Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5K/week pushed back to Q2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, here goes plans for EU deliveries in Late 2018 out of window :( If no more delays ( joke?) people who reserved online on 31th will see their TM3 in January 2019....

I'm not giving up just yet.

It depends on the geographical distribution. Why not phase in shipments to Europe at the beginning of Q3/2018? Gives them a chance to distribute the cars evenly over the world, less supercharger conjestion in the US, more potential tax credits etc.

OK probably not.

I doubt they ll be able to reach 5k/week any time in the near future. They just don't have enough people to actually make that many cars... If they want to go from 25k cars/qtr to 20k Model 3's alone in a month, they ll need a lot more workers regardless of efficiency/automation. There's no way to hire that many skilled car builders in such a short time.

• Disagree
Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
I doubt they ll be able to reach 5k/week any time in the near future. They just don't have enough people to actually make that many cars... If they want to go from 25k cars/qtr to 20k Model 3's alone in a month, they ll need a lot more workers regardless of efficiency/automation. There's no way to hire that many skilled car builders in such a short time.

Tesla has had the workforce hired for sometime now to make 5,000 cars a week. This is why they are "burning" through cash and why Wall Street is nervous. They also have the sales force, suppliers lined up and distribution channels set up in order to deliver this number of cars. What we are seeing is all part of typical exponential growth in manufacturing/logistics. 2 steps forward/1 step back. They spent a lot of time focusing and trying to rush as many cars in 2017 as possible to local California owners. Now that the 2017 target is behind them, they will start rolling out things more nationally as it makes more sense for logistics(notice all the East Coast emails going out today). In addition they will continue to fix the "bugs" quicker than they did with the S/X since the M3 was "designed to manufacture easily". Remember there are still very few options and when they get rolling the ramp up will go fast.

If they hit their current updated targets, they will still deliver 150,000 model 3's in the 2nd half of 2018. Think about that for a second. That is pretty much as many cars as they delivered in all of 2016 and 2017 together. That doesn't count a number of around 18-20 K that they will deliver in Q1 2018 and probably around 30-40k in Q2 2018.

Here is the cure for waiting for Tesla-

Alfa Romeo Giulia!

Motortrend Car of the Year

Car and Driver 10 Best

Fantastic lease rates and ahem great quality in surveys.

The “charging” network is amazing!

(Surfboard not included)

Attachments

• E6855CA4-D75E-4BFE-BC3B-B54FCE5E8B21.jpeg
    E6855CA4-D75E-4BFE-BC3B-B54FCE5E8B21.jpeg
    678.6 KB · Views: 65
I think it is a big deal.
If Apple forecasted building and selling 50m iPhones in 2018... But only produced 25 million. It would be a catastrophe.
Musk predicted 300 to 400k model 3s in 2018... If the weekly avg in 2018 is 4000... That is 200k cars for the year. So multiply that 150,000 gap by $45,000 per unit sold...

People here like to say that analysts assume this and therefore it is baked into the stock price. But this cake is gonna get badly burnt
The problem with this analogy is that there were other phones available at the time. Tesla still is really the only game in town. It is true that more cars are coming but until we see some movement on charging infrastructure from other manufacturers the other cars are basically local only. I am not too worried about competition right now.

I hear what you are saying, but Tesla employs over 330K people that does not include a marketing dept at all. Isn't that enough?

Seriously? I get depressed from all the topics popping up complaining about things wizzing and whining and clicking and clunking. A bunch of people complained about warnings that pop up to tell you about broken things that need fixed and then mysteriously disappear... Like this guys road trip Tesla Model 3 Road Trip

The only comforting thing about delays is there's a higher chance that majority of the issues will be worked out on the Q1 crowd.

You should watch the videos from the Model 3 Road Trip stops. I talked to those guys first hand, and in every video I've seen they say the same thing. They think the Model 3 is so good, it will cannibalize Model S sales. Even given the software bugs that are clearly annoying, they're still very positive about the car.

I think it is a big deal.
If Apple forecasted building and selling 50m iPhones in 2018... But only produced 25 million.

This is literally what Apple did early on. iPhones were very hard to come by, and people waited months to get theirs. They also had purchase limits when they went on sale for the first several years of availability.

And they still have massive delays on new products. The AirPods were delayed for months before manufacturing even started, because of problems in the factories. And when they did start coming out, quantities were severely limited. This is life of making complex products, I'm afraid.

