of comfort. I have an S85 and went skiing 10 straight weekends including some significant snowstorms and never had any concern about the weather. I do have dedicated snow tires. Having said that, I never had to drive through more than about 3" of unpacked snow on the roadway with plowing, etc. There are advantages to AWD beyond performance in snow, but I would not buy it just for the snow performance.