Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6’6” tall. Is the M3 for me?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'n 6'6" as well. I have a Model S. Entering and exiting are a bit of a challenge but I've decided that one doesn't get into a Model S, s/he puts it on and wears it. Very comfortable for me to drive. I don't drive with the seat all the way back so my daughter has no problem sitting behind me. I found the room in the Model 3 pretty similar but believe it may not have as much leg room if the seat is to be all the way back.

I’m 6’0 and I have the seat as low as it can go and I love it. Easy to get in and out of even in my old age. The only issue will be if you have a passenger behind you in the back seat. If not you should be fine. Otherwise, it’ll be like riding in the back seat of a coupe.

I'm 6'5" and I fit fine. I drive with the seat back at a pretty relaxed angle, and my head is behind the B pillar pretty much, but that is also true of my S. I have no trouble driving for hours like this, other than appreciating a little more padding in the seat. As already said, passengers don't fit well behind the driver's seat when tall people drive, but I always tell them there's more room in the trunk.

6'6" here with a model 3. It's great for me. Lots of headroom to spare. Don't feel like I'm driving a car that's made for people smaller than me.
Hows the space behind you?

I should be able to go by the Tesla store next week sometime. Will take the kids with me so they can sit in the back.

Have been considering a Mach-E also. Only because that $7500 Tax Rebate is damn attractive.... I hear long legs and the drivers seat dont mix well with the MachE though. Will have a look next week as well.

Considering buying a Tesla as a daily driver.

Sat in a Model S last week. Wasnt thrilled that the seat was positioned beside the B pillar when I adjusted it, making getting in and out unpleasant.

Im looking for something I can daily drive but can also fit my 8 and 6 year olds comfortably in the back a couple times a week.

Any tall drivers have input on the Model 3? Or should I give the Model S another shot?

Not interested in a X or Y as I already have two SUVs at home

my dads friend at work is probably at least 6 foot 4 or 5 and he bought a model 3. Doesnt particularly get hyped by EVs, it was just the only sedan he could sit in.
Other option would have been an SUV but in europe streets are smaller and parking places small so he wanted a sedan.

Hows the space behind you?

I should be able to go by the Tesla store next week sometime. Will take the kids with me so they can sit in the back.

Have been considering a Mach-E also. Only because that $7500 Tax Rebate is damn attractive.... I hear long legs and the drivers seat dont mix well with the MachE though. Will have a look next week as well.
There is no space behind the driver's seat if it is adjusted for a tall driver to be comfortable. Almost all of my cars have essentially been 3 seaters.

My 18' long 69 Impala is a notable exception.

I am over 6'6" and have no problem with my Model 3. The Model S (which I have had on loan a couple of times during maintenance) is much worse getting in and out due to the forward position of the B pillar.

I have removed the foam inside my dead pedal (per other posts on these forums) which is better for my left leg.

I am also over 70 and have no trouble getting in or out. However, my 93 year old Mother can't do it very well so I have to drive her in her own wretched vehicle. My wife also does not like getting in and out so I plan to move to a Model Y when they become more available -- seats approx 5" higher above the ground as I understand it.

All cars are 3 seaters when I am driving but I have a profile for when someone is behind me -- wheel in instead of out and seat much further forward. That is acceptable for brief periods.

I wish the seat base was deeper front to back or had one of those extensions.

• Informative
Reactions: TunaBug
I am over 6'6" and have no problem with my Model 3. The Model S (which I have had on loan a couple of times during maintenance) is much worse getting in and out due to the forward position of the B pillar.

I have removed the foam inside my dead pedal (per other posts on these forums) which is better for my left leg.

I am also over 70 and have no trouble getting in or out. However, my 93 year old Mother can't do it very well so I have to drive her in her own wretched vehicle. My wife also does not like getting in and out so I plan to move to a Model Y when they become more available -- seats approx 5" higher above the ground as I understand it.

All cars are 3 seaters when I am driving but I have a profile for when someone is behind me -- wheel in instead of out and seat much further forward. That is acceptable for brief periods.

I wish the seat base was deeper front to back or had one of those extensions.

explain the foam bit? my dead pedal is just plastic?

explain the foam bit? my dead pedal is just plastic?
The internal structure of the dead pedal is foam. It can be removed which gives your left leg more room to stretch -- very nice for us tall people. The outside is still there which sticks up a bit and I'm sure people who care more about appearance than function would not like it. However, I find it to be a real comfort improvement. It's not as good as my wife's 2018 Volvo, unfortunately, which has room for my foot on the floor between the brake and the dead pedal.

