Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5th wheel towing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't you want a larger truck than the Cybertruck for that anyway? A Cab-only Tesla Semi might be a much better idea anyway.
Towing 14k should be a 5th wheel or gooseneck anyway as it is. Very few bumper pull trailers are even rated for 14k because you should have stepped up to a gooseneck by that weight.

Umm people don’t want to have to have a semi to pull some decent weight. That’s why class 2-5 trucks sell so well

I was told that in order to verify the towing capacity a 5th wheel had to be installed and tested on one of the prototypes, as it is not legal to bumper pull 14k on public roads. Not sure how much bed elevation was needed for that 5th wheel hitch to be installed. But 3500 lbs is what they tested the bumper with.

So it can tow 14k lbs. For those that have seen the bed first hand, think we can put a 5th wheel hitch in it?
I'm looking at the same thing... 14k at the bumper is useless. A sliding 5th wheel with a custom mount might work, and/or customize the RV to angle ... wish we could remove those angle pieces for when we want to tow... then we'd be home free.

Where would you mount the frame brackets for the 5th wheel Since it is not a regular frame wouldn't the brackets have to mount in the area where the battery is.
upload_2019-11-24_21-7-26.png

Last edited:
I'm looking at the same thing... 14k at the bumper is useless. A sliding 5th wheel with a custom mount might work, and/or customize the RV to angle ... wish we could remove those angle pieces for when we want to tow... then we'd be home free.
I’m telling you now, there will be no 5th wheel/gooseneck towing with this truck. Clearance is just not there.

I agree 14k at the bumper is useless on a half ton truck. The trailer will be pulling the truck all over the road at the first strong crosswind or lane change.

I’m telling you now, there will be no 5th wheel/gooseneck towing with this truck. Clearance is just not there.

I agree 14k at the bumper is useless on a half ton truck. The trailer will be pulling the truck all over the road at the first strong crosswind or lane change.

Not necessarily. A custom trailer can be made but I'm hoping Tesla considers this prior to actual manufacturing.

Not necessarily. A custom trailer can be made.

Sure you could, but then I would think you would lose a lot of useful flat interior space which is usually where a sleeping area/bed would go because you would essentially have to create upward angled sides on the front underbelly of it in order to provide clearance. It could work but would make the 5th wheels less efficient in space or they would have to re-design the interior space so that it's less of a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.