You should watch the videos from the Model 3 Road Trip stops. I talked to those guys first hand, and in every video I've seen they say the same thing. They think the Model 3 is so good, it will cannibalize Model S sales. Even given the software bugs that are clearly annoying, they're still very positive about the car.
Yeah, I get the idea that it's novel and exciting and has a bunch of positives, but I also see the growing list of issues, some of which are permanent and some might get corrected couple of years down the road. Thing is, the price of the car will likely be a double of my past purchases, which for the most part were very adequate functionally, so the idea of spending twice as much and getting issues I didn't have in the past ... takes some getting used to.
What I've heard so far, permanent issues:
- back windows roll down only half way
- steering wheel not heated
- back seats are uncomfortable being too low, so your knees are sticking up
- ride feels hard/bumpy if you're in the back
- back window "too high" and hard to look through, so using camera view is preferred, however, camera view is bad especially in the dark or rain/snow to the point of being unusable
- trunk security insufficient: if back door window is broken, trunk can be easily accessed from inside the car (I believe at least some cars have this implemented better)
- some "vampire drain" or battery heating going on, did not read up on this, concern is if you leave your car in the airport for a few weeks it might not start and get you home when you come back, which is not a concern for ICE.
- very loud "getting ready" sounds(clicking/clunking) when you approach the car (might be able to reduce when this happens but likely not the loudness)
- honestly, not very impressive outside trim on some cars, like the stripe in the middle of the doors not being aligned by 0.5 inch or so, which I believe Tesla considers within their margin of error and not needing a fix

"Temporary":
- screen glitches that make maps unusable (for the road trip guy, You You, even Tesla technician visit did not fix this)
- other glitches with lost sound etc. that require "hard reboots"
- AP not to be trusted on 1. Combinations of hills/curves 2. Roads with minimal amount of snow 3. Any construction zone (doesn't see cones and even barrier in the lane - there's a crash video). This puts a fat question mark on the $5K cost/benefit
- other smaller issues with clicking on top of your audio etc
- I think I forgot a bunch of other things

I still feel that there will be more positives to outweight the above. It's just...the perfection doesn't exist. Oh well

Yeah, I get the idea that it's novel and exciting and has a bunch of positives, but I also see the growing list of issues, some of which are permanent and some might get corrected couple of years down the road. Thing is, the price of the car will likely be a double of my past purchases, which for the most part were very adequate functionally, so the idea of spending twice as much and getting issues I didn't have in the past ... takes some getting used to.
What I've heard so far, permanent issues:
- back windows roll down only half way
- steering wheel not heated
- back seats are uncomfortable being too low, so your knees are sticking up
- ride feels hard/bumpy if you're in the back
- back window "too high" and hard to look through, so using camera view is preferred, however, camera view is bad especially in the dark or rain/snow to the point of being unusable
- trunk security insufficient: if back door window is broken, trunk can be easily accessed from inside the car (I believe at least some cars have this implemented better)
- some "vampire drain" or battery heating going on, did not read up on this, concern is if you leave your car in the airport for a few weeks it might not start and get you home when you come back, which is not a concern for ICE.
- very loud "getting ready" sounds(clicking/clunking) when you approach the car (might be able to reduce when this happens but likely not the loudness)
- honestly, not very impressive outside trim on some cars, like the stripe in the middle of the doors not being aligned by 0.5 inch or so, which I believe Tesla considers within their margin of error and not needing a fix

"Temporary":
- screen glitches that make maps unusable (for the road trip guy, You You, even Tesla technician visit did not fix this)
- other glitches with lost sound etc. that require "hard reboots"
- AP not to be trusted on 1. Combinations of hills/curves 2. Roads with minimal amount of snow 3. Any construction zone (doesn't see cones and even barrier in the lane - there's a crash video). This puts a fat question mark on the $5K cost/benefit
- other smaller issues with clicking on top of your audio etc
- I think I forgot a bunch of other things

I still feel that there will be more positives to outweight the above. It's just...the perfection doesn't exist. Oh well
WOW....thanks for writing your forum suicide note. I would be amazed if you are still posting past tomorrow. LOL Just kidding.

Last edited:
Here is the cure for waiting for Tesla-

Alfa Romeo Giulia!

Motortrend Car of the Year

Car and Driver 10 Best

Fantastic lease rates and ahem great quality in surveys.

The “charging” network is amazing!

(Surfboard not included)
The front end of the car looks like an Edsel - sucking a lemon! and Motor Trend informally compared the Julia to a model 3 and Julia did not measure up.