Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6’6” tall. Is the M3 for me?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Considering buying a Tesla as a daily driver.

Sat in a Model S last week. Wasnt thrilled that the seat was positioned beside the B pillar when I adjusted it, making getting in and out unpleasant.

Im looking for something I can daily drive but can also fit my 8 and 6 year olds comfortably in the back a couple times a week.

Any tall drivers have input on the Model 3? Or should I give the Model S another shot?

Not interested in a X or Y as I already have two SUVs at home

Not sure the M3 is for you tbh. It sits low(er) to the ground and is definitely a midsize sedan. I am 5' 10" and came from a 2016 Hyundai Sonata and could definitely tell the difference in size/space. You can certainly fit but the seat would be all the way back and down which would leave no legroom in the back seats. The S is going to be much roomier as it is a larger sedan but it still isn't an SUV obviously.

I'm 6' 0" and I cannot put the seat all the way back. I'm probably 2-3" from all the way back. I have driven plenty of S's (non-plaid) and the seat goes to pretty much the same spot for me in them as well. (Also) I cannot stand the position of the B Pillar in the S. I find the S seats and position very uncomfortable. I'm constantly hitting my back/hip on the B pillar getting in the S (non-plaid). My M3 is perfect.

As others have said, there won't be a lot of room behind you. Keep that in mind.

I'm 6'1". Still a long way from 6'6" but I have no problem getting in or out. I use the easy entry feature. Move the steering wheel up and as far away as possible and I actually move the seat forward and up a bit. I kept hitting my hip on the "B" pillar before I did that. Makes ingress and egress easier for me.

Alot of people sit way too far back. Learn how to properly adjust your seating position before checking if u fit in the car.
I sit way too far back, but that's because I'm 6' 4" tall. My hands rest on the steering wheel, but my head is behind the B pillar. I guess I should have bought a Kia, right?

Not. All cars are almost too small for very tall people. You learn to adjust to them. I find the overall size of the S is more comfortable, but I can drive my wife's 3 with no problem. Get what you like best. Probably not a Kia, though.

Reactions: Jeff Davlt
I'm 6'7" and fit just fine. My first litmus test for cars is I have to be able to sit in the driver's seat with the back straight up and not have my head touch the roof. In a M3 I can do that wearing a ball cap and still have room. I'm proportionally sized.
I know what you mean about getting out around the door pillar. I had that going on several years ago with an A4. Best attribute for getting out of the Tesla is that it retracts the steering wheel back towards the dash when I take off my seatbelt.

I’m just 6’2”, tall but not freakishly tall torso. Here are some tips…

Tesla supports an "Easy Access" user profile which is seat and steering wheel settings for getting in /out of the car. I don't remember if demo cars will let you change the profiles , but if you can find one position for entry/exit and another position for driving then you’ll be able to teach it those two things once you take delivery of your own car. I use that for positioning the steering wheel: I like it lower when driving, but have it raise for entry/exit so than it more readily clears my knees.

I also find at some intersections if I’m in front that my view of the light is blocked. This is common for me in many sedans, so I didn’t consider it a knock against the 3. Instead of scrunching down to see the light I can watch the light on the screen to see when it turns green…and that’s a + for me.

If not obvious, the features I’m describing are in all models. Whether you go with 3 or S (or Y or X), the Easy Access profile might be a big thing for you.

I sit way too far back, but that's because I'm 6' 4" tall. My hands rest on the steering wheel, but my head is behind the B pillar. I guess I should have bought a Kia, right?

Not. All cars are almost too small for very tall people. You learn to adjust to them. I find the overall size of the S is more comfortable, but I can drive my wife's 3 with no problem. Get what you like best. Probably not a Kia, though.
With a Kia if you don't like it no worries. It will probably get stolen in short order and then you can fill an insurance claim.

I test drove a M3 and immediately ordered a MY. I'm 6'3" and didn't like the hassle getting in and out and just couldn't find a comfortable position in the M3. I'm very happy with the seating and the rest of my MY.

Like @EVRider-FL said, height is one thing, but a persons particular build is a large portion of this, which is why even in this thread we see some people saying "Im 6'5 and fit fine" and "My boyfriend is 6'4 and didnt fit".

Im 6'3 but have long arms and legs relative to my torso. I fit fine in the model 3, but wouldnt want anyone behind me for a long ride. We just picked up a model Y (Last week) for my wife, who has been driving SUVs for about a decade now. She was coming out of an X3.

I fit in the model Y MUCH better (because it feels more like a mid size SUV than a sedan, which it is). I like driving my model 3 more than her model Y, but like driving her model Y more than the X3 it replaced.

For comfort, I would suggest a model Y to the OP (as well as the likelyhood there will be more space behind OP). If its mostly just OP in the car though, then perhaps a 3 will work.

Sat in a Model S last week. Wasnt thrilled that the seat was positioned beside the B pillar when I adjusted it, making getting in and out unpleasant.

Im looking for something I can daily drive but can also fit my 8 and 6 year olds comfortably in the back a couple times a week.

Any tall drivers have input on the Model 3? Or should I give the Model S another shot?

Like @EVRider-FL said, height is one thing, but a persons particular build is a large portion of this, which is why even in this thread we see some people saying "Im 6'5 and fit fine" and "My boyfriend is 6'4 and didnt fit".

Im 6'3 but have long arms and legs relative to my torso. I fit fine in the model 3, but wouldnt want anyone behind me for a long ride. We just picked up a model Y (Last week) for my wife, who has been driving SUVs for about a decade now. She was coming out of an X3.

I fit in the model Y MUCH better (because it feels more like a mid size SUV than a sedan, which it is). I like driving my model 3 more than her model Y, but like driving her model Y more than the X3 it replaced.

For comfort, I would suggest a model Y to the OP (as well as the likelyhood there will be more space behind OP). If its mostly just OP in the car though, then perhaps a 3 will work.

Problem I found is my kids used to be 8 & 6 and fitted fine. But they grew and now don’t fit. Y a much better choice as extra seat height generates a lot more leg room and creates more space for feet under the seat.

6'6" here with a model 3. It's great for me. Lots of headroom to spare. Don't feel like I'm driving a car that's made for people smaller than me.