I got the info about it here: Model 3, pedal space to rest left foot?

• Love
Reactions: beachmiles
Model Y sure has a ton of headroom.... FYI
^ This. Model Y seating positions are very comfortable to me, front and back. I definitely suggest checking out the Y too. I'm tall-ish though not 6'6".

I bought a 3 anyways because I find it much more satisfying to drive, but the Y wins by a mile in terms of seating position comfort (and cargo hauling). And lots of people don't feel much difference between how the 3 and Y drive (even though to me they're quite different).

^ This. Model Y seating positions are very comfortable to me, front and back. I definitely suggest checking out the Y too. I'm tall-ish though not 6'6".

I bought a 3 anyways because I find it much more satisfying to drive, but the Y wins by a mile in terms of seating position comfort (and cargo hauling). And lots of people don't feel much difference between how the 3 and Y drive (even though to me they're quite different).

i might add here that the Y IS a bigger car and the 3 would also be a lot nicer if it would have just been made 6cm longer like the Y.....

i think depends where you live. I.e. when you drive 80 to 100km/h in Australia I am sure there isnt that much difference between the BMW 5 series wagon and sedan and your old Hilux. But above 140km/h you really notice a huge difference in handling between the 5 series wagon and sedan and above 160km/h the wagen really starts handling very poorly compared to the sedan - and thats not even comparing an SUV to a sedan.
So I think if you live in parts of the USA where such speeds are a bit more common i.e. Taxas/Montana/northern usa then you probs feel a bit stronger about that.

• Helpful
Reactions: tm1v2
i think depends where you live. I.e. when you drive 80 to 100km/h in Australia I am sure there isnt that much difference between the BMW 5 series wagon and sedan and your old Hilux. But above 140km/h you really notice a huge difference in handling between the 5 series wagon and sedan and above 160km/h the wagen really starts handling very poorly compared to the sedan - and thats not even comparing an SUV to a sedan.
So I think if you live in parts of the USA where such speeds are a bit more common i.e. Taxas/Montana/northern usa then you probs feel a bit stronger about that.
@Candleflame That's actually really interesting, I've never driven the same car same trim as a sedan and wagon. In theory a sedan should have some advantages, like unibody stiffness, and I think better aerodynamics too, so what you experienced makes sense to me. I'm a big fan of wagons for being so practical while mostly driving like a sedan...but I guess not exactly like a sedan.

Even touching 160kmh / 100 mph is rare for me these days, but I'm on twisty hillside / canyon roads pretty frequently. They're wonderful fun, and they expose many handling flaws and weaknesses too. It just took one quick test drive to feel how the M3P is too soft and bouncy from the factory, with poor body control and delayed responses when the going gets fast and rough. I'll be upgrading dampers, springs, and some bushings shortly, which will hopefully address that. :)

Adding to my post above, in almost every case where I've driven a sedan and its closely related CUV cousin, the sedan drives vastly better. Tesla 3 vs Y (2021), Subaru Impreza vs Forester (mid 2000s), BMW 3-series vs X3 (early 2010s)...the sedan is way, way better to drive than the CUV. Which is why I generally don't like crossovers. A wagon is a better tradeoff to me.

The one exception was Audi A4 vs Q5 (early 2010s). I was very pleasantly surprised by the Q5, and that gen A4 was kind of mediocre. I think I actually liked the Q5 more. The Q5 I tested had a better engine though, it wasn't 100% apples-to-apples.

Last edited:
@Candleflame That's actually really interesting, I've never driven the same car same trim as a sedan and wagon. In theory a sedan should have some advantages, like unibody stiffness, and I think better aerodynamics too, so what you experienced makes sense to me. I'm a big fan of wagons for being so practical while mostly driving like a sedan...but I guess not exactly like a sedan.

Even touching 160kmh / 100 mph is rare for me these days, but I'm on twisty hillside / canyon roads pretty frequently. They're wonderful fun, and they expose many handling flaws and weaknesses too. It just took one quick test drive to feel how the M3P is too soft and bouncy from the factory, with poor body control and delayed responses when the going gets fast and rough. I'll be upgrading dampers, springs, and some bushings shortly, which will hopefully address that. :)

you definetly notice the lack of aerodynamics of a wagon compared to a sedan. Wagon starts chugging fuel like crazy crusing above 160 km/h.