Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$5k MCU2 / HW3 Upgrade (MX) (Help!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone so I'm not sure if you guys remember but about a month ago i made a post on reddit in regards to Tesla wanting to charge me a $2700 fee (On top of the $2500$) for my MCU2 Upgrade...SO I THOUGHT. I made an appointment June 27th and My service was scheduled for July 16th. They called me on the 15th saying they didn't have the parts for the HW3 Upgrade, so they pushed my appointment to July 29th(Tomorrow). I didn't think much of it at the time of scheduling (June 27th) because maybe it was a mistake on their end. Fast forward to today, i called the SC to make sure they had my parts and they said they did! I then proceeded to ask about the extra $2700 charge they put on my invoice (which i thought was MCU 2 Related), but come to find out, its a charge for the HW3 Upgrade!! I have full self driving and if I'm not mistaken HW3 Upgrade should be complimentary. On my invoice it says the Retrofit is free but it says I still have to pay for the parts? I've never seen this happen to anyone on this Subreddit or on TMC.com so im beyond confused. I didn't really argue with the guy on the phone cause there was no point but I'm definitely going to see whats up tomorrow in person, cause this is very strange. If anyone has any background experience with this or tips on what i should do or say, please lmk. Thanks! (03/17 MX W/ AP2)

Are you sure that you had FSD paid for and not EAP. It sounds like the charge is the difference from EAP to FSD plus the MCU1 to 2 upgrade. You are correct that all customers that previously shelled out for EAP + FSD have gotten or will get the FSD upgrade without a charge. I am in that category. I only had the FSD upgrade done without a charge. The key for the build of your vehicle, you would have had to pay for both separately. It was not a single package back then.

Are you sure that you had FSD paid for and not EAP. It sounds like the charge is the difference from EAP to FSD plus the MCU1 to 2 upgrade. You are correct that all customers that previously shelled out for EAP + FSD have gotten or will get the FSD upgrade without a charge. I am in that category. I only had the FSD upgrade done without a charge. The key for the build of your vehicle, you would have had to pay for both separately. It was not a single package back then.

I'm %1000 positive i have FSD.

It's in my MVPA. It shows that the vehicle comes pre equipped w/ FSD and it says I have all available upgrades when i go in the tesla app.

This isn't complicated. Don't accept whatever (the FSD upgrade) they intend to charge you $2700 for. Do the MCU2 upgrade and pay for it. You can schedule the FSD HW update later once someone else fights with their SC Manager and forces them to correct their mistakes.

True. When I scheduled the HW3.0 upgrade via the app, they gave me the estimation with $$$$$ on the bill. I had to fight back and told them i should get it for free. They confirmed & adjusted the bill before I turned my car in.

This isn't complicated. Don't accept whatever (the FSD upgrade) they intend to charge you $2700 for. Do the MCU2 upgrade and pay for it. You can schedule the FSD HW update later once someone else fights with their SC Manager and forces them to correct their mistakes.

Reactions: Akikiki
I had my HW3 upgrade done about 2 weeks ago, there was no mention of any upgrade fee. I had several other things done at the same time that did involve fees, but did not do the MCU2 upgrade at the same time. FYI, I didn't schedule through the app, I emailed my service center and scheduled with them directly.

Hey everyone so I'm not sure if you guys remember but about a month ago i made a post on reddit in regards to Tesla wanting to charge me a $2700 fee (On top of the $2500$) for my MCU2 Upgrade...SO I THOUGHT. I made an appointment June 27th and My service was scheduled for July 16th. They called me on the 15th saying they didn't have the parts for the HW3 Upgrade, so they pushed my appointment to July 29th(Tomorrow). I didn't think much of it at the time of scheduling (June 27th) because maybe it was a mistake on their end. Fast forward to today, i called the SC to make sure they had my parts and they said they did! I then proceeded to ask about the extra $2700 charge they put on my invoice (which i thought was MCU 2 Related), but come to find out, its a charge for the HW3 Upgrade!! I have full self driving and if I'm not mistaken HW3 Upgrade should be complimentary. On my invoice it says the Retrofit is free but it says I still have to pay for the parts? I've never seen this happen to anyone on this Subreddit or on TMC.com so im beyond confused. I didn't really argue with the guy on the phone cause there was no point but I'm definitely going to see whats up tomorrow in person, cause this is very strange. If anyone has any background experience with this or tips on what i should do or say, please lmk. Thanks! (03/17 MX W/ AP2)

My model X 2020 purchased in Dec 2019 started rebooting while driving. Then all of sudden Quit cooling. Service center is keeping the car and gave me a loaner. If understood right they said they have to change to MCU 2 which may not be available for several weeks. Anybody had that problem or understands what it means.

My model X 2020 purchased in Dec 2019 started rebooting while driving. Then all of sudden Quit cooling. Service center is keeping the car and gave me a loaner. If understood right they said they have to change to MCU 2 which may not be available for several weeks. Anybody had that problem or understands what it means.
Nope. An 2020 car is definitely a MCU2 already car. I guess they are short on the mcu2 to replace a new one for you.