Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6’6” tall. Is the M3 for me?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
you definetly notice the lack of aerodynamics of a wagon compared to a sedan. Wagon starts chugging fuel like crazy crusing above 160 km/h.
That matters not in a Tesla as both sedan and wagon have stupidly *low drag coefficient. In fact the whole point is moot as the 3 and Y are in essence the same platform, same double wishbone and linkage suspension, etc etc. barring the obvious difference in vehicle class, sedan vs wagon suv.

Last edited:
That matters not in a Tesla as both sedan and wagon have stupidly low coefficient of drag. In fact the whole point is moot as the 3 and Y are in essence the same platform, same double wishbone and linkage suspension, etc etc. barring the obvious difference in vehicle class, sedan vs wagon.
to suggest that a low down sedan like the 3 handles the same as the Y which is higher up and has more drag by sheer size and also extra lenght is just not correct.

Reactions: rpiotro
to suggest that a low down sedan like the 3 handles the same as the Y which is higher up and has more drag by sheer size and also extra lenght is just not correct.
Is that what I wrote? They drive differently because one is like a foot higher sure, but it's not the hyperbole you are trying to suggest.

And FACT, the difference betwen a M3P and MYP skidpad is a humungous.... .01g.

Is that what I wrote? They drive differently because one is like a foot higher sure, but it's not the hyperbole you are trying to suggest.
@thesmokingman I'd say the difference in how the Y and 3 drive is greater than their visual size difference suggests. From the outside the Y looks like a tall hatchback 3, but the driving experience paints a starker contrast. Somehow the Y feels more compromised than just a foot of extra height would suggest.

Y vs 3 is just typical of CUV vs sedan though. It's not even the most extreme example I've experienced of the CUV driving worse, not by a long shot. That would be the X3 (1st gen?) vs E90 3-series. That X3 was awful...

6"5', 230 lbs here. My Model 3 is as comfortable as any car has been for me.

The door pillar on the 3 is not as far forwards as on the S, but both are more forward than on other cars I've owned and they do make a difference getting in and out. That said, they also do make a difference in saving your life in the event of a serious accident, and that's why they're there. And that's why I'm fine with it.

• Helpful
Reactions: tm1v2
@thesmokingman I'd say the difference in how the Y and 3 drive is greater than their visual size difference suggests. From the outside the Y looks like a tall hatchback 3, but the driving experience paints a starker contrast. Somehow the Y feels more compromised than just a foot of extra height would suggest.

Y vs 3 is just typical of CUV vs sedan though. It's not even the most extreme example I've experienced of the CUV driving worse, not by a long shot. That would be the X3 (1st gen?) vs E90 3-series. That X3 was awful...
They're a shared platform. In stock guise the differences are more striking but it's really not much once you get over the obvious. Drop the Y and bolt on the same mods and there is only two seconds a lap difference between them at Laguna Seca for example, Then when we put the difference into context of the Y not having track mode, carrying 400lbs more weight, and a TC system that prevents fun we see that the gap is not that big. If you're wondering what mods, I'm referring to the UP times at Seca.

6"5', 230 lbs here. My Model 3 is as comfortable as any car has been for me.

The door pillar on the 3 is not as far forwards as on the S, but both are more forward than on other cars I've owned and they do make a difference getting in and out. That said, they also do make a difference in saving your life in the event of a serious accident, and that's why they're there. And that's why I'm fine with it.
I'm the same exact size as you and ordered a Model 3 recently. I took a test drive to make sure I fit ok, and I was plenty comfortable after adjusting the seat back. Headroom is always key and it had more than expected. Those sitting behind me may feel differently about this car though.

Reactions: MentalNomad
I am 6'4 and I would say not quite enough to be totally comfortable on long drives with extending the legs. Need to add on the large feet.... The Y however seems a better choice. But I am not yet convinced of obvious quality issues until I sit in one out of the Berlin factory.