Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6.0 don't rely on my tesla for a key

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I upgraded to 6.0 two days ago and today I go out on a drive with my kids without my key and just my phone. Guess that was a stupid idea. Now I can't start the car because the app says unable to reach my tesla. Car and phone both have solid internet connnectivity and tried rebooting. Couldn't get telsa on the phone.

Reliable? No.

So I upgraded to 6.0 two days ago and today I go out on a drive with my kids without my key and just my phone. Guess that was a stupid idea. Now I can't start the car because the app says unable to reach my tesla. Car and phone both have solid internet connnectivity and tried rebooting. Couldn't get telsa on the phone.

Reliable? No.
Yes. As long as it requires WAN access and Tesla server access, it's an emergency-use only feature.

I hope for a future version that uses BT for authentication.

Reliable? No.

I think the Tesla servers may have been done for about an hour this morning. See the thread "iPhone App V2.0".

I just tried the new "Start" function in the V2 app and it worked perfectly. I think it is pretty cool.

According to my REST logger, the server went down between (approximately)...
9‎/‎21‎/‎2014‎ ‎7‎:‎29‎:‎42‎ ‎AM PT
and...
‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2014‎ ‎8‎:‎42‎:‎25‎ ‎AM PT

Reliable? No.
I'd never leave without a key. The phone unlock is a great backup for an emergency, but there's no way I'm depending on my phone and vagaries of 3g connectivity and internet servers for something that critical.

Reliable? No.

It never even occurred to me that this was anything other than an emergency use feature. Definitely not planning to ditch the keys just yet. And besides, auto-presenting handles is just about the coolest thing in the world. I'd never give that up!

Look at all the publicity Tesla got with this feature. I think that's the real purpose, the gee whiz factor, not that we're going to ditch our key fobs.

I know. I was kinda surprised at how the media picked that from all the features added in six for their headlines - Tesla can now start using iPhone! Are they too dumb or are they smart enough to know the keywords that will attract more hits? "iPhone"??

I know. I was kinda surprised at how the media picked that from all the features added in six for their headlines - Tesla can now start using iPhone! Are they too dumb or are they smart enough to know the keywords that will attract more hits? "iPhone"??
I also find it curious that the press misses the point that being available on Android and iPhone (and probably soon Windows Phone thanks to some forum members) is more compelling than just an iPhone specific implementation. They see the opportunity to put iPhone and Tesla in a headline and the content is irrelevant. They know they'll get eyeballs.

i guess I'm one of those suckers who was really looking forward to using my new iphone 6 as the key fob with tesla version 6, definitely cool that my favorite car company appears to be working with my favorite computer company. hopefully they make it work more smoothly with future iterations. I really look forward to the day when my phone/watch opens my car, my garage and my house as I approach. it seems like we are so close to that kind of integration potential.

i guess I'm one of those suckers who was really looking forward to using my new iphone 6 as the key fob with tesla version 6, definitely cool that my favorite car company appears to be working with my favorite computer company. hopefully they make it work more smoothly with future iterations. I really look forward to the day when my phone/watch opens my car, my garage and my house as I approach. it seems like we are so close to that kind of integration potential.

You can unlock your home door seamlessly, as you approach it, using your phone/watch* already - using Bluetooth LE locks.
For the car, not sure if the MS has the Bluetooth LE hardware. If it doesn't, unlocking directly from phone seamlessly (just like the key fob) cannot be achieved.
Garage can be unlocked just like your home. Not sure if you'd want to open it automatically when you approach.

* Android Wear capable watch right now, your favorite company's watch next year.

Computers have worked with wires for many years, why would I need wireless. TVs have worked without remotes for years, why would I need a remote. TVs have worked without DVRs, why would I need a recorder. We never had text messaging before, why would I ever need to send a message to someone? Who would ever use something called twitter to send only 140 characters to everyone? Cars have worked with gas for decades, why would I need it to run on batteries? Just saying, there are a lot of things in life that when you look back on, you never thought you would need, but now may not live without.

I haven't used it yet, but does it hurt to have it?

This is a stupid gimmick feature. Cars have been out for over a century, and when has not needing a key been an issue? I have owned cars for 20+ years and never needed something like this. Dumb.