Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$5K price drop?

SD Diver

Apr 5, 2016
San Diego
Figures, three weeks after I take delivery of an inventory S LR+, the price drops by $5K. S now starts at $74990, down from $79990. Poor timing...

CapeOne

Jun 14, 2016
New England
When you factor in larger/better batteries with longer range, more and more optional equipment becoming standard, etc. new Model S prices have dropped significantly over the years. Go back just two years, a 2018 MS 100D with EAP/FSD and 335 miles range was around $105k. Now you can buy a new 2020 MS LR+ with EAP/FSD and 391 miles range for around $83k. Granted, that 2018 MS was eligible for $7,500 in federal tax credits that aren't available today. Also, I believe part of the recent $5k reduction was the elimination of free supercharging.

The $5k reduction is similar to a manufacturer putting a $5k (additional) rebate on a car and yes, it's unfortunate when that happens just weeks after buying but there's not much you can do about it. Buying used may reduce the impact some but drops in new car prices also affect used values.

Once you buy a new car, house or whatever it's generally best not to keep tracking prices as you're likely to come across a "better" deal, see a new rebate, etc. Instead ,simply enjoy your purchase.:)

Reactions: Beckler

.FP.

May 13, 2020
NY
When you factor in larger/better batteries with longer range, more and more optional equipment becoming standard, etc. new Model S prices have dropped significantly over the years. Go back just two years, a 2018 MS 100D with EAP/FSD and 335 miles range was around $105k. Now you can buy a new 2020 MS LR+ with EAP/FSD and 391 miles range for around $83k. Granted, that 2018 MS was eligible for $7,500 in federal tax credits that aren't available today. Also, I believe part of the recent $5k reduction was the elimination of free supercharging.

I agree with your post, although, they are still giving free unlimited supercharging with the 5k drop.

.FP.

May 13, 2020
NY

Attachments

• 431E9C91-A1AC-4AD0-AA04-5A3927D33CD9.jpeg
    431E9C91-A1AC-4AD0-AA04-5A3927D33CD9.jpeg
    395.9 KB · Views: 43

CapeOne

Jun 14, 2016
New England
I agree with your post, although, they are still giving free unlimited supercharging with the 5k drop.
That appears to be true for "existing inventory" but does it also apply to new orders? If you special order a new MS today, will it include free unlimited supercharging?

sukhi

Mar 15, 2016
Palo Alto
I just got mine last Tuesday, could not have timed it more poorly. This is a significant price drop. I know the sales are final but still totally bummed.I wish they would entertain some consideration.

CapeOne

Jun 14, 2016
New England
I just got mine last Tuesday, could not have timed it more poorly. This is a significant price drop. I know the sales are final but still totally bummed.I wish they would entertain some consideration.
I remember Apple received a lot of backlash when they slashed the price of the original iPhone just months after launch back in 2007. They ended up giving early buyers a $100 Apple credit.

This, however, is a bit different as rebates (which is essentially what the $5k reduction is) are adjusted on new cars pretty regularly.

Beckler

Oct 22, 2012
Canada
This is a reality for any product you buy. Just accept it. It's not adult-level behavior to be all sad and upset. It's no different than crying because little johnny got more treats in his lunchbox than you. :D

Yes, Tesla could have 10-day price protection or something. Would be nice. But they don't. Who cares. Be mature.

Reactions: sukhi

serendipitous

Sep 10, 2019
Maryland, USA
This is a reality for any product you buy. Just accept it. It's not adult-level behavior to be all sad and upset. It's no different than crying because little johnny got more treats in his lunchbox than you. :D

Yes, Tesla could have 10-day price protection or something. Would be nice. But they don't. Who cares. Be mature.

Normally I'd agree, but you're dismissing the fact that when Tesla makes these moves, it impacts resale values as well. This isn't as severe as last year's drop on Performance and Ludicrous, at least, but people invest in cars with an assumption that they're going to depreciate at roughly a certain rate. When the future value of that car is uncertain because of Tesla's pricing whims and these kinds of surprise changes, it's more than just "He got a better deal than I did".

I need this depreciation curve to hold up until I trade mine in on a Plaid S :D

.FP.

May 13, 2020
NY
That appears to be true for "existing inventory" but does it also apply to new orders? If you special order a new MS today, will it include free unlimited supercharging?
Ah, I see what you're saying. Can't say for sure, haven't tried.

Nairb

Jul 7, 2019
BC
$5K price drop may only be to boost sales due to the COVID-19 slump, and might be gone by July 1.
(100% speculation.)

I don't see this as evidence of a covid slump. That's all speculation in every news story about the price drop. Tesla has only said orders are at all time highs. I see it as discounting existing technology and it's inventory and parts supply before introducing S&X with updated batteries, faster charging, and interior come battery day, of which there seems to be growing speculation/anticipation. Updated S&X may also have slightly higher prices. Model 3 might have seen a slump in orders due to the Y being a more desirable crossover design which would explain the drop in price on the 3.

Marvin

Mar 1, 2019
Brussels
Chatted online with a Tesla guy in Belgium and he told me that as of today for new orders the free supercharging is indeed gone :(
Granted a 5k reduction (actually 4800 Euros here) gives you quite a lot of charges....

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC